• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

southend4ever

I used to play a little.
..... Well he can't can he?

If it's not doing a great job to keep one player satisfied (Granty), or showing great determination to get stuck into a sticky project, or his ability to bring in a whole new team of signings, or his ability to show he has thought of using one extra formation, then I am sure it must be that the excrement that comes out of his backside must be perfectly formed and smelling of roses...

Now, it isn't that I have anything against the bloke but more so the glowing optimism that infiltrates the board at the moment. To be fair, I agree we should be optimistic to the extent it is the only way to go as our future is pretty much out of our hands and Paul's.

It is more a point aimed at picking up the pieces in a time of sheer desperation. So I ask the question... Can he do wrong?

Before answering, I'd like you to consider the aims for the new season from your point of view, strictly football. Tilson, was loved by almost all and after his success most people see Ron as the person to blame following his departure. So if pretty much your whole team follow and refuse to sign new contracts and ask to leave then it begs the question - how do you judge expectation? How do you monitor it? Is there expectation?

Sturrock has had to draft in a squad of new talent - what can we expect from these players?

Passion, guts, determination and putting their bodies on the line is right up there for me. When you see that a football match is most often enjoyable and you have a sense of satisfaction. But, how long until we know what we are capable of?

I mean we can't possibly afford to leave league 2. Relegation isn't an option - It would be the end of the club. Mid Table - if that's our aim to establish the team and build on that then how can we be assured we will be in a position to build on it, due to financial constraints we may well not be!

So, I ask should our expectations only be limited to this one year directly ahead of us with Sturrock working 24/7 to help us where he can? Or are we in a position to look beyond or don't we know? The question mark hanging over the club makes it impossible to share a vision at the moment. If Sturrock has an offer after a year would his chance to re-build a club be lost when the £££ signs are thrashed in front of his eyes?

Hearsay, speculation etc That will all continue, but it does seem that Sturrock has a free reign to do what he can with this club. Not many managers build a squad from scratch, but the danger that is fraught with the task PS has embellished is incredible. What if we don't blend and we flirt with relegation, the players, have they been over paid or is that mission complete to avoid trouble?

Does anyone know? Do the players care? They are all new, and there is no sense of carrying on a tradition of a small seaside club making its way up the leagues and winning cups. That has changed, out with the old in with the new and where do we find ourselves?

I hope you know because I don't!

I wish PS the best of luck and I would love the help understand the expectations of the club, players and fans this season. The be all and end all is SUFC til we die!

Up the Shrimpers and best of Luck Paul Sturrock!

Without expectation you can do no wrong.
My expectation - Passion, pride, belief, All-in, Til death do us part!

S4E

When you're at the bottom, the only way is up.

Most predictions were that we'd struggle to put a team out, let alone a competitive team, so it wasn't hard to exceed expectations.

..... Well he can't can he?

If it's not doing a great job to keep one player satisfied (Granty), or showing great determination to get stuck into a sticky project, or his ability to bring in a whole new team of signings, or his ability to show he has thought of using one extra formation, then I am sure it must be that the excrement that comes out of his backside must be perfectly formed and smelling of roses...

Now, it isn't that I have anything against the bloke but more so the glowing optimism that infiltrates the board at the moment. To be fair, I agree we should be optimistic to the extent it is the only way to go as our future is pretty much out of our hands and Paul's.

It is more a point aimed at picking up the pieces in a time of sheer desperation. So I ask the question... Can he do wrong?

Before answering, I'd like you to consider the aims for the new season from your point of view, strictly football. Tilson, was loved by almost all and after his success most people see Ron as the person to blame following his departure. So if pretty much your whole team follow and refuse to sign new contracts and ask to leave then it begs the question - how do you judge expectation? How do you monitor it? Is there expectation?

Sturrock has had to draft in a squad of new talent - what can we expect from these players?

Passion, guts, determination and putting their bodies on the line is right up there for me. When you see that a football match is most often enjoyable and you have a sense of satisfaction. But, how long until we know what we are capable of?

I mean we can't possibly afford to leave league 2. Relegation isn't an option - It would be the end of the club. Mid Table - if that's our aim to establish the team and build on that then how can we be assured we will be in a position to build on it, due to financial constraints we may well not be!

So, I ask should our expectations only be limited to this one year directly ahead of us with Sturrock working 24/7 to help us where he can? Or are we in a position to look beyond or don't we know? The question mark hanging over the club makes it impossible to share a vision at the moment. If Sturrock has an offer after a year would his chance to re-build a club be lost when the £££ signs are thrashed in front of his eyes?

Hearsay, speculation etc That will all continue, but it does seem that Sturrock has a free reign to do what he can with this club. Not many managers build a squad from scratch, but the danger that is fraught with the task PS has embellished is incredible. What if we don't blend and we flirt with relegation, the players, have they been over paid or is that mission complete to avoid trouble?

