• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Passion

Irate Ian

Members
You can bet your bottom dollar that the teams in the bottom third will be putting 100% efforts to move out and away from the drop zone.

Are we up to doing the same to keep our distance.

With a view to a possible dogfight in the relegation battle, which players have enough of the qualities needed to get out of it:-

[1] Passion that is and will be expected of them

[2] Controlled agressive and combatative play

[3] The sheer determination and spirit to force a change of luck

Starters for 10: Adam Barratt and Peter Clarke

You can bet your bottom dollar that the teams in the bottom third will be putting 100% efforts to move out and away from the drop zone.

With a view to a possible dogfight in the relegation battle, which players have enough of the qualities needed to get out of it:-

Whilst those 3 qualities are essential in any team for any type of success to be possible, they alone would not be enough to stem the threat of relegation.

They are essential, but so is a certain amount of quality, and without that, eventually, all the passion and commitment in the world will not be enough to see you through - yesterday was a prime example.

I would say the genuine lack of quality amongst our squad is a bigger worry than the commitment and passion being shown by the players out there. I don't think anyone could ever question the commitment players such as Barrett, Clarke and McCormack show, but history should tell you that those guys giving it their all is not enough - They were fully committed in the Championship, but when the quality isn't there, you will ultimately fail.

It's not committment and passion we need now, it's players in possession of the quality we need to win games, and we need that un abundance in January.

Mildenhall

As was put in the racing post before the start of the season by Mark Langdon who tipped us to get relegated, the players that steve tilson has had to bring in through the loan system, may not have the passion in them for the dogfight of relegation when they know at the end of the season the can go back to there parent clubs. He tipped us to go down and i know i will get stick but, i backed us to get relegated before that tip in the paper and before we signed those loan players and dougie freedman etc.

Well lets all hope you fail miserably to collect on
that one then !

This is a good point. Gambling - many go to away
games, have a bet hoping to make a profit on the
day after paying for ticket and travel.

Wonder if the irateness of some may be fuelled by
personal betting losses ?

Macca, controlled and aggression just don't go together.... :D

Don't know about Sunday, but thought Macca did pretty well on those counts for 95% of the match on Boxing Day!

It's the loyalty thing though really isn't it? Those that feel an affinity to the club and the fans, and really that only applies to those who've been here a little while. I expect Christophe to become a fully paid up member of that club though, and Harding if he stays.

Whilst those 3 qualities are essential in any team for any type of success to be possible, they alone would not be enough to stem the threat of relegation.

They are essential, but so is a certain amount of quality, and without that, eventually, all the passion and commitment in the world will not be enough to see you through - yesterday was a prime example.

I would say the genuine lack of quality amongst our squad is a bigger worry than the commitment and passion being shown by the players out there. I don't think anyone could ever question the commitment players such as Barrett, Clarke and McCormack show, but history should tell you that those guys giving it their all is not enough - They were fully committed in the Championship, but when the quality isn't there, you will ultimately fail.

It's not committment and passion we need now, it's players in possession of the quality we need to win games, and we need that un abundance in January.

In a dogfight you can have an abundence of talent, which may be totally wasted if the individuals are not wholly and 100% committed to the cause.

It's what sorts the men out from the boys. When the going gets tough etc.

A bit like the Fulham -v- Chelsea fightback, recently. Chelsea may have all the riches of talent, but it counts for not a jot if the will to win is missing.

Football that is pleasing on the eye can be great, but mixing it up with route one occasionally and battering down defences with brute force and determination to break down that wall, can also work.

Shots from range or a shoot on sight policy and having the forwards following up for re-bounds would be a step in the right direction at times, IMO.

Results can be achievable by getting angry, it also helps to control/over-ride nerves in the heat of battles.

We saw a glimmer of it in the final 10-15 minutes in the Northampton game, when the crowd also got behind the team, but only after the sending off.

That spark or igniting of the blue touch paper needs to be introduced from the first blast of the refs whistle in both halves and maintained for 90 + minutes.

Never underestimate the effect confidence will have on a player. This unfortunately is what I have witnessed recently at times in the Northampton match and more so at MK Dons.

When a player is low on confidence he will treat the ball like a hot potato and look to get rid at every opportunity. Very often the pass will be a good one but in an area of the pitch that won't cause any damage, like on the halfway line. Consequently teams that are low on confidence play really good football in their own half but lack a cutting edge or that incisive through ball. Playrs don't make themselves available from throw ins etc...

