• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I’ve said it on another thread and others are alluding to it here.

I am not actually massively disappointed in how things have turned out regarding signings . Obviously we need to see the guys in action but I don’t think its that bad . If Brown had not made the statements to the press he did, or had phrased them differently there would not be half the posts there have been IMO . Why he says what he says I don’t know ,. All he does it makes a rod for us to beat him with - its totally crazy. If he had said that he backed the payers he has, reminded us of the quality that will hopefully be fit soon and said that he wanted to sign a small amount of players but wanted quality rather than quality and used Cox as an example then our expectations going into the final week would have been very different . He could have even mentioned that he knows the current squad and himself are capable of better performances and everyone is focused on that. We might actually be focussed on what a coup it was getting Ferdinand rather than focusing on the lack of signings . We could soon have a line up which included three ex Premiership players - that’s a first isn’t it ?, none of the players are ‘past it’ so surely this is something we should excited about?

Unfortunately it is PB who set the expectation level, not the supporters (as has been suggested on another thread) and therefore all of the threads are far more negative than they might have been . If he had not set the expectations , and the stupid statements about the importance of yesterday then this might be a far happier place today s

“I empathise with the supporters. I know they would have wanted to see four of five coming in but does that win a game of football?"

Is that a rhetorical or sincere question Phil?

So now he's saying bringing in 4 or 5 doesn't win games, make your mind up, couple of weeks ago we needed 4 or 5 according to you.....tangoed tit !!!!! He really does spout crap 24/7

He said 4 or 5 since when he has brought in two. Both players that increases the strength of our squad in terms of quality. He has banged on about quality meaning more than quality and that he would only bring in players better than what we already have. That he couldn't do- could he have brought in a couple for the sake of it? Yes, easy?

Every one will now want to selectively pick 'facts' and 'quotes' through there own selective filter to suit their initial prejudice. In the end it will change nothing. Unless we decide to take Theo on we will have 4 strikers one of whom is JW. When Cox, Mooney and Ranger are fit our forward like is a strength- a couple of injuries (unless one of them is JW) then ouch. I would take Theo on.

I think we were interested in a U21 winger loan but Kyprianou performance I think brought into question why would we not use our own talent when it seems better.

If I was a 21 year stuck at Premier Club playing 'boys' football with no prospect of playing in first team, with now no prospect of a loan, I would be less than happy. Did Sam McQueen go on loan? If not, and he is not going to play in the first team then he is about to waste a year of his career- no player his age should be doing that. Yes the system is creating the situation, but more so the 'advisers'. If an U21 manager wants to keep the player to make his team stronger than the risk is putting his own results ahead of the player. As for agents- well no qualifications or standards required so pot luck- some are complete numpties and they don't get paid for a loan!

Brown: "We were associated with Ebanks-Blake but he wasn’t someone I thought would improve our front-line."

So PB thinks that Williams is better than Ebanks-Blake does he? Football is finally past the point of no return :nope:

No he thinks that Ebanks-Bank is no better (not Williams better). The Ebanks-Banks when he could run would have been better, the one Chesterfield were desperate to off load even on a cheap loan in PB's opinion isn't- and TBH he would probably take Theo Robinson ahead of him as well.

Questioning why players aren't connected to clubs, ahem Ranger, Ferdinand..... blokes a complete moron

Yet again deliberating misrepresenting to support a prejudice. He said that players who are STILL unattached after the window closed. Both Ferdinand and Ranger were signed in the window like many many other players.

On more than one occasion in this forum, I've sounded off about agents who put their own financial interests ahead of the best professional interests of the often young players that they represent, so I have to say that I sympathise with Mr Brown's comments about them. I'm in the "don't give in to outrageous demands" camp on matters like this. I suspect that our chairman and manager are of the same opinion, particularly bearing in mind how close to the wind the club frequently sails financially. Other clubs that have signed players may be less principled or more wealthy or both. I'm not an apologist for Mr Brown or Mr Martin but I can see where they're coming from here. Some of Mr Brown's other comments are spurious, to say the least, however.

Agree with much of this.

Agents don't get paid for loan moves normally (so they are not interested), U21 mangers are worried they will be judged by there results on the pitch so want to keep people. Both have vested interests and may not give the best advise.

Take Sam McQueen. Has he gone out on loan.
If not and he doesn't play in the first team the new system means at the age of 21/22 he will waste a year of his career playing 'boys' football. And its a short career. Very few of the young players these day have the gumption to say if I am not going to be in the first team I want to go on as loan and develop as player- and so agent if you don't get paid, and sorry U21 manager if we may not now win the 'boys' league.