Does anyone know? Do the players care? They are all new, and there is no sense of carrying on a tradition of a small seaside club making its way up the leagues and winning cups. That has changed, out with the old in with the new and where do we find ourselves?

I hope you know because I don't!

I wish PS the best of luck and I would love the help understand the expectations of the club, players and fans this season. The be all and end all is SUFC til we die!

Up the Shrimpers and best of Luck Paul Sturrock!

Without expectation you can do no wrong.
My expectation - Passion, pride, belief, All-in, Til death do us part!

S4E

I had a break from here for a few weeks so maybe that's when the board was swamped with glowing optimism cause I haven't noticed it.
Though after 4 pre-season friendlies it looks the Sturrock Out campaign may be about to start.
Can I be the first to say that whoever replaces Sturrock is rubbish too. Sturrock's replacement out! Now!

I had a break from here for a few weeks so maybe that's when the board was swamped with glowing optimism cause I haven't noticed it.
Though after 4 pre-season friendlies it looks the Sturrock Out campaign may be about to start.
Can I be the first to say that whoever replaces Sturrock is rubbish too. Sturrock's replacement out! Now!

Why does it look like the Sturrock out campaign is about to start?

Didn't PS say the he was building a team for league two, but with league one in mind. He said he didn't want to sign another team for league one. If this is the case, then he is setting his stall outm, and it speaks for itself.

Sorry don't have a link to the story, but I am sure that was the gist of it.

I think that you always have to look to the future, in whatever form it takes,

Sturrock will only be as good as his results, personally, after the last couple of years, I don't care how we win, beautiful football would be nice, but 20+ 1-0 will do me fine whatever system Sturrock wants to employ..

One thing that comes across in all of this is we are always able to survive, sometimes its a little near the knuckle I admit,

If you think about it, we have had a cr*p season and still we get 3500+ season tickets sold....

Anyway,I blame Peter Clarke...its all his fault... ( and did you know he cost us a million...)

Didn't PS say the he was building a team for league two, but with league one in mind. He said he didn't want to sign another team for league one. If this is the case, then he is setting his stall outm, and it speaks for itself.

Sorry don't have a link to the story, but I am sure that was the gist of it.

I think that you always have to look to the future, in whatever form it takes,

Sturrock will only be as good as his results, personally, after the last couple of years, I don't care how we win, beautiful football would be nice, but 20+ 1-0 will do me fine whatever system Sturrock wants to employ..

One thing that comes across in all of this is we are always able to survive, sometimes its a little near the knuckle I admit,

If you think about it, we have had a cr*p season and still we get 3500+ season tickets sold....

Anyway,I blame Peter Clarke...its all his fault... ( and did you know he cost us a million...)

Two very good points! Yes PAK I remember Paul saying that and we I suppose must take his word but it will be very hard to succeed aiming that high if you ask me! Certainly going to take a while!

It is great to support the team still and seeing all those STC being sold is brilliant for the club and is the only thing we can continue to do. Support the club all the way!

Quite rightly the only way is up! But we did have a team when Tilly was here and then they all did the off's. I wonder how long PS was lined up for and what his objectives are from Ron! Because having a team that don't want to play for you is not good times. Now he has new players in who we hope can thrive with the opportunity. Was it foolish to suggest we are building for league 1?

Why does it look like the Sturrock out campaign is about to start?

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek as I had read your comment about being against the 'glowing optimism' straight after reading the 'wake-up call' thread.

Good question. I guess only time will tell.

I do have high hopes for Rhys Evans though. I've always thought he was a decent player, and probably a class above L2. I hope he does well here.

S4E

How many players actually care about the tradition of a club ?

We had a squad last year who didnt care at the end (due to how they were treated) and this season we have a team of players keen to impress after being without clubs and facing the dole queue.

They will hopefully be hungrier than the previous years squad and come baggage free. Unless the wages problems continue then we will be back to square one....

Unless you're playing for a club of the stature of Liverpool, Manchester United or Barcelona, I don't think any player gives two ***** about a club's tradition.

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek as I had read your comment about being against the 'glowing optimism' straight after reading the 'wake-up call' thread.

I gathered that! Optimism is great. Good to see it! But I think when you get beat around so much you do get to the point where you feel the only way is up!

How many players actually care about the tradition of a club ?

We had a squad last year who didnt care at the end (due to how they were treated) and this season we have a team of players keen to impress after being without clubs and facing the dole queue.

They will hopefully be hungrier than the previous years squad and come baggage free. Unless the wages problems continue then we will be back to square one....

I am afraid I can't answer that question! I would like to think it is a fair few players. But I suppose that has died out with loyalty. You make a move to a new club and you make a couple of token good will gestures and responses to the media and you are sorted combined with a few committed displays early in your career! I think we are almost gone of the days where players stay with one club throughout their career. Hard to put a time on how long it takes to fall in love with a club and play for the badge and the fans.

Back