• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Passion

So, PB's very last game when he and the players pretty much knew he was going and one away game in 5 years as a manager.

To be fair, you said you couldn't remember one. I offered you two. I could have thrown in five of the six games between the two (I excuse the 3-1 win over Charlton)

I found the end of PB's reign utterly soul destroying, especially after the hype we had at the start of the campaign. The football was turgid at best. Someone described it as being like the end of an abusive relationship. I wouldn't have used that terminology, but I understood where he was coming from.

I think the difference is, Phil Brown had, on paper a good team. Far better than it ever played. Powell, doesn't. Maybe my expectations are lower...…

I don’t think many of you know what you want apart from Southend to not be ****e.

I remember Gower getting slagged off and Maher. So I just think - **** me - some of the fellas we’ve got out there have got no ‘ope.

I'd really like to see them win a game. Or at least look like they might win a game. Right now, they don't look like they could win a (think of suitable metaphor).

Have you read my post?
This thread is about passion?
Deagan was not silly skills etc, and I make to claim of that, but he did show commitment and graft. Seriously, read the thread and posts.
Passion is absolutely pointless if you don’t have the skill and Deegan was massively out of his depth as a professional footballer. I was just pointing out he was a very bad example for your post. Tim’s on the other hand 100% agree with...we should have kept him, but not just for his passion...the fact he was and probably still is a better player than any of our current defensive midfielders!!

To be fair, you said you couldn't remember one. I offered you two. I could have thrown in five of the six games between the two (I excuse the 3-1 win over Charlton)

I found the end of PB's reign utterly soul destroying, especially after the hype we had at the start of the campaign. The football was turgid at best. Someone described it as being like the end of an abusive relationship. I wouldn't have used that terminology, but I understood where he was coming from.

I think the difference is, Phil Brown had, on paper a good team. Far better than it ever played. Powell, doesn't. Maybe my expectations are lower...…

No, I said at RH, so the Bristol Rovers game doesn't count.

I'd also argue about the Fleetwood match, but I think they were extenuating circumstances on a dreadful pitch.

Powell's had the same resources as PB had, so saying PB had a better team suggests he used the resources better.

WOW

It's actually quite refreshing to log on to SZ and see some energy and commitment put into a fight after what we witnessed at RH. Maybe we should have conversation tables on here and see who gets relegated.

:OMG::Snore:

Powell's had the same resources as PB had, so saying PB had a better team suggests he used the resources better.

You reckon??? I know we will never know the figures, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. I believe Powell is hampered by the wage bill Brown had and the long contracts that went with them (I think we're still paying Anton!)

I have been a fan for a few years now and seen some dross teams and some great related to OUR club. This however way you want to play it, injuries included which is unfortunate, I doubt I have seen less passion in a team and management as the current side.

Where is the fight, we don't have a bad squad of players, we were excited about some of the signings and had belief.

I just am bemused at some of the formations and have no idea what team CP will put out next or what his ideal is of his formation. We have had an unreal injury situation this year, but surely you get players you have/reserves to fit your overal game plan, rather than change it every week.

If you want passion you have to breed it to the players, drive it into them, not sulk on the side lines blaming everything in the world but yourself and bad luck.

When the chips are down....****ing fight!

THIS.

This is exactly why I’ve been sick of everything being blamed on the injuries. They have been unfortunate, but they are in no way whatsoever linked to a bunch of players strolling around at 75% and the bench looking similarly unfussed and not changing the mentality. There is no excuse for a lack of desire from professional footballers and there never will be.

You reckon??? I know we will never know the figures, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. I believe Powell is hampered by the wage bill Brown had and the long contracts that went with them (I think we're still paying Anton!)

Yep, I do reckon.

Some say Brown had a better team , at beginning of this season some were saying what a decent team we have with some excellent signings,Midfield players CP signed are Dross,the worst bit of luck is the wrong people got injured,Hopper and Humphreys they are the two we really miss,some would add Coker but i think he has been covered for well with both Hart and Hendrie,Stop blaming injuries, its been bad management.

