• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Scholes

BoyWonder2

2024, the year of the Shrimpers šŸ¤ ā­
Is it me, or is Paul Scholes getting better and better with age?

Last night, and the community shield, we got to see the full array of Scholes passing range, weighed in with a few of his tackling exploits. Its such a shame he retired from International football when he did, as he is much, much better than both Lampard and Gerrard and we wouldn't be talking about why no England manager has been able to get both Lampard and Gerrard firing.

Also, a special mention to Giggs. He continued his record of scoring in every single Premiership season.

Will a Youth team be able to produce a selection of kids, like United did all those years ago, which go onto have such long and impressive careers. Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and the Neville brothers.

Its such a shame he retired from International football when he did, as he is much, much better than both Lampard and Gerrard and we wouldn't be talking about why no England manager has been able to get both Lampard and Gerrard firing.

Can't remember where I read it but I think he said he would have come out of retirement for the world cup if Capello had personally asked him instead of one of his assistants. And he may have considered it if he hadn't been asked the day before Capello had to announce his 23 man squad

No, it's not you.

agreed. He started out as a box-to-box midfielder, and then played in the hole as an attacking midfielder/2nd striker, and now has developed into a 'quarterback'. He can still get stuck in, but his ability to make deadly one-touch passes all over the park is absolutely phenomenal. There is absolutely no question that he's still up there as one of the best midfielders in this country... a shame that players have to choose between club and country to maintain their high standards.

agreed. He started out as a box-to-box midfielder, and then played in the hole as an attacking midfielder/2nd striker, and now has developed into a 'quarterback'. He can still get stuck in, but his ability to make deadly one-touch passes all over the park is absolutely phenomenal. There is absolutely no question that he's still up there as one of the best midfielders in this country... a shame that players have to choose between club and country to maintain their high standards.

I think it's more an indictment of Premiership Academies, to be honest... If you look at that youth team, you have an abundance of players who are extremely comfortable on the ball first and physically suited to the game second. Giggs has had his injuries (something he's learnt to adapt), Scholes has had his and is diminutive in comparison to other central midfielders and the Neville's were never blessed with pace. That said, they're all tremendous footballers.

Now, it's the physicals that matter most. If you can sprint 100m in 10-14 seconds, you play up front or on the wings. If you're 6'4 and built like the proverbial, you're centre half or defensive midfield. If you're 5'2, you're not in the squad. It's a point Ferguson has been quick to ponder over the years... Why he was able to teach a collection of players to play football at the highest level from a squad of about 20, yet the FA can't do the same with the hundreds they have through the gates of Lilleshall.

But, back on topic, Scholes was tremendous and he has been tremendous for well over a decade now. England's most criminally underused and underrated player for some time... People flocked towards Sneijder in this World Cup, not knowing that we have a player who bears striking similarities on our own shores.

Like Shearer, benefitted from leaving the England scene early. What a shame we didnt build the midfield around him rather than the overrated Lampard.

Lampard had taken Scholes' place in the middle, remember. Scholes played on the left in Euro 2004 to accomodate the Lampard/Gerrard central midfield. He then had three or four lean seasons by his high standards as he lost his pace and suffered from injuries (including the eye problem which cost him more than a year). I think he'd have been marginalised in the England squad even had he not retired early.

Paul Scholes is in my top three non-Southend players of all time (with Becks & Matt Le Tiss). In many ways he's currently playing better than ever just spraying passes from his position just in front of the back four. It's such a shame that he didn't play in South Africa because such a great player deserved a swan-song on the greatest stage of them all.

Here's a few quotes about the ginger maestro which I read yesterday:

Micah Richards : "He's always in the right position, always seems to be at the end of the box when the ball drops in. The complete midfielder - when he's fit, he's the best. Some go missing but he's in the right place at the right time. He's my favourite player of all-time, unbelievable. If you give him a chance it's a goal, isn't it?"

Glenn Hoddle : "There isnā€™t a player of his mould anywhere else in the world."

Terry Venables : "Heā€™s the best one- or two-touch passer in the country. He sees the game unlike any other player."

