• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Isn't he in charge of some non-league team? Which one of our players was he tapping up?

McCormack would have the Irish connection, although based on today's performance that might be too high a level.

Was in the Far Post bar pre match today, he was quite pleased to be recognised, he also eschewed alcoholic beverages.

Glad that he seems to be off the beer. He loved a drink!!!
It was a friend of mine who layed him out after seeing P.B. punch his girlfriend outside churchills. His lowest moment at Southend. A player that had talent but no brain at the time. He always told everyone about his goal for Celtic against Rangers.

Only a few days have passed since Hemel Hempstead Town crashed out of the British Gas Business Southern League Premier Division play-off semi final on penalties, and already manager Paul Byrne is looking to next season.

But the Irishman, who took over at Vauxhall Road barely three months ago, could have his big plans hindered by the club's plans to build two new state-of-the-art football pitches on the site of their current car park.

His reign has seen the Tudors soar from a mediocre thirteenth place to a fantastic fifth-placed finish, and he was just a missed penalty away from taking them to last Saturday's play-off final.

He is pleased with how far Hemel have come, but knows there is a big improvement needed if they are to challenge for automatic promotion next season.

"They did really well when I first came," he said, "but after that we got a few injuries and had a dip in form. Once we got our injured players back we showed what we can do."

He added: "You're never happy when you don't get promoted, but I have seen a lot of good things.

"What I have to do is take us in the right direction. We need strength in the squad and need to be bringing a lot more youth team players in.

"The young lads that came in when we had our injuries didn't let us down in any shape or form."

Byrne (pictured) already knows where on the park the changes need to take place.

But whether his hands are tied or are given free reign will be decided behind closed doors – by the club's chairman and board.

The former Glasgow Celtic man is due to sit down with them on Tuesday, and afterwards should be a little clearer on where he stands.

"I already have the players and the positions in my head in which we need to strengthen," added Byrne.

"The big issue is the budget - I have to know what sort of money I'm going to have before I go and do anything regarding new players and staff."

What could hold back Byrne's plans for domination of the Southern Premier next year is the potential building of two new 3G, 30m x 20m pitches, which would be used for team training and for hire to the public.

Though the plans are yet to be approved, chairman Dave Boggins is adamant the new pitches are needed to push the club forward.

"The club is ambitious," he said. "We want to take it forward off as well as on the pitch."

He added: "We will wait for the costings to come in, then we will apply for a grant and see what kind of assistance we can get.

"That will affect the amount of money the club has, and that will affect what Paul will have."

PAUL Byrne insists he will never forget his spell at Southend United, mainly due to his former manager Ronnie Whelan.

More...

I wonder if he remembers his times down southend Churchill’s also, lost count the amount of times we picked him up from the floor and put him in a taxi:Scared:

I can also remember my mate having to drive his car back from playing charlton away when they ground shared with Crystal Palace I think it was, remember leaving him in the players lounge after the game, were funny times :ROFL:

Back