• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Passion

One of the biggest mistakes was not trying harder to keep Timlin. You can free up the budget and bring in another midfielder, but some things are beyond technical ability. Timlin had heart, was always committed and lead by example.

Spot on and brought the best out of Dru who isn't the same player since, bar the odd moment like Gillingham away.

Spot on and brought the best out of Dru who isn't the same player since, bar the odd moment like Gillingham away.

Dru cocked up last summer, he was stupid but he's young and I guess he's learnt the value of looking after himself. He's also suffered from being the boss's favourite and having too much expectation on his shoulders.

I've never known such a controlled bunch of players as we have at the moment, there's very little visible passion on show.

He really did. He was an absolute constant for Dru. Besides that, you look at those 18 games that we had towards the end of that season. You have something that works, why change it?

I agree and wrongly, of course.

In his post-match dirge he said he always saw the game as a 0-0 or 1 goal caused by a mistake.

Maybe if he'd seen the game as one we could win 4-0, we might have something!

And this is what worries me about his mindset; what's going to change this in the last 8 games!

I accept Dru didn't summer well, but he's still the same player.

I don't think it works playing him with Mantom and Dieng.

Dru is an attack minded player. He went on one run at the end yesterday that opened them up down the middle The first time someone did that in 87 minutes yesterday.

I accept Dru didn't summer well, but he's still the same player.

I don't think it works playing him with Mantom and Dieng.

Dru is an attack minded player. He went on one run at the end yesterday that opened them up down the middle The first time someone did that in 87 minutes yesterday.
The best pairing with Dru that I have seen is Hyem. Hyem does the deep donkey work and Dru takes the ball forward.

That's definitely the key.

Dru has to be driving forward in midfield and needs the insurance of a ball winner with him, not Dieng and Mantom tentatively trying on their new shoes at FHW

I didn't really rate Brown but he had passion.

Three things went through my mind on Saturday watching that dross.

1/ Powell looked like he didn't want to be there.
2/ I wouldn't take any of their players over ours despite them showing more passion, we were outfought by inferior players who just wanted it more.
3/ I also thought about how we miss Deegan and his never give up attitude. He would have eaten their midfield and spat them out, it's ok losing to a team like Luton who were superior but Wimbledon didn't have a single player that stood out for me technically.

I remember watching the Brentford cup game earlier this season, wasn't at all disappointed about losing as it was a pleasure to watch some of the Brentford play, it was also a pleasure to watch how we tried to compete and fought hard, scoring two goals against them was an achievement. Saturday by contrast was an absolute disgrace.

People go on about passion but it isn't passion we are missing but confidence. When we next win it's likely to be by 3+ goals. The margins between a 1-0 defeat/a 1-1 draw and 3-0 win are thinner than many realise.

Try telling this guy he lacks passion
9571640.jpg

I'd also argue about the Fleetwood match, but I think they were extenuating circumstances on a dreadful pitch.

So the pitch was extenuating circumstances but the wind wasn't?

I reckon that was the worst wind conditions I've seen at Roots Hall. I've seen a couple of matches in stronger wind but you can start adjusting for that if it's consistent. You couldn't on Saturday. One goal kick would go straight, the next would be blown 25 yards out of play. Both teams struggled with it.

I know lots will respond that we shouldn't be hitting it in the air but (1) their goal came from the opponents playing it in the air and (2) our League One title winning side would have really struggled in those conditions as it prevented the cross-field pass that was a staple of that side. If conditions take away the ball over the top and the ball to the other wing, it limits your options and makes you easier to defend.

Let’s mot forget that if hooper wasn’t going njired we wouldn’t have Humphrey’s- or am I mistaken?

Pretty sure you're mistaken. We were in on Humphrys in the summer as well. We tried to sign that striker on loan from Stoke in the summer after we signed Hopper. We signed McGoalshy after we signed Hopper. We let McGoalshy go in the transfer window and Humphrys was a replacement for him. We also tried to sign a forward to replace Robinson.

Brown's last few games seemed to show unrest and players downing tools...However previous to that you knew exactly how Brown set out his teams a solid defence, we competed in midfield and never looked a totally inferior to the top teams.His flaws like trying to protect leads instead of killing sides off now look minor compared to Powell's inconsistent formations and game plans

There seems to be a huge split between those fans who bemoan Powell's inconsistent formations and those who bemoan Powell's lack of a Plan B.

They can't both be right.

The most frustrating thing for me on Saturday was seeing Powell standing there leaning against the dugout wall with his hands in his pockets!!!! What message does send out to the players and especially the fans. Show some fight man, do something!!!! Drove me crazy.

Back