• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peloton

I have a Bkool bike - I think the subscription to online stuff is £8 per month. There's also some stuff available via app if you don't want to subscribe. Mixture of spin type classes, road courses and velodrome

That is the sort of thing, however there is a full training book with much more. I lost my copy many years ago but I am sure there are nowadays many such training aids about.
The central theme is about correct form, actions and leg, core, shoulders, arm strengths, then heart rate.
I used to row regularly in the 2000's in base gyms in the Balkans with a SBS major who was very very good on it despite not being the tallest. When I got back from there my physio remarked on how enlarged my dorsal back muscles had become.
Best piece of gym kit imo, by a big margin.

That is the sort of thing, however there is a full training book with much more. I lost my copy many years ago but I am sure there are nowadays many such training aids about.
The central theme is about correct form, actions and leg, core, shoulders, arm strengths, then heart rate.
I used to row regularly in the 2000's in base gyms in the Balkans with a SBS major who was very very good on it despite not being the tallest. When I got back from there my physio remarked on how enlarged my dorsal back muscles had become.

I consider rowing machines (and versa climbers for that matter) instruments of torture. They're the only machines that have me bent double gasping for breath.

I used to work with a guy who was a member of his university rowing team. He told me that when they trained they used rowing machines in a completely different way. They had to keep the same (slow) stroke rate but go as fast as they could. The only way to go faster is to get more out of every stroke, which increases your power.

I tried it, it damn near killed me!

A good friend of mine who is a very keen cyclist doesn't like any of them, he can't see why people would pay good money to help you to use your own bike at home!

As I said to him, it depends on how well you can self-motivate. If you can't then having something like that to push you is good, but if you're able to push yourself then you don't really need it.
My wife loves spinning but hardly ever rides a bike. It's really for people like her, who want a spin class at home where it's more convenient and the same workout takes up much less time.
There's clearly a massive market for it.

I can understand keen cyclists maybe not being that bothered, but most of those who I know use them a lot during the winter and just keep the miles ticking over in front of the telly and things.

Have you got the training book with the rower? If not I recommend it, some good sessions and well planned fitness improvements will come from following it.
I so wish we had bought a C2 rather than the elliptical trainer my wife and daughters out voted me for when we ditched the treadmill.
I've not, no. I rowed a little at uni and have always enjoyed it so I think my form is reasonably good and I just follow various online and youtube sessions and programmes. We use them a lot at my gym for conditioning.

My wife loves spinning but hardly ever rides a bike. It's really for people like her, who want a spin class at home where it's more convenient and the same workout takes up much less time.
There's clearly a massive market for it.

I can understand keen cyclists maybe not being that bothered, but most of those who I know use them a lot during the winter and just keep the miles ticking over in front of the telly and things.

Indeed. There's definitely a market for these type of machines. I quite like the idea, but I'm equally at home using a cheap turbo trainer and a YouTube video by GCN. I don't really need to compete against other people...

If you could find an online link to it, I'd love to take a look. I have the rower, but don't use it anywhere near enough - probably mainly cos lack of variety

2000m in sub 7 mins. And how far you can get in 30m. 8000m plus .. those were the targets when I did C2
dread to think what it would be now..

Total outlay for our bike, rowing machine and treadmill was less than half the cost of one Peloton bike. The newly touted Peloton Tread(mill) is even more expensive than their bike - but no doubt some people will see it as a ‘must have‘ item.

Back