• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Sturrock interview

Interesting 2023 BBC Scotland programme on Paul Sturrock ('Icons of Football'), with a brief Southend mention plus Graham Coughlan interview just after 21:30 minutes. Best to turn on subtitles as it can sometimes be hard to make out what Paul's saying, due to Parkinson's I guess. He's 66 now.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0frxl3t

Paul Sturrock dragged us by the collar from the brink, with his contact book, his astute management, and his nous we delayed our downfall to the abyss of non league for a decade. As Delr says, he will be a forever shrimper as long as time goes on. Not something banded about lightly, he is a legend.

Interesting 2023 BBC Scotland programme on Paul Sturrock ('Icons of Football'), with a brief Southend mention plus Graham Coughlan interview just after 21:30 minutes. Best to turn on subtitles as it can sometimes be hard to make out what Paul's saying, due to Parkinson's I guess. He's 66 now.
i watched this last night - quite a bit of footage of us at the training ground and at a game and yes Coughlan getting a bit choked up when talking about Luggys PD. Worth a watch if only for the briefest of glimpses of Ken ‘McNasty’ Jarvis

Thanks for posting that, a good watch

Paul Sturrock. What a legend.

Love this. Sad to see how much his Parkinson's has taken hold now.

Personally love this bloke. I didn't at first. I irrationally blamed him for the way Tilson had been unceremoniously disposed of despite being constantly undermined by Ron Martin between 2008 and 2010.

What Luggy did was remarkable, though. We could so easily have followed Stockport out of the EFL that season as we were arguably in a worse state than them on the pitch over the summer. His contacts and his influencing built a new squad in a matter of weeks.

Were it not for injuries to Timlin and Dickinson, plus Ron Martin caving to the vocal minority'a complaints about the style of football and disrupting things by requesting that Luggy get the ball on the deck a bit more, we'd have gone up in 2011/12. The first half of that season was superb, sitting top on over 50 points at the halfway stage and scoring goals for fun. Shouldn't have mattered how we did it.

Love this. Sad to see how much his Parkinson's has taken hold now.

Personally love this bloke. I didn't at first. I irrationally blamed him for the way Tilson had been unceremoniously disposed of despite being constantly undermined by Ron Martin between 2008 and 2010.

What Luggy did was remarkable, though. We could so easily have followed Stockport out of the EFL that season as we were arguably in a worse state than them on the pitch over the summer. His contacts and his influencing built a new squad in a matter of weeks.

Were it not for injuries to Timlin and Dickinson, plus Ron Martin caving to the vocal minority'a complaints about the style of football and disrupting things by requesting that Luggy get the ball on the deck a bit more, we'd have gone up in 2011/12. The first half of that season was superb, sitting top on over 50 points at the halfway stage and scoring goals for fun. Shouldn't have mattered how we did it.
When you think about it, I cant think of a more perfect manager for the situation we were in. People came to southend just to play for him.

I chatted to him briefly on the day of the final total gent considering what had just been done to him.

Dignity.

Just watched the BBC Youtube Icons video.... brilliant.

What this man did for our Club will never be forgotten, a true hero. And what he's going through now.....

Saw him outside Wembley in his kilt somewhat the worse for wear and he had time for a chat and a photo too.

Think it was one of his very first matches at Roots Hall (can't remember the opposition, or even the result!) that the linesman on the East side put his flag up then lowered it, leading to a goal against us. Luggy went ballistic on the touchline and was sent to the stands, where we cheered him! I thought then that we could get to like this fella... he had passion.

Thanks Luggy..... keep fighting mate.

Think it was one of his very first matches at Roots Hall (can't remember the opposition, or even the result!) that the linesman on the East side put his flag up then lowered it, leading to a goal against us. Luggy went ballistic on the touchline and was sent to the stands, where we cheered him! I thought then that we could get to like this fella... he had
Stockport at home, Blair Sturrock came on as a sub and got a 96th minute equaliser in a 1-1 draw. Stockport ended up getting relegated from the EFL that season,

Back