• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

paying agents fees

shoebury

My first post so please humour me. Anyone else see the BBC footy thing today about agents fees, if not i have posted a link here.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8924210.stm

This article shows the amount paid by football league clubs to agents. It also shows 14 clubs that didnt pay anything. Blues were NOT among the 14 abstainers. So, and i am sure i will be corrected, we must have paid something to agents last season, but (a) didnt transfer any new players in, and (b) didnt pay players on time but managed to pay agents. I have no idea the amounts involved, they are probably relatively small, but surely players are more needy / worthy than the blood ******* agents.

My first post so please humour me. Anyone else see the BBC footy thing today about agents fees, if not i have posted a link here.

This article shows the amount paid by football league clubs to agents. It also shows 14 clubs that didnt pay anything. Blues were NOT among the 14 abstainers. So, and i am sure i will be corrected, we must have paid something to agents last season, but (a) didnt transfer any new players in, and (b) didnt pay players on time but managed to pay agents. I have no idea the amounts involved, they are probably relatively small, but surely players are more needy / worthy than the blood ******* agents.

Welcome to the board Shoebury. I did actually mention this yesterday but it was hidden away in a 'possible transfer target' thread. The link below gives more detailed info about our contributions............understandably much reduced last season.
http://www.southendunited-mad.co.uk...k_to_reduce_this_liability_547719/index.shtml

Are agents at this level really 'blood-*******'? Seems like a crass generalisation.

Welcome.

I think we paid £18k in agents fees, down from £72k. There was a thread about it somewhere.

As for paying the players late, who says we paid the agents on time?

Did we actually pay them though or are they showing agents fees accounted for ?

I would imagine that agents not being paid by a club would have quite an impact on transfer activity , in as much that not only would it hinder anyone coming in, it may well galvanise the agents to find players on their books who are at the non playing club to better deals elsewhere.

Agents are used in every entity of player trading... negotiating new contracts, contract terminations etc... I'd hazard a guess that agents we spent on were linked to players we obtained in the Championship.

Agents are used in every entity of player trading... negotiating new contracts, contract terminations etc... I'd hazard a guess that agents we spent on were linked to players we obtained in the Championship.

Yeah, I imagine that we paid agents a fair bit in connection with the contract terminations in recent months. And they probably earned their money there,to be fair.

Welcome shoebury. Interesting that the Blackpool Chairman Karl Oyston has just resigned. The word coming out is that he is disillusioned with dealing with players agents. The greedy buggers drove him round the bend.

Welcome on board Shoebury :clap:

Yeah it would be great if we had not paid any agents fee's like those 14 other clubs, but I see the fact we dropped from £72k the previous season to £18k as a positive in saving money. And that £18k will have gone to agents for the loan players we got in, contract renewals etc. - it's not just for permenant transfers. Col Ewe paid a whopping £140k, the 4th highest in the division!

thank you all for your gratious responses. I still have my doubts as to the benefits provided from agents. Its true players were definately exploited in earlier years, which seemed to go some way to justifying their existence, but today is that still the case.

Agents work on behalf of Clubs as much as they work on behalf of Players.

It's right that football should be trying to stop money going out of the game, but you're never going to eliminate the role of an agent.

thank you all for your gratious responses. I still have my doubts as to the benefits provided from agents. Its true players were definately exploited in earlier years, which seemed to go some way to justifying their existence, but today is that still the case.

I think it works both ways. If a player is genuinely happy at a club, he'd use his agent just to negotiate a new contract. If he's not, or he sees himself at a bigger club, the agent will go on the look-out.

However, some agents have been guilty of representing both the club and the player in the same deal which is nothing short of scandalous...

Agents work on behalf of Clubs as much as they work on behalf of Players.

It's right that football should be trying to stop money going out of the game, but you're never going to eliminate the role of an agent.

Barry Hearn raised an interesting point on SSN yesterday evening... He basically alluded that the majority of agents he ended up dealing with were simply mates of the player trying to weasel money on the back of their talent. I'd imagine this is quite a common occurence lower down the ladder you get, but it begs the question as to how easy it must be to become a licensed agent.

Agents are a necessary evil of the game, but dealings would be considerably easier if they policed agents as thoroughly as they (say they) police chairmen.

Agents should be paid by the players as that is who they are (generally) representing.

Back