• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Passion

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I have been a fan for a few years now and seen some dross teams and some great related to OUR club. This however way you want to play it, injuries included which is unfortunate, I doubt I have seen less passion in a team and management as the current side.

Where is the fight, we don't have a bad squad of players, we were excited about some of the signings and had belief.

I just am bemused at some of the formations and have no idea what team CP will put out next or what his ideal is of his formation. We have had an unreal injury situation this year, but surely you get players you have/reserves to fit your overal game plan, rather than change it every week.

If you want passion you have to breed it to the players, drive it into them, not sulk on the side lines blaming everything in the world but yourself and bad luck.

When the chips are down....****ing fight!

It showed today, the Wombles wanted it more, Downes wanted it more.
We have too many mercenaries who will be happy to jump ship and get a fresh contract next season if we go down.
Bishop looked devastated at the final whistle, the kids are the future.
Too many heart and soul players such as Tims, Deegs have been let go and their "fire" has never been replaced in the heart of what might be, on paper, a more skilled but also insipid midfield.

Who could honestly look at that today and say they wouldn't exchange that spineless shower with the likes of Mohsni, Deegan, Timlin, Corr etc...
I've never seen a Southend team demonstrate such a perplexing lack of urgency when the chips are down - I'm not even asking for skill, positional awareness or finesse...merely to work harder than the opposition, which we don't do most weeks.

I loved Powell as a player (caught the end of his career at RH), but he is a useless manager.
None of us know what he is like in the dressing room or training ground, but it is a fair assumption to suggest that someone who doesn't move from the dugout wall for 90 minutes each week regardless of level of performance or score, isn't going to be inspiring anybody.

We have too many mercenaries who will be happy to jump ship and get a fresh contract next season if we go down.
Too many heart and soul players such as Tims, Deegs have been let go and their "fire" has never been replaced in the heart of what might be, on paper, a more skilled but also insipid midfield.

Yep and to think of the slating those of us who warned of Timlin’s departure took. TBF to Powell not sure how much of that was his decision. I thought he rated him, I certainly did but the rumour was he was told to bring down the age of the squad.
Got rid of the wrong bloke there.

I have been a fan for a few years now and seen some dross teams and some great related to OUR club. This however way you want to play it, injuries included which is unfortunate, I doubt I have seen less passion in a team and management as the current side.

Where is the fight, we don't have a bad squad of players, we were excited about some of the signings and had belief.

I just am bemused at some of the formations and have no idea what team CP will put out next or what his ideal is of his formation. We have had an unreal injury situation this year, but surely you get players you have/reserves to fit your overal game plan, rather than change it every week.

If you want passion you have to breed it to the players, drive it into them, not sulk on the side lines blaming everything in the world but yourself and bad luck.

When the chips are down....****ing fight!

That's coz you boycotted most of the last manager's time.....

I have no idea what that actually means. Do you?

Let me help then Old Timer....

That's coz (and old fella like you needs to read that as "That is because")

you boycotted (you didn't attend)

most of (a significant portion, but not all)

the last manager's time (the period of time when Phil Brown was in charge)

My comment was in relation to your revelation that "I have been a fan for a few years now and seen some dross teams and some great related to OUR club. This however way you want to play it, injuries included which is unfortunate, I doubt I have seen less passion in a team and management as the current side."

I was merely stating that if you'd sat through the end of Phil Brown's reign, you would have seen something with arguably less passion.

Do you require me to clarify anything else?

I still have no idea why you insist on taking the **** out of my original post..It is how it is now, not then , but I will leave you in your bubble of self rightousness.

Let me help then Old Timer....

That's coz (and old fella like you needs to read that as "That is because")

you boycotted (you didn't attend)

most of (a significant portion, but not all)

the last manager's time (the period of time when Phil Brown was in charge)

My comment was in relation to your revelation that "I have been a fan for a few years now and seen some dross teams and some great related to OUR club. This however way you want to play it, injuries included which is unfortunate, I doubt I have seen less passion in a team and management as the current side."

I was merely stating that if you'd sat through the end of Phil Brown's reign, you would have seen something with arguably less passion.

Do you require me to clarify anything else?

What a condescending post. Don’t know what your beef is with Cricko and don’t want to know, but leave such a childish post in the playground where it belongs. I attended Browns last matches and he did at least look frustrated and annoyed when we lost. I’m afraid as nice a fella as Chris Powell is he lacks man management skills and offers nothing from the touch line at all.

What a condescending post. Don’t know what your beef is with Cricko and don’t want to know, but leave such a childish post in the playground where it belongs. I attended Browns last matches and he did at least look frustrated and annoyed when we lost. I’m afraid as nice a fella as Chris Powell is he lacks man management skills and offers nothing from the touch line at all.

I don't have a beef with Cricko. I've known him for years. I just like jabbing him with a stick occasionally, as he does to me from time to time. Absolutely nothing to see here, bar two old farts annoying each other.

Deegan was one of the worst players I have seen at Roots Hall in 30 years...are you serious!

I'd have to disagree about less passion under PB.

I never witnessed a performance at RH under PB as inept as today.

Deegan was one of the worst players I have seen at Roots Hall in 30 years...are you serious!
Rubbish or not Deegan certainly wasn't someone that would sink into their shell just because we conceded, if anything that would just make him angry.

I'd have to disagree about less passion under PB.

I never witnessed a performance at RH under PB as inept as today.

I give you Bristol Rovers away. Singularly the worst performance I can ever remember from a Southend team. I've seen bad teams, but until then I'd never seen one that didn't care. They seemed more intent on going on the lash in Cardiff afterwards.

I give you Fleetwood at home. Brown's last game. Utterly devoid of anything. Popped up on a FB memory last month... reminded me just how desperate we were in early 2018.

Though Tuesday and today run them close.....

I agree about Deegan. Exactly the type of player we are crying out for.

I imagine some of the players are as flabbergasted at some of the selections and tactics as we are and think why bother. Add to that a lot of them are way past their best or have shown little loyalty in their careers. You only have to hear Powell in his interviews to see he is not the most inspirational of characters.

I give you Bristol Rovers away. Singularly the worst performance I can ever remember from a Southend team. I've seen bad teams, but until then I'd never seen one that didn't care. They seemed more intent on going on the lash in Cardiff afterwards.

Yes, but my post said "at RH"

So, in 5 years as a manager, we have PB's very last game, when he and the players pretty much knew he was going.

Last edited:
Have you read my post?
This thread is about passion?
Deagan was not silly skills etc, and I make to claim of that, but he did show commitment and graft. Seriously, read the thread and posts.

I don’t think many of you know what you want apart from Southend to not be ****e.

I remember Gower getting slagged off and Maher. So I just think - **** me - some of the fellas we’ve got out there have got no ‘ope.

Back