Whatever way you look at it, its a failure. Its a failure if you set out to achieve something and you don't achieve it. Who's fault is up for debate, its not 100% the Manager, as he indicates. And how damaging that failure will turn out to be we won't know until the next weeks and months unfold. Relying on the last day to complete your business is a risk as it is for anything we do in life and leave until the last minute.

He didn't rely on it though (we brought 8 is it players in before the last day). We have been trying to buy Simpson and some others for 4-5 weeks now. Didn't happen. If we wanted to take just anyone for the remaining two places (4- Ferdinand- Innis) then it would have been easy. He didn't for the reasons he pointed.

I have more of an issue with Brown keep saying the squad isn't strong enough. His choice of words sometimes leave a lot to be desired. If he had said the squad needs more strength in depth then that would have made more sense. Don't think the players really needed to hear that yesterday was a season defining day. Brown is saying in not so many words that some of the players he has are not good enough.

Brown's job is to get the very best out of what resources he has rather than continually moan about what he hasn't got. Our best side if we are ever able to field it is more than good enough to survive. Though unfortunately probably no better than that.

As has been said many times he gives an honest answer to question- if he didn't answer we would moan even more and claim we have the right to a straight answer. He can't win. He will never win. My advise to him is tell us nothing. He will still get pilloriesd but it will take no effort on his part.

The comments by PB at the start of this thread deserve some sympathy. He has identified twelve strikers and he can count himself unlucky that no deals could be made. Most managers would have realistically expected at least one of them to sign.

I wonder if Browns comments are sometimes directed at Ron rather than at the fans. IE - give me more money

Lets talk facts for a bit.

12 teams in this division made more than one signing yesterday

There was no activity at three clubs.

We were one of six clubs to make one loaning signing only.

Three clubs made one permanent signing only.

I could break down the loanees into long term and short term, but I don't have the time.

So actually, as far as League One is concerned. Our deadline day performance was average.

In total, there were only 36 players signed by League One clubs yesterday and seven of them went to Bolton or Peterborough.

Also - only 5 clubs were below us

If you've already got a strong squad then you don't need to act, it's only really relevant if you have weaknesses in your squad.

We weren't desperate. We wanted a centre half, a third (fourth?) winger and a backup striker. Maybe a fifth centre mid for a month. We got one of those and will probably sign the striker soon.

That's numbers, but have we got the quality?

Dick Bate, Bobby Moore, Peter Taylor, Alvin Martin era just to name some worse times

So just the worst for nearly 20 years.

As has been said many times he gives an honest answer to question- if he didn't answer we would moan even more and claim we have the right to a straight answer. He can't win. He will never win. My advise to him is tell us nothing. He will still get pilloriesd but it will take no effort on his part.

A worrying attribute for a football manager.

We weren't desperate. We wanted a centre half, a third (fourth?) winger and a backup striker. Maybe a fifth centre mid for a month. We got one of those and will probably sign the striker soon.

It's just my take on it. I think we are desperate for an attacking mid . I accept we have people returning from injury but with their recent track record it would be a concern how long they stay injury free. Also I dont feel uber confident over the amount of goals they will contribute or telling balls. This position worries me most. It is key to our strikers performing and our strikers being supported. I will still say we are desperate for that acquisition but then that's my wish list and that of many teams.

I agree with you and that's where I said my concern was before we even started the season. I think that's where we've been harmed most by the changes in the transfer system - with Wordsworth and Timlin coming back in a couple of weeks that's a hole in the squad that any other year we'd fill using a one month loan. This year we can't loan anyone for a month - it's til January minimum. And who is going to loan us a decent player for four months who might only play four games?

Brown: "We were associated with Ebanks-Blake but he wasn’t someone I thought would improve our front-line."

So PB thinks that Williams is better than Ebanks-Blake does he? Football is finally past the point of no return :nope:

I would have posted exactly the same as this. Ebanks-Blake would have been a great signing and a big improvement on Williams. It would have given us an option we don't have. He is bound to score against us when we play Shrewsbury

He didn't rely on it though (we brought 8 is it players in before the last day). We have been trying to buy Simpson and some others for 4-5 weeks now. Didn't happen. If we wanted to take just anyone for the remaining two places (4- Ferdinand- Innis) then it would have been easy. He didn't for the reasons he pointed.

Well if it wasn't a failure, than it must have been a success! Who knew........??

The comments by PB at the start of this thread deserve some sympathy. He has identified twelve strikers and he can count himself unlucky that no deals could be made. Most managers would have realistically expected at least one of them to sign.

Maybe it says more about the manager than anything else

Back