• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peloton

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
Just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience of Peloton? It's my wife's 30th birthday in March and every time she sees the Peloton adverts on TV she comments that she'd like one, but they just seem extortionate to me. Nearly £1800 for the bike and then you've got the monthly membership on top of that. Is it worth it?

Just wondering if anyone on here has had any experience of Peloton? It's my wife's 30th birthday in March and every time she sees the Peloton adverts on TV she comments that she'd like one, but they just seem extortionate to me. Nearly £1800 for the bike and then you've got the monthly membership on top of that. Is it worth it?

£1800??? To ride a stationary bike in your own home??? **** that.

Better off buying a couple of half decent mountain bikes for you & your missus, and get out and about. There’s some great spots around South Essex to go riding.

What about a job at Deliveroo?

Better off buying a couple of half decent mountain bikes for you & your missus, and get out and about. There’s some great spots around South Essex to go riding.

I'll second that. Riding a stationary bike gets very boring very quickly.

Reactions: GBJ

It's nearer £2,500 for the bike, and around £40 a month for the app. If you're really keen, then consider two other options; Zwift and Echelon.

Zwift is more for cyclists to practice indoors against other cyclists, i.e. it's not a spinning bike and app in the way Peloton is. You can set this up pretty cheaply as well since it is just an app, you just need a bike and a cheap turbo trainer. But, you can also really go to town and pair it with a smart trainer that will adjust the resistance automatically depending on the gradient you're currently cycling (from the app). You can also pair it with a Kickr climb that takes the place of the front wheel and adjusts your bike's angle depending on the gradient you're currently cycling. They've also just released a kickr headwind which is a fan that will adjust to various things including your speed, heart rate and app weather conditions.

There's also the cheaper version of Peleton, which is called Echelon. The difference is that Echelon bikes come without screen, you use either your phone or tablet.

I know someone who has it and swears by it
But it’s like all things only good if you can afford it and happy to pay the monies
Personally prefer being out running in the open air , but the Peleton fits into their busy work/ family day so it’s horses for courses

Used to be One tree hill in the 70's

Reactions: GBJ
I know someone who has it and swears by it
But it’s like all things only good if you can afford it and happy to pay the monies

And make use of it.

Personally prefer being out running in the open air , but the Peleton fits into their busy work/ family day so it’s horses for courses
Same here, but indoor exercise does have its place. Especially on days like today!

I would say that if she's really in to spinning then yes it's worth it. However, if it's something likely to be a fad, then I'd say not...

I would recommend she attends a few classes if she's not tried it before. That's assuming they open before March that is.

I go to Push in Leigh and their classes are excellent, but beware... due to the requisite distancing required these days the bikes are reduced and therefore class demand is that much higher. However they offer trial classes so I'm sure they'll always try and accommodate her.

I would spin up to 4 times a week and it's great. Low impact mindless exercise that can clear out 800+ calories if in the right frame of mind.

If you're going to order one do it now, as they're massively backlogged with orders.

In terms of bike, the Keiser M3 is a much better bike but it doesn't have the screen and online classes. That's nothing a rack and an iPad connected to YouTube won't fix.

I would say that if she's really in to spinning then yes it's worth it. However, if it's something likely to be a fad, then I'd say not...

I would recommend she attends a few classes if she's not tried it before. That's assuming they open before March that is.

I go to Push in Leigh and their classes are excellent, but beware... due to the requisite distancing required these days the bikes are reduced and therefore class demand is that much higher. However they offer trial classes so I'm sure they'll always try and accommodate her.

I would spin up to 4 times a week and it's great. Low impact mindless exercise that can clear out 800+ calories if in the right frame of mind.

If you're going to order one do it now, as they're massively backlogged with orders.

In terms of bike, the Keiser M3 is a much better bike but it doesn't have the screen and online classes. That's nothing a rack and an iPad connected to YouTube won't fix.

That's basically what I do. I already had a relatively nice bike. I spent £50 on a very low end turbo trainer and use my phone and YouTube. The GCN Network have some fantastic bike workouts on there.

If you buy a turbo trainer make sure you buy a turbo trainer tyre.

I tried with a regular MTB tyre and it started to disintegrate.

If you buy a turbo trainer make sure you buy a turbo trainer tyre.

I tried with a regular MTB tyre and it started to disintegrate.

I suppose to a certain extent it would depend on how often you use the turbo trainer. I use it for somewhere between half and one hour a week (weather permitting - I don't bring my bike indoors) and it seems to be holding up ok.

I've used a Peloton a few times in US hotels. I think they had them installed as an advertising thing, and they are absolutely massive in the states.

I've been very tempted to purchase one but they are a bit expensive for what you get.

The app and classes are great if you like spinning. Londonblue is correct that Zwift is better if you're into road cycling. Peloton is fantastic if you're into HIIT and spinning.

The bikes are well made and the app runs well. Both live classes and on-demand videos. It means you get that 'spin class' feeling without having to leave your house and so it can definitely fit more easily into a busy schedule.

I bought a concept2 rower which is great but doesn't get as much as I hoped. Need to set up a telly or something in front of it and then do a session while watching football or something.

I've used a Peloton a few times in US hotels. I think they had them installed as an advertising thing, and they are absolutely massive in the states.

I've been very tempted to purchase one but they are a bit expensive for what you get.

The app and classes are great if you like spinning. Londonblue is correct that Zwift is better if you're into road cycling. Peloton is fantastic if you're into HIIT and spinning.

The bikes are well made and the app runs well. Both live classes and on-demand videos. It means you get that 'spin class' feeling without having to leave your house and so it can definitely fit more easily into a busy schedule.

I bought a concept2 rower which is great but doesn't get as much as I hoped. Need to set up a telly or something in front of it and then do a session while watching football or something.
Have you got the training book with the rower? If not I recommend it, some good sessions and well planned fitness improvements will come from following it.
I so wish we had bought a C2 rather than the elliptical trainer my wife and daughters out voted me for when we ditched the treadmill.

A good friend of mine who is a very keen cyclist doesn't like any of them, he can't see why people would pay good money to help you to use your own bike at home!

As I said to him, it depends on how well you can self-motivate. If you can't then having something like that to push you is good, but if you're able to push yourself then you don't really need it.

Back