• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

From a D&R fans forum discussing their keeper

"His kicking is costing us. Compare Lewi's kicking to the Southend keeper. For their third goal he arrows a ball to a winger who slots it inside for Hurst to finish.....simple."

De Gea, Hart and Rob Green all making mistakes leading to goals today. Every keeper does it. Smith is good enough for our level and compared to the other keepers in League 2 we should be happy.

I never realised the zone had do many Goalkeeping coach's hidden away. Maybe you could all pop down to boots and laces help out PS with the first team and maybe bring some of the youngsters through for Ricky Duncan? We will be awash with world class keepers in no time!!!

I never realised the zone had do many Goalkeeping coach's hidden away. Maybe you could all pop down to boots and laces help out PS with the first team and maybe bring some of the youngsters through for Ricky Duncan? We will be awash with world class keepers in no time!!!
Good point KS! I have a colleague who does some coaching with Terry Mason at the club and he reckons Smith is a good keeper and that punching is perfectly acceptable most of the time he does it. As long as our manager and others with the required experience or coaching badges think Smith is doing a good job then that's ok by me. I can accept the odd aberration, as you say, there are plenty playing at a higher level who make them.

The more wins and clean sheets we get, and the more support he gets from the crowd, the more his confidence will grow and the more we will reap the benefits.

Good point KS! I have a colleague who does some coaching with Terry Mason at the club and he reckons Smith is a good keeper and that punching is perfectly acceptable most of the time he does it. As long as our manager and others with the required experience or coaching badges think Smith is doing a good job then that's ok by me..

I'm not a Smith knocker in any way, but his punching is awful. Invariably it goes downwards which I'm sure Terry Mason does not coach him. I think he will be a good goalkeeper for us at this level but at the moment needs to continue working on his positioning and punching

I'm not a Smith knocker in any way, but his punching is awful. Invariably it goes downwards which I'm sure Terry Mason does not coach him. I think he will be a good goalkeeper for us at this level but at the moment needs to continue working on his positioning and punching

Agree with all that,but may i add, could he be a bit more vocal say like the Daggers keeper

Funny thing people keep going on about him being vocal. It makes me laugh when you see people writing on here that they cant hear smith shouting etc. I sit in the east stand and cant hear many players shouting. Yet yesterday sitting right behind the goal i could hear certainly Cresswell and definately Smith shouting a lot. I think its just another reason for people to pick on smith about. Yet again yesterday he kicked well. punched well, one excellant save in the first half from a freekick that he saw late, and came well for a couple of crosses. As said before by others i would take smith over the chesterfield, bradford and daggers keepers all day long, cant think apart from the vale keeper who has looked better.

Unbelievable nonesense still going on..
We have the best keeper in the league goals by conceded per game. That's good enough for me.
Dagenham goalkeeper let in three, and sliced most of his kicks into touch- but hold on a minute we could him shouting! Must have him then...

Funny thing people keep going on about him being vocal. It makes me laugh when you see people writing on here that they cant hear smith shouting etc. I sit in the east stand and cant hear many players shouting. Yet yesterday sitting right behind the goal i could hear certainly Cresswell and definately Smith shouting a lot. I think its just another reason for people to pick on smith about. Yet again yesterday he kicked well. punched well, one excellant save in the first half from a freekick that he saw late, and came well for a couple of crosses. As said before by others i would take smith over the chesterfield, bradford and daggers keepers all day long, cant think apart from the vale keeper who has looked better.

Sorry chap just taking the **** out of the Daggers keeper,should of added this:whistling:
UTB.

Sorry chap just taking the **** out of the Daggers keeper,should of added this:whistling:
UTB.

Oh ok mate, sorry about that then, im very pro smith so am fed up of all the bashing he gets, just thought you were putting the boot in.

He has his faults as any player does but his record is excellent and long may it continue. Keep it up smudge

I've kept quiet on his kicking until now, but he's ruining our reputation as a passing team by keep on setting up all those goals with his hoofs forward.

It was another two yesterday as his hoofs forward led to Tomlin's first and Hurst's goal. He set up Tomlin's equaliser v Bradford and Hurst's goal against Brentford as well.

I know I'm not the only one who feels this way as every time he kicks it there are complaints from the stands.

This isn't something we expect from a Southend keeper. Sort it out Sturrock!

Exactly. At league 1 and 2 level you are never going to get the perfect keeper. Samson and Royce were the best keepers I've seen in a Southend shirt, yet both had their faults.
I'm sure I remember Royce's kicking was dreadful for a long while.

Yes, he was slow to react imo and the parry/punch was poor and we got that bit of look to clear it. Keeps getting these clean sheets tho:winking:

he keeps goal when he wants, he keeps goal when he wants,
he's paul smith, he keeps goal when he wants!

i remember sammy throwing one into the net v oxfod and the world still turned.

we had a midfielder called paul smith during one of webby's times. he was probably **** in goal so anything is an improvement.

at burton i will be 40 + 1 day. let's hope i don't age too much during the 90 mins. reckon i will have the shortest trip from here. c.25 mins. like the walk from our previous gaff in the borough to the hall.

....absolutely useless again today, refuses to come off that line and is causing all sorts of problems for the defence. Enough is enough....don't care if he is as good as Gordon Banks at shot stopping, the rest of his game is gonna cost us big time!

Back