• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tangled up in Blue

Certified Senior Citizen⭐
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17545795
Personally, I couldn't give a hoot whether Cameron ate his last pasty at Leeds or Liverpool station or why Boy George can't remember the last time he ate a pasty.
As for myself,I'm a big fan.What I want to know is if that chippy near the ground is still not serving pasties?(They haven't done so on the last 2/3 times I've been to Roots Hall).Is this because of VAT or what?The sausage rolls they do at the ground,while good really enough,really don't compare to a proper pasty(whether it's Cornish or not).:winking:

I can confirm the Fish Place will serve anyone pasties included provided you have the wherewithal.

Great news CS.Outstanding:thumbsup:
Certainly when I popped in there before the Daggers and Plymouth games this season and also before the last home game last season they weren't doing any.
Looks like I'll have something to go with my pre-match pint(s) for the Maccs game.Thanks for your concern but I should to be able to come up with the "wherewithal." :winking:

I imagine that the serving or not of pasties will have little to do with VAT, since fish houses have to charge VAT on all there other hot food, its probably not the primary consideration!

Its interesting that its the pasty which has been picked up on.

The tax is an extension on the VAT on takeaway food IIRC , I would guess that food being sold warm is being considered as being sold for immediate consumption and as such is a takeaway (why else would you buy it warm) and therefore should attract VAT

How fresh baked bread (still warm and therefore above ambient Temperature) will be considered is interesting, does the baker now leave it "out the back" for 20 minutes or put it on the shelf and charge VAT until it has cooled down ?

Hot Chickens sold in Tesco's etc also now attract VAT, despite being ambient temperature by the time you get to the checkout in some cases.....

Its interesting that its the pasty which has been picked up on.

The tax is an extension on the VAT on takeaway food IIRC , I would guess that food being sold warm is being considered as being sold for immediate consumption and as such is a takeaway (why else would you buy it warm) and therefore should attract VAT

How fresh baked bread (still warm and therefore above ambient Temperature) will be considered is interesting, does the baker now leave it "out the back" for 20 minutes or put it on the shelf and charge VAT until it has cooled down ?

Hot Chickens sold in Tesco's etc also now attract VAT, despite being ambient temperature by the time you get to the checkout in some cases.....

I suppose by advertising them as 'HOT AND READY TO EAT' is assuming takeaway standard?

I think the HMRC webpage on what is standard and what is zero rated, if looked through, can lead to a lot more debates than just Pasties...

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channels...ntent&id=HMCE_CL_000118&propertyType=document

I think one of my favourite oddities is that for cake decorarting, Chocolate chips are zero rated, but chocolate buttons are standard rated!

Back