• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I always liked Blair, tried so hard to fill the no 10 role and yet seriously under-appreciated. A really lovely guy off the pitch too, chip off the old block.

Paul Sturrock build a team who were consistently upper-midtable in a season in which most on here claimed that anything above the bottom two would be an incredible achievement. He then achieved more points in a season than any other manager in our history has got and took us to Wembley for the first time.

If that isn't enough for some people...

Well said Beefy, I think you echo the overwhelming majority of sensible supporters feelings.

Shame for Sturrock but not surprised given the results at Yeovil. Seems a decent sort of bloke but IMO has been overrated by many Shrimpers fans. His record was reasonable but no better than that considering he was allowed to sign over fifty players during his time here, very few have gone on to be successful. To me he was an average manager for us, certainly a lot better than many we have had but way behind Tilly, Webby, Fry, Brown and Dave Smith. All the best him though.

Unbelievable. He cobbled together a group of players based on his own contacts and personality who came to a club at risk of relegation to the conference and with a track record of not paying the players wages. The bloke was a hero and very few other managers could have and would have done what he did. I absolutely believe he saved SUFC.

We could win the Prem and there'd always be one or two on here who would claim it was more luck than anything the manager did. we all know any manager can be succesful at one club and fail at another. Just makes me realise how fortunate we were that first season under Luggy that the team he dragged together gelled enough for us to never be seriously in trouble of relegation. I'm sure he will have applied the same principles at Yoevil but for whatever reason it didn't work there. Shame, I'm certainly grateful for what he did for us. Who'd be a lower league manager..

We could win the Prem and there'd always be one or two on here who would claim it was more luck than anything the manager did. we all know any manager can be succesful at one club and fail at another. Just makes me realise how fortunate we were that first season under Luggy that the team he dragged together gelled enough for us to never be seriously in trouble of relegation. I'm sure he will have applied the same principles at Yoevil but for whatever reason it didn't work there. Shame, I'm certainly grateful for what he did for us. Who'd be a lower league manager..

As Yeovil flirt with their third successive relegation, you'd have to think the problems run deeper than the manager. Thankfully for us Sturrock was able to stop our slide into the abyss before then building the platform for Brown. A limited time in the hotseat but an important manager in Southend's history.

As Yeovil flirt with their third successive relegation, you'd have to think the problems run deeper than the manager. Thankfully for us Sturrock was able to stop our slide into the abyss before then building the platform for Brown. A limited time in the hotseat but an important manager in Southend's history.

Stockport were relegated to league 2 at the same time as us and look where they have ended up! Luggy's first season brought stability.

I bet the ad' in "Manager's Weekly" got a lot of attention...

"Southend United FC seek manager. Six players, of which five are on the transfer list. You will have no budget and might not get paid, like most of the other staff. The new season starts in six weeks. Send c.v. and SAE (we can't afford a stamp) to..."

Maybe Luggy will finally call it a day now. If I recall correctly, he is not a well man and I would think that Yeovil's performances this season probably haven't helped that. I personally have great memories of the guy. Things like the crowd scenes at the end of the Orient area final at the Hall, and him being part of 'us' at the Wembley final will stay in my memories for a long time. Thank you Luggy, and good luck for the future whatever you decide to do.

He did a great job for us, treated badly ultimately.
Looked so proud at Green Man before Wembley.
Shame Yeovil lost their nerve.
One of our better managers, fondly remembered, a true gent.:thumbsup:

Back