• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But we can't sign the best young left back in League Two because the transfer window is shut.

As Rhb said, this is Phil Brown answering a question about whether there's anyone available who we might be interested in and letting us know he's had an offer from an Agent. If we sign him then we can all moan about it and then after that find out if he's any good (Fortune).

A big name eh - that should massage Brown's ego nicely. But of all the things up with that team, the left back position isn't it. We are also becoming a dumping ground for has-been footballers – this can't be good for our wage bill and is going to leave some future manager with a big clearance job. If we did need a left back, which we don't, surely we should be trying to identify the best young one in league 2.

We've already got a full back with one of the biggest names in football ....Jordan Alawode-Williams :thumbsup:

Indeed, even Binnon-Williams wouldn't be as big a name signing!

If Coker is going nowhere and we sign a left-back it will only emphasise just how stupid Brown is in the transfer market.

Kyprianou has done alright when needed, White and O'Neill can both play there if required too. Absolutely no need for it unless it's just to inflate Brown's ego a little bit more.

Entirely this.

What's this going to do Coker and Kyprianou's confidence? If Coker needs a kick up the backside then Brown just needs to pick Kyprianou.

Entirely this.

What's this going to do Coker and Kyprianou's confidence? If Coker needs a kick up the backside then Brown just needs to pick Kyprianou.

There's not a position in our squad that can't be improved. If Brown can identify someone better than what we've got then it would be foolish for him not to explore the possibility.

Again, it is way too early to criticise him for this.

There's not a position in our squad that can't be improved. If Brown can identify someone better than what we've got then it would be foolish for him not to explore the possibility.

Again, it is way too early to criticise him for this.

The criticism is that he's made a story out of it

Fair enough. He's answered a question though. The players and press would have found out when Kieron Richardson (or whoever) had turned up for training one day.
Whilst you have a point, if Richardson turns round and says "why would I want to go to Southend? No chance" then Phil has got nothing out of it and annoyed some of his players just so he can talk to the press (see Bolton job, Sunderland job, England job for similar cases).

Entirely this.

Unlike some of the zoners the players take no notice of the Evening Echo. Agents contact managers all the time about players. Including Cokers agent who will be touting him (legally or not) to other clubs long before his contract ends.

We need a good balance in the squad. If you have three right-backs, we need three left-backs otherwise it just won't work!

Anyone who thinks Coker is a good left back is watching a different player to me , bang average in my humble opinion. Hendrie that we had on loan last year was far superior . So why not look at others ?

Anyone who thinks Coker is a good left back is watching a different player to me , bang average in my humble opinion. Hendrie that we had on loan last year was far superior . So why not look at others ?

He's very solid defensively and before he arrived it was a position we really struggled with. He's not the best going forwards though - spends a lot of time up there to no real effect. Why the lad won't cross first time I have no idea.

Here goes - I will stick my head up above the parapet.

I like Coker. I think he plays well. I hope he stays. The team is stronger with Cokes in the team .... but he is only part of that team and if the rest of the team is struggling then so will he. Even great players like Stan struggled at times when part of a poor Southend team.

There it is. I've said it.

Here goes - I will stick my head up above the parapet.

I like Coker. I think he plays well. I hope he stays. The team is stronger with Cokes in the team .... but he is only part of that team and if the rest of the team is struggling then so will he. Even great players like Stan struggled at times when part of a poor Southend team.

There it is. I've said it.

I'll always remember Coker sprinting back after many would have given up to bail us out with a last ditch challenge in the playoff final. Without that there is no last gasp equaliser, no penalty shootout, no special moment and no League 1 football. The player left on his arse on halfway to necessitate it? Adam Barrett, recognised near universally as a legend, and justifiably so. All players at the lower levels will have limitations but in Coker I think we've got a pretty good one in terms of both ability and attitude, and it seems that view is shared by a few Championship scouts.

What's the big deal, we already have a good left back, we may get a better one. All this, 'it may damage a players confidence' is a load of rubbish. Their in the wrong job if they can't handle competition. No player is indispensable, I think some players need reminding of that from time to time.

What's the big deal, we already have a good left back, we may get a better one. All this, 'it may damage a players confidence' is a load of rubbish. They are in the wrong job if they can't handle competition. No player is indispensable, I think some players need reminding of that from time to time.

I think it is the people on here saying a player's confidence might suffer ....... that doesn't mean it's true! :unsure:

So, what's the conclusion? Do we deduce that Coker leaving in January is a 'done deal' so we need to secure a 'mature' LB until Kyprianou is ready?

I like Coker; along with Lenny he is one player you can rely on when the going gets tough, but it would not suprise me if he is going - he's at a time in his career when he may need to move if he's ever going to play at a higher level, and RM isn't going to turn down a decent fee given our financial predicament.

Back