• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Benson gets wish... but not how he wanted

Evening Echo

The News
PAUL Benson achieved a life long dream by scoring at Roots Hall on Tuesday night. But the experienced forward wished it had been for Southend United and not Cheltenham Town.

More...

How we didn't sign him after his White Ensign trial I'll never know - I believe he scored during his trial??

Now 253 appearances and 99 goals later it seems we made the wrong decision imho.

If Paul Benson really wants to play in a Southend shirt ,why didnt he take less money , im sure he would have been compensated in one way or another.I know if it was me just putting on the shirt and running out in front of the supporters would have been compensation enough.And how proud do you think his dad would be to see him in a Southend shirt.Not that his father isnt already proud of him , im sure he is.Take a drop in wages Paul , join us next season.

If Paul Benson really wants to play in a Southend shirt ,why didnt he take less money , im sure he would have been compensated in one way or another.I know if it was me just putting on the shirt and running out in front of the supporters would have been compensation enough.And how proud do you think his dad would be to see him in a Southend shirt.Not that his father isnt already proud of him , im sure he is.Take a drop in wages Paul , join us next season.

Very much agree with this.

How we didn't sign him after his White Ensign trial I'll never know - I believe he scored during his trial??

Now 253 appearances and 99 goals later it seems we made the wrong decision imho.

It was 100% the correct decision. We had a side aiming for promotion to the championship which he has never been good enough for. Thats not suggesting his not a good striker at league 2 tho.

Chris Powell and Di Canio would agree with this on evidence of them letting him go.

A lot of people seem to forget we had an excellent league 1 side only a few years ago.

Hmmm, not sure that I can agree with you Westy, though my memory isn't great. Benson signed for D&R on 1st July, 2005. I can't remember who our forwards were at that time, but the internet suggests it was :

• Ademano
  • Bradbury
  • Eastwood
  • Goater
  • Lawson
  • Gray

...have I missed any? If not, would Benson have been any worse than Lawson, Ademano and Bradbury?

But it is widely known that our players are rarely paid on time. Unfortunately, sentiment doesn't pay the bills. Also, has joining us on less money ever really been an option for him? .. Sturrock and Benson have both indicated that there were
only tenuous links regarding him joining us.

Who in there right mind would earn less money than they are worth. Its a short career he came into the game late and your a long time retired in football. Good luck to him.

Who in there right mind would earn less money than they are worth. Its a short career he came into the game late and your a long time retired in football. Good luck to him.

Yep, agree with this (can't rep you though Dave). Sentiment is nice if you can afford it, which presumably is a factor in both Harris and Eastwood coming here, I doubt either of them really panic if wages are a bit late.

Maybe Paul Benson will use his millions to buy the club. He'd have the fans interests at heart that's for sure. He'd scrap the humilation that will be a three-sided Fossetts, tell Sainsbury's to do one and instead re-introduce smoking in the West Stand. Perhaps he will re-install Paul Clarke as manager with Danny O'Shea or Charlie Williamson as assistant. Roots Hall market will be bustling once again as people flock to see members of the 04/05 promotion winning team submerged in a giant tank (with breathing apparatus) enacting an under water reconstruction of the famous 1-1 draw at home with Lincoln from that season.

Oh, and the club shop will sell 'heritage' Tes Bramble and Kevin Maher mugs.

This! If he was that much of a fan, he wouldn't be such a money grabber.

Back