• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Heard today of the passing of Paul Alcock, the ref most known for the Paulo Di Canio pushing incident but also known to blues fans as the ref who sent off Macclesfield keeper Tony Bullock which sparked an almost "Full Monty" performance from him before he then hammered a ball into the East Blacks, injuring a fan in the process.

I don't think he played again actually.

Anyhow, the ref has sadly passed. He was one of those characters, instantly recognisable. I can still see him brandishing a yellow card for time wasting, and then when Bullock sarcastically applauded, almost goose stepping down the pitch towards before getting the second yellow, then the red out of his pocket.

He was at RH not that long ago. Can't remember if he was assessing or something

Heard today of the passing of Paul Alcock, the ref most known for the Paulo Di Canio pushing incident but also known to blues fans as the ref who sent off Macclesfield keeper Tony Bullock which sparked an almost "Full Monty" performance from him before he then hammered a ball into the East Blacks, injuring a fan in the process.

Anyhow, the ref has sadly passed. He was one of those characters, instantly recognisable. I can still see him brandishing a yellow card for time wasting, and then when Bullock sarcastically applauded, almost goose stepping down the pitch towards before getting the second yellow, then the red out of his pocket.

The "Bullock" moment was one of those "Did that really happen?" events. The fan that got struck by the ball was a lad about 10 as I recall. I think also that Bullock got fined £800. He played after that for eight Scottish clubs and Gillingham amongst others until 2015.

Not sure if the fan ever played. But Bullock went on to play many many more games

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Bullock

My mate brought his wife to the game for her first visit to the Hall. She was completely bored until the Bullock incident, when she asked "Does this happen every week?". We all said no and she hasn't been back since.

He was at RH not that long ago. Can't remember if he was assessing or something

I think he was assessing.

Remember Crowny pointing him out and I was shocked to see how old he looked. He didn't look well, then.

My mate brought his wife to the game for her first visit to the Hall. She was completely bored until the Bullock incident, when she asked "Does this happen every week?". We all said no and she hasn't been back since.

....Superb! :smile:

The "Bullock" moment was one of those "Did that really happen?" events. The fan that got struck by the ball was a lad about 10 as I recall. I think also that Bullock got fined £800. He played after that for eight Scottish clubs and Gillingham amongst others until 2015.

I was sat right next to the lad and was astonished. I also remember Kieron Durkan (their full-back) getting ritualistically ripped into throughout the 90 by the East yellows and making some "interesting" hand jestures to us as he trudged off the field :smile:

I think he was assessing.

Remember Crowny pointing him out and I was shocked to see how old he looked. He didn't look well, then.

If it was in the last two years you would not have recognised him.

Sad indeed. Passed away at the age of 64 just over two years after being diagnosed with cancer.

He retired from refereeing at the then mandatory retirement age of 47. After retirement he continued to be involved in football in general and refereeing in particular. Even in the later years he stayed as involved as his health would allow.

His last match at the Hall was in 2001 when he was good enough to award us a penalty for Bramble to equalise against Bristol Rovers, Nathan Ellington getting their goal. Bramble went on to score the winner. Only yellow card of the game was Ian Selley. Under two and a half thousand watching.

It is perhaps unfortunate that after 14 years of solid-ish refereeing he is best remembered for the comical way he fell over after the Paulo di Canio incident.

It is perhaps unfortunate that after 14 years of solid-ish refereeing he is best remembered for the comical way he fell over after the Paulo di Canio incident.

Did he referee or run the line at any big matches, such as cup finals or (youth) internationals?

Very sad news; third week in a row a noted figure from the game has passed away.

Back