• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Furlong (report from Barnet )

Boreham Shrimper

President
As I'm at uni in Exeter at the moment and my housemate comes from Barnet, we decided to go to Exeter v Barnet this afternoon. Although I'd rather have been at Roots Hall to see us pick up a valuable 3 points, I was looking forward to the chance to see Paul Furlong in action (along with two ex-shrimpers, Tommy Black and Nicky Nicolau).

I like Furlong as a professional and he has clearly had a very successful career. However, despite his goal this afternoon, which was very well taken, I really don't think he has what it takes to play League 1 football anymore. It was good to see that he has got himself fit again but unfortunately, he just seems to be way off the pace. Until his goal towards the end of the first half, he'd probably made more fouls than he had touched the ball and while you could see that he commands great respect from his team mates because of his experience, he unfortunately does not seem to find himself in the right places anymore, at least not at League 1 level. If Furlong is our answer as some people were suggesting this week (more in desperation than actually believing it I think), then what is the question? I wouldn't be surprised to see him going to Barnet permanently though.

Tommy Black unfortunately does not even look comfortable at League 2 level and still seems to be carrying a few excess pounds. It's sad because he's clearly nice guy but I'm not sure he'll be playing League football for too much longer. :(

Nicolau did OK as far as I could see and to be honest I barely noticed him. He still looks orange though :D

Last edited:
Paul Furlong's loan at Barnet has been extended until the end of the season - SMS

Good move for all concerned I think :)

I think the main reason why Tilson got Furlong was because he has great experience that he can pass on our youngsters. This was one of the reasons for getting freedman which he has happened.

Paul Furlong's loan at Barnet has been extended until the end of the season - SMS

Good move for all concerned I think :)

agree
would be good to get a reasonable fee for him in the summer hopefully
shame its not us making signings

Has Furlong actually played in a competetive game for us this season?

Despite what the Official Site says in it's news story, Furlong made 2 starts for us and a further 2 sub appearances. Wasn't a fan at the start of the season no? :p

And that's the end of our sponsorship then? Do we get a refund or can we transfer it to Dervite perhaps?

Hes at Barnet on loan till the end of the season now..... whats the point of that? they might aswell have him on a free now.... hes contracts up at the end of the season, pretty useless signing for us.

Hes at Barnet on loan till the end of the season now..... whats the point of that? they might aswell have him on a free now.... hes contracts up at the end of the season, pretty useless signing for us.

Possibly they can't/won't match his wages so we are still paying a proportion of them?

Thought he might still feature in our plans, but if not good work getting him (or at least part of his wages) off the books.

We've avoided a Foran type situation of having a player who isn't in our plans hanging around like a bad smell.

With Ademeno at Salisbury until the end of the season that is three financial liabilities reduced. Swapping those three for Robinson and Dervitte is excellent business.

Back