Sound familiar?

It's all down to the psychology and the fact that if they don't do anything then they can't do anything wrong.

Francis, Revell, Betsy and Grant I would place in that category. Some may be surprised at the inclusion of Revell in that but despite his phenomenal work rate he doesn't actually do anything with the ball when he gets it. Chasing lost causes is a fantastic get out for a player low on confidence as they aren't expected to come out with anything and if they do it's a bonus.

This is where we miss Freddy and Gower. No matter how bad a game they were having they would always be willing to try something and would always want the ball. I think Freedman will be similar as will Barnard and personally I think our ability to consolidate in this league depends entirely on their fitness.

Never underestimate the effect confidence will have on a player. This unfortunately is what I have witnessed recently at times in the Northampton match and more so at MK Dons.

When a player is low on confidence he will treat the ball like a hot potato and look to get rid at every opportunity. Very often the pass will be a good one but in an area of the pitch that won't cause any damage, like on the halfway line. Consequently teams that are low on confidence play really good football in their own half but lack a cutting edge or that incisive through ball. Playrs don't make themselves available from throw ins etc...

Sound familiar?

It's all down to the psychology and the fact that if they don't do anything then they can't do anything wrong.

Francis, Revell, Betsy and Grant I would place in that category. Some may be surprised at the inclusion of Revell in that but despite his phenomenal work rate he doesn't actually do anything with the ball when he gets it. Chasing lost causes is a fantastic get out for a player low on confidence as they aren't expected to come out with anything and if they do it's a bonus.

This is where we miss Freddy and Gower. No matter how bad a game they were having they would always be willing to try something and would always want the ball. I think Freedman will be similar as will Barnard and personally I think our ability to consolidate in this league depends entirely on their fitness.

That's pretty good actually, Macca doesn't fit in to that category and is always looking for the right ball. The fact it doesn't always come off is beside the point, he's always after the ball, whichever position he's been asked to play.

Macca has the passion and desire but seems to need to regain the box to box stamina and level of fitness following his absence.

The more games he gets under his belt the better and if he ever regains his shooting boots, we will all be celebrating.

One goal in 7 games from the whole team speaks volumes as to why we find oursleves only 3 wins off the drop zone.

In a dogfight you can have an abundence of talent, which may be totally wasted if the individuals are not wholly and 100% committed to the cause.

It's what sorts the men out from the boys. When the going gets tough etc.

A bit like the Fulham -v- Chelsea fightback, recently. Chelsea may have all the riches of talent, but it counts for not a jot if the will to win is missing.

Football that is pleasing on the eye can be great, but mixing it up with route one occasionally and battering down defences with brute force and determination to break down that wall, can also work.

Shots from range or a shoot on sight policy and having the forwards following up for re-bounds would be a step in the right direction at times, IMO.

Results can be achievable by getting angry, it also helps to control/over-ride nerves in the heat of battles.

We saw a glimmer of it in the final 10-15 minutes in the Northampton game, when the crowd also got behind the team, but only after the sending off.

That spark or igniting of the blue touch paper needs to be introduced from the first blast of the refs whistle in both halves and maintained for 90 + minutes.

The thing is, passion and committment alone will only get you so far - we already know how much passion and committment were shown by messers Barrett, Clarke and McCormack in our relegation fight in the Championship, but because we did not possess enough quality, we were ultimately relegated.

You're right, without any kind of committment, all the talent in the world would be useless, but we know we have players committed to the cause, what we don't have right now is enough players with the required skill to get us moving up the table.

The thing is, passion and committment alone will only get you so far - we already know how much passion and committment were shown by messers Barrett, Clarke and McCormack in our relegation fight in the Championship, but because we did not possess enough quality, we were ultimately relegated.

You're right, without any kind of committment, all the talent in the world would be useless, but we know we have players committed to the cause, what we don't have right now is enough players with the required skill to get us moving up the table.

I am already a believer and witnessed the spirit of St Andrews & St Marys.

Whether the required level of skill is present is a matter of conjecture, but there seems to have been a decline in confidence which can impact upon determination to turn it around.

The best way out of a rut is to keep in there slugging and get downright angry and determined to reverse the trend.

We need to burgle a few goals and the confidence will I am sure come flooding back.

Last edited:
Back