• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

PAT testing

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
Hi all, anyone here know about it? Cost etc? I have some music gear that may need doing. Thanks.

Yeah, basic electric testing to make sure it's fit for purpose. No idea about cost, but you simply plug the kit into the tester, press a button, bingo. If it passes you stick a little label on the kit to say it's compliant. Think it lasts 5 years.

I wish I had used a reputable Pat tester.

I thought I was buying an authentic Pat Sharp but it turned out to be a Martin Day.

Last edited:
By law you don't need to do it, or you can do it yourself by doing a visual inspection. Check out the HSE website on it. Companies charge a fortune for doing it when its not a legal requirement

A couple of things.

Is the equipment for your sole use or are others likely to use it? This would make a difference as to whether it's worth your while shelling out about £200.00 for a PAT testing kit.

Hypothetically, if the equipment is being used by someone other than yourself or it's being used in a public place then it may make more sense to buy a kit, label each piece of equipment and keep a record of all tests and dates. The reason being that God forbid something happens to that equipment and causes an injury when it's being used by someone else and in any subsequent investigation it's deemed that you didn't take all reasonably practicable steps to ensure their safety you could be found liable. Regular PAT testing of the equipment will be all that's required to cover your backside in the event of an HSE investigation.

Some venues insist on amp's being tested for example, Seems it costs around £1.50 per item and lasts 5 years.

Potts - it's not just a visual inspection.

If it's for venues Rob then get yourself a tester and tag and register ALL your appliances. That all depends on how many pieces of equipment you have of course and how frequently you want to test them.

Scenario for you. Amp goes pop, catches fire, causes £££££££ of damage and it's your equipment that's found to be the root cause. If you've not done due diligence as to it's safety and worthiness then your liable my friend.

Will probably never happen but is it really worth that risk?

Not entirely sure if you can do it yourself without the appropriate training.

You can but again it depends on how much you want to cover your own backside in the event of an accident.

Up until 6 years ago we used to do all our own. Then we grew so we sent a maintenance engineer on a 1 day course. Now further expansion has meant we pay annually a small fortune for an outside contractor to do it.

HSE just stipulates it 'should' be carried out by a competent person. Usually someone that's trained or has knowledge of the process. That could, and I say could, mean reading the instruction manual that comes with the tester. Obviously if you've got many appliances or pieces of equipment to test it makes more sense to have them done externally.

Modern PAT testers are a bit like defibrillators, virtually fool proof and won't let you make a mistake.

Our very own SUFC may be in trouble over PAT testing. I was told this story only a few days ago v Gillingham by a well known member of staff.

For those of you who go in the East greens or blacks you will have seen the wonderful 10 inch portable TV that hangs near the tea bar, so that you don't miss a moments action as you queue for refreshments.

Be warned you well meaning amateurs. Apparently the man who come to do the PAT test was injured by the TV, whilst he was actually testing it........It fell off the wall bracket and hit him on the head.

Our very own SUFC may be in trouble over PAT testing. I was told this story only a few days ago v Gillingham by a well known member of staff.

For those of you who go in the East greens or blacks you will have seen the wonderful 10 inch portable TV that hangs near the tea bar, so that you don't miss a moments action as you queue for refreshments.

Be warned you well meaning amateurs. Apparently the man who come to do the PAT test was injured by the TV, whilst he was actually testing it........It fell off the wall bracket and hit him on the head.

That's made my day. ?

Situation resolved. Daughter's boyfriend is a qualified PST man.

Potts - it might not be a legal requirement but if a venue insists on up-to-date PAT tickets, arguing with them won't change anything. Oh and a visual inspection of what? Internal short circuits? Reverse polarity?

Its just a visual inspection of the power cables to see if there are no breaks or live wires exposed. You can probably buy some stickers on ebay to stick on the plugs. You can also do a course on it. It only takes a day and then you too can pat test! To be fair it not a bad little business to be involved in. Limited equipment outlay and as some people have quoted 1.50 a plug.....kerching!! Tou are right though some places have been taken in by it and will insist on it etc so there's not much you can do if that's the situation.

Its just a visual inspection of the power cables to see if there are no breaks or live wires exposed.

No it isn't. It involves a visual check of course but it is also an integrity check and involves using a testing machine that checks earth bonding etc and is NOT a legal requirement in the work place.
You do not need it for personal items at home but as said in previous comments, items like amps, guitars etc should be done when used in venues, because you are AT WORK.

Situation resolved. Daughter's boyfriend is a qualified PST man.

Potts - it might not be a legal requirement but if a venue insists on up-to-date PAT tickets, arguing with them won't change anything. Oh and a visual inspection of what? Internal short circuits? Reverse polarity?

Correct. The electrical regs say if an item can cause harm it should be maintained to ensure safety. PAT is not legal requirement but try proving in court that you maintained it correctly.
As you say about the venues, this is the same on building sites etc with power tools, if the site rules say everything needs testing, then you either test it or don't work there and in your case RobM, test the amps etc or they get some other band etc in.

Glad you got it resolved BTW. I could have done this for you as well

:Thumbs up::Thumbs up::Smile:

Hypo - I have been let down and now need some gear tested, Can you help?

Hi mate

Defo not this week mate. Having a mare at work TBH.

Drop me a message ... what, where and how desperate and if I can't sort it in time I will have a word with a few mates

:Thumbs up:

Back