• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Neil 24

Coach
Smudge seems more settled now gaining confidence with each game, whats folk opinion on his early southend career?

Very good shot stopper I believe - Took a very bad challenge which must of put him back some what . I honestly think he will be very very good at this level .

I agree he had his nervous moments so far but also his cracking moments, before his debut he only had played 90 minutes in 2 year at forest so taking that into consideration he doing well, will become great for us in my opinion.

Hasn't really had a save to make last 2 games. Most shots straight at him. You only have to look at feedback on him from a few years back - he's clearly a good keeper. Suspect he's a confidence player though - if he drops one we need to get right behind him, not have a go at him.

Jury still out for me, also bit concerned that he refused to take part in the traditional "induction" of singing at his first away game, as reported by Neil Harris (I think) in his column in the Echo a few weeks back. Doesn't integrate you that well if you refuse to do that kind of traditional, and harmless, initiation.

I agree that he does look a confidence player. He seems quite quiet, although he was untroubled for the one game I've seen him (Rotherham away). When we were singing 'Southend's Number 1' he seemed very shocked, he doesn't look like a character a la Belford or Flavs, and won't join in banter... but hopefully he'll get his feet under the table and do the business.

He's got a lot better. Looked a bit dodgy after coming back from injury but his first really good game for me was against daggers in the JPT. Needs to be more vocal as well though.

I was expecting more from someone with his experience to be honest.

Hopefully now he is settled in he will show his worth.

The times I've seen him he has been solid - in the LDV game pulled off some great saves. He just needs a few games to settle down.

At first i thought he was a bit dodgy with crosses but has looked better by the game. Made a great save on Saturday to tip a ball over the bar. I'm sure his initial issue was a bit of nerves, especially after his recent years. I've certainly got more confidence in him, more so than Daniel Bentley. Bentley will improve in time though, he is our future keeper i reckon.

Seen him in 3 games, 2 goals conceded. Looks very composed and in control which are good signs but I agree he is too quiet and does'nt appear interested as a character at the mo. Hope that changes and he keeps conceding only a few goals.

I think he has looked ok so far.His kicking is not the best though.Looks a good shot stopper.

Not convinced yet.
Lacks confidence and unfortunately IMO it's the one position where you need it.
Let's see though.

Defo a confidence goalie but has looked better and better with each passing game. Good signing this one IMO.

Good signing. Concentrates on playing football, rather than waving to the fans which i like. Made some excellent stops in the JPT game and depsite his obvious rustiness (which i can relate too lol) you can tell he is a class above the likes of Belford!

However, im thinking he may be on a fair few quid so thus expectations will be higher, along with his pedigree at a higer level.

Kev

Back