• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Penalty Appeal?

Barnabas

What did people think of the possible penalty, when Mark Gower dribbled into the box, then had his leg caught by the Wrexham defender? In real time, it looked like a  few we have seen given over the years, and the replay shown on the big screen did show some contact. Has anyonwe watched it over on video? Did the commentary team think it should have been a pen? If that had been given, and we had scored, would we not be praising Gower for the move which led to the pen?

I know we are disappointed by the result, but come on, people, we have come second in a competition involving 60 clubs, 24 of them in the division higher than us, for two seasons in a row. That has got to count for something. I am proud of what the lads have done for us this season, it's been pretty encouraging ever since Tilly and Brush took over, so whilst I can understand disappointment, I think slagging some of the players off for not winning it this year is a shame.

I only hope the moans have not knocked players' confidence for the rest of the season. Let's face it, a lot of people on Shimperzone have been saying they would settle for second in the LDV, coupled with promotion. Well, we got the first, so let's hope that negative comments about a few of the payers do not damage our chances of achieving the latter.

Good day out, shame about the result, shame that Wrexham had a keeper who made a few terrific saves.

And roll on promotion, starting with a win against Orient on Friday.

Didn't look like a penalty to me on the big screen replays, looked like Gower tripped over his own feet covered in sh*te white boots.

Having seen brief highlights, certainly seen them given but it would have been softish (or what's known as a definite penalty at Old Trafford).

Def. would have been given in the Premier$hite to any player wearing normal coloured football boots. But this was the LDV vans, and he was wearing white boots so of course he was never gonna be given it. Although had the dodgy linesman been ref then u never know!

Looked like a pen to me from seeing the brief highlights on Sky last night. Gower went down easily, but he was still fouled.

I'm going to watch the tape this evening though, see what the commentators said.

He should have had the shot though instead of trying to dribble it round the 2 players, he was clean through, one touch and a shot was all he neede to do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ April 11 2005,16:00)]He should have had the shot though instead of trying to dribble it round the 2 players, he was clean through, one touch and a shot was all he neede to do.
Having seen the highlights I can see why Gower didn't shoot first time - he was outside the box at that point and perhaps thought taking it inside was the better option. At the time I thought he was well inside the box and just needed to steer across the keeper towards the far post.

It definitely looked like a penalty to me. Unfortunately Gower tried to stay on his feet, which I think may have distracted the ref. Although he was tripped it ended up looking a bit more like he had kicked the ball too far and decided to fall over instead.

It's a shame, as I normally prefer players to stay on their feet if they can. On this occasion I think he should have just gone down straight away. Either that or shoot rather than try and run round three players.

mikcy g (aka mark gower) should be told whats what after yesterday's performance..
i wouldnt want him in the team again for a while if i was tilly
rock.gif

watched the video and it was soft but he was tripped so it is a penalty. also watched the video and there was a defo penalty in the first half for us. a wrexham player handballed it in the area and gained an advantage by it

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blues_r_best @ April 11 2005,16:00)]He should have had the shot though instead of trying to dribble it round the 2 players, he was clean through, one touch and a shot was all he neede to do.
Totally agree. His confidence seems to be rock bottom. The old Gower would have pinged it straight away. We all know how good he can be but while he's playing like this, it seems, he's using up a valuable place in the team and Guttridge looked decent when he came on and must be pleading for a start from Tilly.

I though it was a penalty and quite a few in the crowd around me looked very woried. But how close was the the disalowed goal they did not replay that on the big screen, we thought it was the ref balancing out his mistakes

That disallowed goal would never have been given (N.B. It wasn't a goal), cos of the dodgy lino, who incidently gave Wrexham that corner which cost us the game. Overall officials rating = 0-1/10

i was behind the goal and the ball never crossed the line, our keeper smothered the ball and it wasnt even on the line really.

Fair enough it was too far away for me to see as I was in the third tier right in the corner by the north stand, so I cant argue with you.

I thought your lads played well and you should do ok when you go up.

no disrespect but if we had played as we have done recently we would have won, it just wasnt our day

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ April 11 2005,21:25)]i was behind the goal and the ball never crossed the line, our keeper smothered the ball and it wasnt even on the line really.
And the ball was only close to the goal line because of Ugarte punching it! Who does he think he is? Maradona?

It was incredibly cheeky of Ugarte and we would have been absolutley livid if that separated the teams after 90 minutes!!!

Was very close. Ugarte hit the post with a header and then Flavs clawed it off the line before smothering it after the floor bound Ugarte tried to punch it.

Also not impressed by his play-acting in the box after the ball caught him in the face. Not impressed at all.

Looked dangerous though and a passionate player but I hate that side of the Spanish game.

Back