Are well, there you go people. We know now. It's all Phil Brown's fault Powell is taking us down.
IMO Powell's not fit to clean Browns boots.

Some say Brown had a better team , at beginning of this season some were saying what a decent team we have with some excellent signings,Midfield players CP signed are Dross,the worst bit of luck is the wrong people got injured,Hopper and Humphreys they are the two we really miss,some would add Coker but i think he has been covered for well with both Hart and Hendrie,Stop blaming injuries, its been bad management.
Let’s mot forget that if hooper wasn’t going njired we wouldn’t have Humphrey’s- or am I mistaken?

I don’t think many of you know what you want apart from Southend to not be ****e.

I remember Gower getting slagged off and Maher. So I just think - **** me - some of the fellas we’ve got out there have got no ‘ope.

OBD, I appreciated your rallying cry in the week, I hoped the team would respond. I actually think the work rate couldn't be faulted today. (unlike Tuesday).

Yet we still lost, Turner cost us the game, he was crap on Tuesday yet Powell plays him again. He made mistake after mistake today yet still Lennon was subbed?!

Not to mention Powell went safety first (5 at the back) in a must win game. He must go now for me or we're guaranteed League 2 football next season.

OBD, I appreciated your rallying cry in the week, I hoped the team would respond. I actually think the work rate couldn't be faulted today. (unlike Tuesday).

Yet we still lost, Turner cost us the game, he was crap on Tuesday yet Powell plays him again. He made mistake after mistake today yet still Lennon was subbed?!

Not to mention Powell went safety first (5 at the back) in a must win game. He must go now for me or we're guaranteed League 2 football next season.

Lennon got injured at half time + had to come off. Unfortunate as he looks solid. I would never have Turner central of the 3.

I think 352 is really attacking if you do it right.

Let’s hope we just about have enough. ??

Brown's last few games seemed to show unrest and players downing tools...However previous to that you knew exactly how Brown set out his teams a solid defence, we competed in midfield and never looked a totally inferior to the top teams.His flaws like trying to protect leads instead of killing sides off now look minor compared to Powell's inconsistent formations and game plans

Lennon got injured at half time + had to come off. Unfortunate as he looks solid. I would never have Turner central of the 3.

I think 352 is really attacking if you do it right.

Let’s hope we just about have enough. ??

Fair play, I didn't realise Lennon was injured. Makes me wonder why we took so long to take him off?

3-5-2 can be attacking I agree, but we played 3-6-1 with the one being a small guy, with Macca and Bunn playing off him.

This never works. Particularly at home. Yet it's tried time and time again.

To utilise wing-backs you generally want them getting crosses in from wide positions, so you need a big fella up top or midfielders charging into the box. Generally we have neither, so it gets cleared and recycled, played out wide again, crossed and cleared and recycled. Ad infinitum.

Our best performance in the last couple of weeks was at Blackpool, where he started with two up top.

It almost seemed yesterday that he had two many centre-halves so he picked the side based on trying to fit them in.

3-5-2 can be attacking I agree, but we played 3-6-1 with the one being a small guy, with Macca and Bunn playing off him.

This never works. Particularly at home. Yet it's tried time and time again.

To utilise wing-backs you generally want them getting crosses in from wide positions, so you need a big fella up top or midfielders charging into the box. Generally we have neither, so it gets cleared and recycled, played out wide again, crossed and cleared and recycled. Ad infinitum.

Our best performance in the last couple of weeks was at Blackpool, where he started with two up top.

It almost seemed yesterday that he had two many centre-halves so he picked the side based on trying to fit them in.

I think he picked a team to try and keep a clean sheet. It's therefore super galling that two of our senior players contrived between them to gift the Wombles their winner.

I agree and wrongly, of course.

In his post-match dirge he said he always saw the game as a 0-0 or 1 goal caused by a mistake.

Maybe if he'd seen the game as one we could win 4-0, we might have something!

Back