• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Penalty Charge Notice

I received a letter in the post on Saturday to inform me that I haven't paid for a PCN for "Parking adjacent to a dropped footway" on 09/10

Now, I never had a PCN played on my windscreen on this date (or any other), and so now the charge has lost the half price 28 period, and they now want £70 out of me.

Firstly, having not been able to remember that day, or check at the time if I had indeed done something wrong, and not been given that 28 day period, I am certainly not willing to (and indeed won't be) coughing up £70

If I indeed did comit an offence, I will be happy(ish) to pay £35 - has anyone had a similar instances to this?

Am I entitled to ask for some sort of eveidence, and inform them I didn't get a PCN, or will they just not care?

I think most councils keep photographic evidence which you can review on request.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll have a leg to stand on. Someone may of played silly buggers and taken the PCN off your car, but the council only have your word for that.

If your car is worth less than £35 it makes sense to burn it out somewhere, tell the council you don't own a car and refuse to pay.

If it says Penalty Charge Notice then it will be from the council. You'll get the best advice by posting on the http://www.pepipoo.com/ forums.

If you never had notice of the original fine then I'd probably appeal and explain what happened, the appeals process is very good I hear and more often than not they will side with you.

Right was this a privately operated car park or council

If it's council pay up if it's privately owned they can't do **** all

Council unfortunately.

I don't have an issue with paying if I have done wrong, it's paying double what I needed to when I didn't receive the PCN, and can't really afford to be wasting £70 that I have an issue with.

If it says Penalty Charge Notice then it will be from the council. You'll get the best advice by posting on the http://www.pepipoo.com/ forums.

If you never had notice of the original fine then I'd probably appeal and explain what happened, the appeals process is very good I hear and more often than not they will side with you.

Thanks - I'll give that a go!

I believe that all officers are required to take photographic evidence of a ticket being placed on the car from the front to include the number plate as well. Basically, if you took it to the extreme it's your word against theirs that you were actually issued with the notice in the first place. Photographic evidence has been standard for a while now since the number of people claiming they hadn't been issued with a notice rose dramatically and councils realized that legally they actually didn't have a leg to stand on with no practical evidence to show that a notice had been issued and placed on the car at a given time apart from a written record in an officers book......................................at least that's how I understand it.

I'd ask for proof of issue if I were you.

Thanks for all your advice. I have asked for evidence of issue, and of the offence, and my case has been frozen while this is investigated.

I shall update in 2-3 weeks once I hear anything.

Update as promised.

Bedford council were good enough to believe that I never had the PCN.

They supplied photos to show that it had been attached, but were willing to admit that weather or "youths" could have removed this before I had seen it, so were we willing to let me have the reduced rate for another 28 days.

In other news it would appear that I did commit the offense, all be it by about 7 inches. :facepalm:

Update as promised.

Bedford council were good enough to believe that I never had the PCN.

They supplied photos to show that it had been attached, but were willing to admit that weather or "youths" could have removed this before I had seen it, so were we willing to let me have the reduced rate for another 28 days.

In other news it would appear that I did commit the offense, all be it by about 7 inches. :facepalm:

To be fair that's very decent of them. Shame the council aint like that round here...

Back