• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Parliamentary Petition to allow fans back into grounds

Yes.I suspect a majority of those who’ve signed are the younger element and some of them,not many you’d hope,believing they are safe ,don’t care too much who they pass it on to.
I wonder how many of these have realised they wouldn’t be allowed to shout out,let alone sing or chant?
I think you would be surprised. I am in my 70's and I'm angry that the young are being told to restrict their lives to supposedly protect people like me. Also I may not have many years left and I don't want to spend any of them hiding from life. Just open up everything and let us get on with our lives as we choose to do so, not how politicians think we should.

With a growing number of top medical people now saying herd immunity is the only way forward......Stadiums should be opened to at least 50%, with hugging and contact encouraged.

Of course if your at risk or you are just scared, no one if forcing you into a stadium......But the quicker the herd have all had it the safer you will be when you have to venture out to the shops etc......Would you rather shop with 100 people who can't be positive because they have all had it or 100 who may well be positive as they pass you or touch your shopping?

Parents should have Covid parties instead of locking up their children.

Herd immunity - you let the weak cows die and the rest of the herd will be fine. Classy ?

Herd immunity does work for things like measles , mumps and polio - via vaccines. In the absence of a vaccine it's a potential disaster.

Oh and unless I've missed something, it's not yet proven you can't get it again.

What is needed is a stringent, robust, NHS track and trace system not the one this hapless Government has royally ****ed up and people doing what they should.

Not sure about this. Would love to be allowed back in, and think in the majority of stadia at our level that social distancing is do-able in theory. In practice it won’t happen though - taking SUFC as an example, too many of our fans would do whatever they wanted if allowed back in and kick off with whoever is in authority if challenged. Not fair on the stewards etc who would have to sort the mess out. Easier to reopen theatres where customers will comply.

And how are they ensuring that for the 4,700 people going to the concert at the O2 in December? Or any of the other indoor venues that remain open, or have plans to open their doors in the next couple of months? There isn’t a 100% guarantee there will be no spread in these places, yet they are allowed to open their doors and outdoor football stadiums aren’t. Why the inconsistency?

I'm not. I don't think the O2 should be opened either. However, the difference is the size, and the massive amount of space around the O2.

heart wants it to happen ……..brain tells me it wont

Colchester would be ok as most of their fans are from the same household

have a feeling it wont happen not before christmas

Herd immunity - you let the weak cows die and the rest of the herd will be fine. Classy ?

Herd immunity does work for things like measles , mumps and polio - via vaccines. In the absence of a vaccine it's a potential disaster.

Oh and unless I've missed something, it's not yet proven you can't get it again.

What is needed is a stringent, robust, NHS track and trace system not the one this hapless Government has royally ****ed up and people doing what they should.

The people who know what their talking about have suggested the weak cows stay in the barn whilst the the healthy cows, especially those under 60, all go out in the field.

The longer you hide them all away the more the risk increases.

You should try listening to them, as they explain better than me.

I'm not. I don't think the O2 should be opened either. However, the difference is the size, and the massive amount of space around the O2.
There may be more room outside but what about when the 4,700 people all want to use North Greenwich tube station when the concert is finished? One of the main arguments against football is people mixing before/after the game. But surely 2,000 people leaving Roots Hall onto open air streets is less of a risk than 4,700 people piling into an underground station after a concert. If one is allowed then the other should be as well.

I think you would be surprised. I am in my 70's and I'm angry that the young are being told to restrict their lives to supposedly protect people like me. Also I may not have many years left and I don't want to spend any of them hiding from life. Just open up everything and let us get on with our lives as we choose to do so, not how politicians think we should.

I would argue they're being asked to protect people like my dad, who had a serious heart attack and a double bypass about 18 months ago and is 80.

Moreover, my sister's father in law is 70. He caught covid-19 and was on a ventilator for 11 weeks. He's been off it now for some time, but can hardly walk and has aged about 10 years. You might talk like that now, but you're advocating a risky strategy that could (and I pray doesn't) leave you in such a state.

There may be more room outside but what about when the 4,700 people all want to use North Greenwich tube station when the concert is finished? One of the main arguments against football is people mixing before/after the game. But surely 2,000 people leaving Roots Hall onto open air streets is less of a risk than 4,700 people piling into an underground station after a concert. If one is allowed then the other should be as well.

Why are you asking me to justify something I've said I don't agree with?

Why are you asking me to justify something I've said I don't agree with?
You said there was a difference and the O2 has more space, implying it’s less of a risk than football. I’m simply disagreeing with that by pointing out the fact that nearly 5,000 people will be wanting to use an underground station at the same time. I’m not asking you to justify it.

I would argue they're being asked to protect people like my dad, who had a serious heart attack and a double bypass about 18 months ago and is 80.

Moreover, my sister's father in law is 70. He caught covid-19 and was on a ventilator for 11 weeks. He's been off it now for some time, but can hardly walk and has aged about 10 years. You might talk like that now, but you're advocating a risky strategy that could (and I pray doesn't) leave you in such a state.
Yes the virus can cause serious problems for the vulnerable and they should be protected, but not by shutting down the country. They can choose by themselves to self isolate. There are probably more people at risk of serious medical problems due to lack of tests/treatments caused by hospital and clinic shutdowns.

My brother-in-law has just returned home after 4 months in an induced coma, 5 months altogether in ITU with pneumonia, blood clots, multiple organ failure and more. He then spent a further month being treated for permanent kidney failure and building some strength up so he can walk, talk, and breathe, although not like he could before.
He is under 50, non-smoker, not obese, reasonably fit and thinks he caught this while working in a supermarket and observing safety guidelines. So I can see what a bitch this disease is to catch and even more so to get rid of.
I voted for this petition though because I think that the safety measures that were going to be introduced would have meant that the risk of attending a football match would be much smaller than the other things I'm being told are ok. At some point we need to return to some sort of normal society, I think this could be a small, acceptable risk, step towards that.

Yes the virus can cause serious problems for the vulnerable and they should be protected, but not by shutting down the country. They can choose by themselves to self isolate. There are probably more people at risk of serious medical problems due to lack of tests/treatments caused by hospital and clinic shutdowns.

But they can't. They still need to go out as well.

The people who know what their talking about have suggested the weak cows stay in the barn whilst the the healthy cows, especially those under 60, all go out in the field.

The longer you hide them all away the more the risk increases.

You should try listening to them, as they explain better than me.
Not sure how many healthy cows we have in the West Stand left!

Maybe, maybe not but they would be able to choose when and why and take precautions, masks etc, as they see fit.

I think I remember reading that around 25% of the population fall into the vulnerable category.

Many of those still work, still pay taxes & still contribute to society in a whole host of different ways.

They won’t get to choose if they can shield themselves or not.

Sophy Ridge was at our ground the other day talking about this very subject, she was doing a piece for her Sunday programme on SKY news. I gather she will be going to other EFL clubs too to talk to their owners etc

I think I remember reading that around 25% of the population fall into the vulnerable category.

Many of those still work, still pay taxes & still contribute to society in a whole host of different ways.

They won’t get to choose if they can shield themselves or not.
Don't they classify anyone over 60 vulnerable, whether they have any other medical conditions or not. If they haven't the death rate is very low. For under 60 only medical problems make them vulnerable. Maybe a better idea than the current lockdown would be to furlough those working vulnerable with existing known medical problems and let the remainder carry on as pre virus normal.

Back