• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Brush

Rayleigh boy

Director⭐
seeing the improved "condition" of Mark Gower at Swansea (i.e. seriously fit) and given the lack of inspiration (more long balls from SUFC) and increasing number of on pitch fiascos (short corners, set pieces) do you think Brushy needs to brush up on his coaching methods .....

lets not brush it under the carpet - is our coaching up to scratch ?

Well he is obviously teaching Simon Francis, how to take corners. What a joke. My 18 month old daughter could do better and she's only just learnt to walk!!!

Yes, his record since joining us in 2003 is absolutely **** poor. We were on the verge of releagtion to non-league football on his first day and since then he has "helped us" to a paltry two promotions, one league 1 championship and two cup finals. Not to mention that "scraped" win against Manchester United and the derisory draw against Chelsea...

Yes, his record since joining us in 2003 is absolutely **** poor. We were on the verge of releagtion to non-league football on his first day and since then he has "helped us" to a paltry two promotions, one league 1 championship and two cup finals. Not to mention that "scraped" win against Manchester United and the derisory draw against Chelsea...

:D

I always rated Gower while he was here as well (now at last all the whingers realise just how important he was for us!) so although he is undoubtedly playing very well at Swansea, I don't think you can criticise our coaching staff for failing to get the best out of him here. There are certainly question marks about Francis and his poor form at the moment (although a few weeks ago he looked to have turned the corner) but I'd say that's just as much due to a lack of real competition for his place and I'm not sure any amount of coaching is going to change that.

Look forward not backwards, remeber you are only as good as your last result not what you have done a few years ago

Combining a few thought on this thread. Gower was an excellent player for us but I seem to recall a number of poor corners from him - I hate it when a player can't beat the first man with a corner and its quite common to see from us & opposing teams as well. I can't believe professional players really have to be coached to beat the first man, its similar to a foul throw to me - embarassing. Short corners can be a total waste, like last night people get caught offside! Brushy seemed quite annoyed at one of those as well - maybe players aren't following the coaching! Who's to say.

seeing the improved "condition" of Mark Gower at Swansea (i.e. seriously fit) and given the lack of inspiration (more long balls from SUFC) and increasing number of on pitch fiascos (short corners, set pieces) do you think Brushy needs to brush up on his coaching methods .....

lets not brush it under the carpet - is our coaching up to scratch ?

Bit of a sweeping statement there!

Combining a few thought on this thread. Gower was an excellent player for us but I seem to recall a number of poor corners from him - I hate it when a player can't beat the first man with a corner and its quite common to see from us & opposing teams as well. I can't believe professional players really have to be coached to beat the first man, its similar to a foul throw to me - embarassing. Short corners can be a total waste, like last night people get caught offside! Brushy seemed quite annoyed at one of those as well - maybe players aren't following the coaching! Who's to say.
We miss Maher's corners...took a great one for Oldham at the weekend creating a goal. Also took the free kick that led to another goal at the weekend!

We miss Maher's corners, we miss his ability to switch play & pick a pass. He didn't offer much of a goal threat at times but I'd happily have him in our side.

Maher was taking rubbish corners in his last couple of seasons, and free kicks. Responsibility got given to others IIRC.

Maher was taking rubbish corners in his last couple of seasons, and free kicks. Responsibility got given to others IIRC.

Agreed. Maher's were terrible, and to be fair Gower's often left quite a bit to be desired.

Whilst its true to say the slope at the edge of our pitch makes things tricky, it is also true to say that over the years players have managed to consistently take decent corners at Roots Hall.

Does anyone spend any real time actually practising at Roots Hall? That might be a good place to start...

not just corners though is it - its a load of things -

fitness - freekicks - tactis etctectetc

If the slope is to blame - put some extra sand/turf in the corners! Blimey it's not a difficult problem to solve, is it?

As Spaceman says, it'd be interesting to know if they do actually spend any time at RH practising - it's all very well being a demon corner taker on the training ground if it counts for nothing at the ground itself during games.

I can't believe professional players really have to be coached to beat the first man, its similar to a foul throw to me - embarassing.
Although I agree that it's extremely frustrating to watch, I've also seen it happening in Premiership and Champions League matches on a number of occasions this season. It's baffling but it happens at all levels unfortunately.

If the slope is to blame - put some extra sand/turf in the corners! Blimey it's not a difficult problem to solve, is it?

Corner takers from visiting teams have to take corners on the same slopes and get less experience of them than our corner takers... and that doesn't stop us conceding about 500 goals a season from corners!

I think we can rule the slope out as an excuse.

A home team gets around 10 corners a match. Wouldn't it make sense to do all we can to make them better? If a decent surround makes a difference, we should do it.

Mark Gower is badly missed in my opinion,although he could be frustrating at times was a class act,we miss his flair and crossing ability,also weighed in with a few useful goals.I think he was not appriciated by a lot of fans.

Back