• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Brush Q+A

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ June 04 2004,10:58)]Indeed. No matter how low you think you can go Matt, just look down and I'll be there.....

... so to speak, that is.
I'm glad you added that... my mind was beginning to wander down some pretty tawdry culs-de-sac...

ghostface.gif

Excellent article Dave, keep up the good work.  When do we get the in depth "My Life on the Bench" or "How to Play Football in Diver's Boots" interview with the Sainted Graeme?  
biggrin.gif

I think the interesting point regarding the post Leon question, is that the management are right in that we didn't score enough as a team, which is why we may have let him go more easily than some would have liked.  Taking one example, Boston away, we (& particularly Dudfield) could have scored an absolute hatful if Constance had passed on the odd occasion & there were more games like that.  They are obviously trying to replace the 1 x 25 goal machine with a team effort as we had in the early 90's.  It worked then so no reason why not now.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hooly @ June 04 2004,13:39)]They are obviously trying to replace the 1 x 25 goal machine with a team effort as we had in the early 90's.  It worked then so no reason why not now.
The thing about the early 90s team, though, was that you not only had the whole team scoring goals, but you had a goal-machine (Sir Bretty) as well...

That said, whilst we'd all like to get an "early 90s" team thing going again, I suspect that that period was a one-off for us Shrimpers...

rock.gif
sad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 04 2004,13:45)]That said, whilst we'd all like to get an "early 90s" team thing going again, I suspect that that period was a one-off for us Shrimpers...

rock.gif

sad.gif
Dunno Matt

80-81 was pretty special (Excellent reminder on the web site)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ June 04 2004,13:45)]The thing about the early 90s team, though, was that you not only had the whole team scoring goals, but you had a goal-machine (Sir Bretty) as well...
Agreed about the Sir Brett thing but he'd done it with Stockport before us & was a proven scorer before he came.  Would Tilly think Leon capable of the same level of consistency?  I remember in the "Old Supporters Club" days (ie pre Vic banning them all) talking in TOTS to Brett just after he'd not gone to Blackburn.  He reasoned that as they had Sutton & Shearer he'd spend most of his time warming the bench & that didn't interest him.  He wanted to play every week.

But in a team playing the ball on the deck I could see Dudfield getting a pile of goals next year.  Gower, Bentley & Smith should be capable of getting a quite few from midfield.  So we need 10+ from the other striker & a centre half to dip in with a few.

Also interesting how much they rate Corbett, perhaps more than he does himself.  "Tearing sides apart" according to Brushy.  If Jimmy can pick up from that amount of faith then he & Gray could be the final pieces in the Jigsaw.  IMO Drewe & Tes will be lucky to get a game!! Especially seeing as we won't have much reserve action.

Spot on Hooly. Fitness permitting, in Corbett & Jay Smith we have two of the most naturally gifted footballers in the division, IMHO.

Hopefully, the defence & goalkeeping situations can be sorted out - both (especially the latter) are looking rather thin at the moment.

Once that's done, I am feeling very confident about next season. We stuck goals past all-comers in the second half of last season... we just conceded a few too many as well.

The only teams that worry me, for next year, are:

Yeovil
Northampton
Mansfield
Shrewsbury

Everyone else... we'll be fine. Mark my words.

biggrin.gif

Matt

Back