• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I like Clark's radio manner, as he is as partisan as us at times. I also like Nick Aliker as the lead commentator. The pair of them work very well together.

Paul Clarke probs run out of negative things to say after we string a few wins together. Personally find him monotonous and negative.

Nonsense, in my opinion. If you only want to hear glowing praise even when it's not due or fawning over our manager then you're right, Clark is not the man for you.

If you want balanced, perceptive, honest and forthright views he is about as good as they come.

Oh my goodness, Neil Kelly, who is the guy who does Colchester's games is awful! He asks the same question in three or four different ways each game and is so far up whoever the manager is's rear end it's untrue! Nick Alliker is so much better than him!

Not sure that Neil Kelly is much of a benchmark. Bit like saying chicken pox is better than mumps! Unfair to compare to national broadcasters I know but have listened to local football commentary from most regions of the country and BBC Essex commentators are the worst I've listened to.

Anyone who knew Clark as a player knows how committed he was as a player and manager at Southend .Really comes across on the radio ,by far the best commentator on BBC Essex

It seems he has been dropped, have no idea why, but now Glenn Pennyfather appears to have replaced him?! I thought Nick Allicker and Paul Clark were by far the best combination. Glad to see the back of Babbage though, I thought he was terrible!

It seems he has been dropped, have no idea why, but now Glenn Pennyfather appears to have replaced him?! I thought Nick Allicker and Paul Clark were by far the best combination. Glad to see the back of Babbage though, I thought he was terrible!

Perhaps Glenn needs the work more. He lost his main job when Crowstone Prep. closed.

Nice bloke (I met him a few years back when he was picking up his match ticket at the same time as me).Would have to agree about his commentary skills though-especially compared to Paul Clark's.

Personally I think all the lead and co commentators are pretty good. Apart from that one tone guy, is it Babbage?

Yep, Mark Babbidge. He really is dreadful.

Glen Speller and Nick Alliker I like, tbh.

Stuart Smith, the other night, wasn't too bad, either.

Agree with the majority on here that Paul is the best by miles - he speaks so much sense, and I certainly feel should have a role to play at Southend again in the future.

Being with him in Box 20 on Moody Blues Day was a great experience - it was as though we had BBC Essex on. A very decent chap.

BBC = Bring Back Clarkie

Have just been given some information that he's stopped doing this for "personal reasons" at the moment. Hopefully he will be back in the future.

Yep, sounds like it's on Clarky's terms, so he's not been shoved out.

Clarky is the man, great defender and full of insight.
Is it a coincidence that we've shipped so many goals under Pennyfather?

And gotta keep Neil Kelly!
His interviews with Col Ewe managers after a run of defeats are classics, you can hear his voice breaking......
Samaritans put on extra staff.

Paul Clarke says it as he sees it A good honest commentary on what he can see going on in the game .Being an x southend player and manager he doesn't pull his punches .If a player gives his all ie Ryan Lennard he give a good report on that player But if a player is paints he give it all guns blazeing . He reads the game well And I really miss his dry wit on match day . Hope he returns soon .

Clarkey was a fantastic player , a decent manager , a lovely bloke and a really interesting honest co-commentator.

Football is all about opinions and most of the stuff i hear i disagree with. For example the absolute tosh Phil Brown was spouting about the ref doing us no favours for not sending Wordsworth off ( for kicking a player 3 times on the floor) is laughable.
Yet I can honestly say whatever Clarkey says is pretty much mirrors exactly what me + my Dad + mates have said during the match... he says it exactly like it is and the fact it comes from a Southend legend gives it extra credibility.

Hope to hear him again very soon

I'm certain that the way forward for league football is for ifollow to extend coverage to all away games for UK customers , this will cut down on policing costs, stewards , etc and a lot more people will subscribe giving our club extra funds. Maybe Clarkey will be part of this ....

Back