• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

haveaguiness

Coach
If anyone could give me some advise on the following matter I would very much appreciate it...

Basically, I moved into a flat a while ago (renting), and we were told we had use of Both parking spaces on the drive out the front (Landlord owns the freehold or something). Now when we moved in a car was parked in one of the spots so we questioned the landlord and he got on to the flats below us.

One of the flat owners downstairs (one is rented the other is purchased) claimed that he had squatters rights on the parking spot because he had used it for so many years, but when we asked to see some proof he didn't show us, but said he would send it to our Landlord (never happened). We have been trying to get it sorted with the Landlord, but nothing is getting done.

This hasn't been a problem until now as they have branched out their minibus company (they had 1 when we moved in, they now have 4 between 2 of them). So they now take up 4 parking spots in the road with minibuses and the spot on our drive.

Now what I want to know is whether we can do anything about him claiming squatters rights on the drive, something like, asking the council if they have any record of him filing for such a document to entitle him to it, or whether it is even possible...

Second I was wondering if there were any restrictions as to how many vehicles a private company are allowed to park on a public road (long shot I know but there must be some sort of restriction?)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

If anyone could give me some advise on the following matter I would very much appreciate it...

Basically, I moved into a flat a while ago (renting), and we were told we had use of Both parking spaces on the drive out the front (Landlord owns the freehold or something). Now when we moved in a car was parked in one of the spots so we questioned the landlord and he got on to the flats below us.

One of the flat owners downstairs (one is rented the other is purchased) claimed that he had squatters rights on the parking spot because he had used it for so many years, but when we asked to see some proof he didn't show us, but said he would send it to our Landlord (never happened). We have been trying to get it sorted with the Landlord, but nothing is getting done.

This hasn't been a problem until now as they have branched out their minibus company (they had 1 when we moved in, they now have 4 between 2 of them). So they now take up 4 parking spots in the road with minibuses and the spot on our drive.

Now what I want to know is whether we can do anything about him claiming squatters rights on the drive, something like, asking the council if they have any record of him filing for such a document to entitle him to it, or whether it is even possible...

Second I was wondering if there were any restrictions as to how many vehicles a private company are allowed to park on a public road (long shot I know but there must be some sort of restriction?)

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

By renting, I take it you mean a short term let?

What does your lease say about those parking spaces, if anything? Does it grant you exclusive right to them, or do you share them?

Do you know if the property is registered land?

By renting, I take it you mean a short term let?

What does your lease say about those parking spaces, if anything? Does it grant you exclusive right to them, or do you share them?

Do you know if the property is registered land?

Yes short term and the lease states that we have exclusive right to BOTH parking spaces.

What do you mean by registered land? All I know is that the Landlord owns the freehold for the land and therefore owns both parking spaces, garden etc

Yes short term and the lease states that we have exclusive right to BOTH parking spaces.

What do you mean by registered land? All I know is that the Landlord owns the freehold for the land and therefore owns both parking spaces, garden etc

Haveaguiness, Ive pm'd you regarding 'registered land'. Take a look at the official copy entries. Or get your landlord to do the leg work as he should be providing you with what is agreed.

OK, quick answer because I don't have either the time nor all the facts for a full answer:

Being a short term let, I think this is basically an issue for the landlord, not you, to sort out. If he doesn't, it'll effect the value of his freehold and he's potentially in breach of the lease (depending on the terms of the lease).

The trouble is, it may appear to be cheaper to let you walk and replace you as tenant than to sort the problem out as that may involve spending money and getting solicitors involved to write a letter or two. I'd suggest that this is a false economy as this is an issue that will need to be sorted anyway if he ever wants to sell or (re)mortgage the property.

I expect the downstairs flat is unlikely to have adverse possession. Most land is now registered land (basically HM Land Registry keeps a register of who owns what) and it's a lot harder to get adverse possession over registered land, as HM Land Registry will write to the registered owner and warn them, they then have something like 65 days to object and then they have 2 years to evict. It's also unlikely that regularly using a car-parking space would constitute adverse possession - unless they've fenced it off or something. If they have a claim it's more likely to be an easement, giving them a non-exclusive right to park. Either claim can be defeated by showing that it was exercised with the landowner's consent.

Back