Alan Shearer : "If you ask footballers to pick out the player they most admire, so many of them will pick Paul Scholes. He can tackle, and his passing and shooting is of the highest level. Heā€™s the most consistent and naturally gifted player weā€™ve had for a long, long time."

Eidur Gudjohnsen : "I'm more an admirer of Paul Scholes than I am of Ronaldo. Ronaldo is a fantastic player, but he has 10 other great players around him every week...Scholes is one of the most complete footballers I've ever seen. His one-touch play is phenomenal. Whenever I have played against him, I never felt I could get close to him."

Edgar Davids : ""Every one of us (midfielders) is just trying to become as good as him. Everyone can learn from Paul Scholes."

Edgar Davids : "I'm not the best, Paul Scholes is."

Tony Adams : "I really rate Paul Scholes, because he hasn't got the high profile of many of the Manchester United players, he doesn't get too much attention, but he is one very good player. He is an intelligent player, he works hard and he scores some great goals. He is not flamboyant and is a quiet lad off the pitch but he is a tremendous asset to Manchester United and to England. He has already got my vote as player of the year."

Cesc Fabregas : "He is the one whose level I aspire to. He is the best player in the Premier League."

Patrick Vieira : "The player in the Premiership I admire most? Easy - Scholes."

Thierry Henry : "I can't understand why Scholes has never won the player of the year award. He should have won it long ago. Maybe it's because he doesn't seek the limelight like some of the other 'stars'."

Zinedine Zidane : "My toughest opponent? Scholes of Manchester. He is the complete midfielder."

Zinedine Zidane : "Scholes is undoubtedly the best midfielder of his generation."

Sam Allardyce : "There is not a better midfield player in the world."

Kevin Keegan : "What United have got that Chelsea haven't is Paul Scholes. I think he is different to anything else in English football."

Marcello Lippi : "Paul Scholes would have been one of my first choices for putting together a great team - that goes to show how highly I have always rated him. Scholes is a player I have always liked, because he combines great talent and technical ability with mobility, determination and a superb shot. He is an all-round midfielder who possesses character and quality in abundance. In my opinion, he's been one of the most important players for United under Sir Alex."

Ray Wilkins : "I'm saddened because I think we as spectators, not only in this country but right through out Europe and the rest of the World, will be missing one hell of a footballer."

Gordon Strachan : "Paul Scholes has been the best England midfield player for 30-odd years. You'd probably have to go back to Bobby Charlton to find someone who could do as much as Scholes. When the ball arrives at his feet he could tell you where every player on that pitch is at that moment. His awareness is superb."

Veron while at Chelsea being asked in an interview who's the best english player : "Paul Scholes."

Peter Schmeichel : "People say he is a great player, but you have to define what a great player is, For me, it is a player who has a bottom level that means his worst performance is not noticed.If he is having a bad game, a team-mate might feel Paul Scholes is not quite on his game, but a spectator wouldn't notice. Scholes, of all the players I have played with, has the highest bottom level. His reading of the game is unsurpassed.He has an eye for a pass, for what the play or the game needs at that precise moment, that I have never seen anyone else have. He controls and distributes the play and the game better than anyone I have ever seen."

Laurent Blanc : "Scholes is the best English player. Intelligence, technique, strength... all the attributes are there. At Manchester United I saw what he could do on the training field. Phew!"

David Beckham said that, among his teammates at Real Madrid, which included Zinedine Zidane, RaĆŗl, Ronaldo, LuĆ­s Figo and Roberto Carlos, Scholes was the most admired opponent : "He's always one of those people others talk about. Even playing at Real Madrid, the players always say to me 'what's he like'? They respect him as a footballer, and to have that respect from those players is great.

There's also a fantastic quote by Pele somewhere, saying something along the lines of Paul Scholes being the only current midfielder who would walk into the Brazil team of his era...

He has also managed to play for years at the top without being in the papers for speeding, driving flash cars, taking drugs, beating people up etc.
Top bloke, top player - Giggs too.

Back