• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pass a Poppy...

J

The Chameleon
Morning Chaps and Chapesses..

I am currently away at the moment, so not been on for a while.

However, i thought with a week to go, i would start this again, which is pass a poppy.

I posted something similar last year, and the idea is, maybe, just until the 11th November, possibly you may choose a poppy in your avatar or signature?

Why?

Why is it important to wear poppies, or why is it important to remember?

Well, what else can we do? To remember the dead, the living, the left behind. The people who have served our countries as heroes...

I for one will always salute them.

Take 5 minutes, to put a poppy picture as an avatar or something the like, a small gesture i know, but a worthy one.

Also, if you haven't bought a poppy yet, try to.

I absolutely hate reality TV voting shows, other than Strictly. But X-FACTOR released their single Hero, for the Help for Heroes charity, and RBL.

See below..

Thanks for your time.

www.britishlegion.org.uk www.poppy.org.uk

www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Here is mine -

logo.png

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam;
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,

In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.
The Soldier

Rupert Brooke

Anyone who is an ipod user - just log on the the Itunes store and purchase the single. Even if you don't really like the song, just buy it, it's only 79p, then you can always delete it after!

It wasn't the away end, it was the West Stand.

Was it? From where I was in the West (centre line) looking over that way, there was a load of away supporters on the end of their block still chanting and yelling and stuff so assumed it was directed at them.

Forgive me for not changing my avatar. I am very pro the poppy appeal partly because my grandfather fought in the second world war, but mainly because all soldiers put their lives on the line so that I have the freedom to post my thoughts on a thread like this without the threat of violence from any kind of authority.

However, for me, buying a poppy is a personal thing that I don't really want to share with other people. So much so, I never wear my poppy. I always buy one (and give a rather large amount for it), but don't wear it. That is partly to do with keeping it personal, and partly because I don't want it to get creased or roughed up in any way. I like my poppy to look perfect, much like a soldier does with his uniform.

I know this is rather a strange sentiment, but that's just me I suppose. I hope it doesn't offend anyone. I just wanted to explain why I won't change my avatar...

The RBL will always be in my debt. When my Grandad became ill. Which left him unable to walk much. They paid for him to have a mobility scooter back when there were hardly around. When he died they paid for his funeral and full military honours.

Just going through some off my Grandads stuff has bought a tear to my eye.

R.I.P. Grandad and all those who have lost their life's for this country, and also a salute for those who have been injured fighting for this country

GroupRangersSaluting.jpg

Last edited:
Back