• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Angell Delight

Life President
Smithy has been superb this past month and has proven what a good keeper he is. To have kept so many clean sheets is no coincidence, glad to see the fans have got behind him. Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Smith was superb ( again ) tonight and came over really well in the interview.
Praised the fans for the excellent support all season.

Smithy has been superb this past month and has proven what a good keeper he is. To have kept so many clean sheets is no coincidence, glad to see the fans have got behind him. Long may it continue. :thumbsup:

Lets just clear this up once and for all. Smith has been pulling up trees for the last few weeks with his shot stopping. We never doubted this aspect of his game, he is without doubt Championship quality in this department. However he is still just as rooted to the line as he ever was and always will be. If this is the way to go in League two then so be it, Pat Jennings on the deck and Pat Butcher in the air....looks shakey at times but to be fair he's keeping us in a lot of games, it'll do for me!

Lets just clear this up once and for all. Smith has been pulling up trees for the last few weeks with his shot stopping. We never doubted this aspect of his game, he is without doubt Championship quality in this department. However he is still just as rooted to the line as he ever was and always will be. If this is the way to go in League two then so be it, Pat Jennings on the deck and Pat Butcher in the air....looks shakey at times but to be fair he's keeping us in a lot of games, it'll do for me!

BLMEY!!..Wiggy gives praise to a keeper shock!:smile:

So you didn't see the corners that he came out and punched?

Thought he was outstanding tonight. Did he get the man of the match? Deserves it.

He didn't look very "rooted to his line" when he got good distance on at least 3 or 4 punches clear under pressure tonight. Seriously what do people want for L2? He's proved what a good keeper he is for this level in the past month or so, we're lucky to have him. In the Echo a few weeks back it was reported that Smith and the back 4 had been doing extensive work on communication, personally I can see the effects of this. Our clean sheet record is no coincidence, when I think of some of the keepers we've had in this division over the years it sends a shiver down my spine, would I swap Smith for any of them right now? No. He's not Iker Casillas but credit to Luggy for waiting for his main keeper target last summer, it was well worth it. Every keper makes the odd mistake and I'm not disputing it took Smith a number of months to lose the rustiness but I'm extremely glad he's our number 1 and hopefully Bentley will learn from him. If he does he'll be a very capable replacement when the time comes. :thumbsup:

Edit: I'm not having a go wiggy but - in all fairness and I'm sure many will agree - Smith has come off his line for crosses and dead-balls more in the past month than Flahavan ever did for us. Communication and hesitancy in one-on-ones was the only real issue I had with Smith, he's looked far better at this in recent weeks. Hope his form continues. :thumbsup:

So you didn't see the corners that he came out and punched?

Came off his line plenty. Did really well. Even when he looked like he was going to be lobbed, Beagrie said he came out just enough to force Mooney into the lob rather than a direct shot

Smudge has used the personal hurt of the substitution that was made in the away JPT game at Oxford and turned it into a massive positive for him and the team. Long may it continue. Excellent stuff Paul!

Came off his line plenty. Did really well. Even when he looked like he was going to be lobbed, Beagrie said he came out just enough to force Mooney into the lob rather than a direct shot

Sorry can't have that one....absolutely gifted him the lob, wasn't good enough to take it though. Fine performance overall!

ie not very. As it was televised there's even video proof is there that he comes off his line to punch.

Yep, that's why you want a decent size keeper. So much harder to lob a 6'4" keeper than a 5'9" one. Not only is there 7 inches difference in height, the taller keeper will have a bigger reach on top of that. The ball has then got to go over the keeper and back down in time.

Thought Smith was excellent again tonight.

So he should have stayed on his line then ....

Yeah that's an ironic one from wiggy isn't it. :smile:

Although I actually agree with wiggy on that one, I thought that was the only error Smith made all evening. Think he came a little too far myself.

I'd also like to hear what Chris Philips of the Echo has to say about Smith... He has also been very critical of him during the season.....

12 clean sheets this season.... How many other keeps in our division have a similar or better record?

... and if any fans abuse him in future they should have their mouths washed out with soap (Anyone else old enough to remember that ?)

was outstanding tonight (typical) was clearly your man of the match (says it all ;) )

Thought your 20, 23 and 2 were all really good.

Back