• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Penalty Shoot Outs

Penalty Shoot Outs First

• Great Idea you should be the new Michelle Platini

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Crazy Crazy Fool Murdoch

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ulysses

Manager
Was discussing at work today whether the whole penalty shoot out debate needs to be turned on its head with in fact the penalties being taken first before the kick off begins. The winner would be the winners if deadlocked after 90mins. Does this work or is this crazy. Would certainly create attacking football from the start.

Would certainly create attacking football from the start.

Or defensive.
Remember the champs league final a few years ago when some Russian team played for penalties form the first whistle? Very boring, its a no from me.

Have to say Steveo's on the money. I'm afraid I'm out.

theo-paphitis.jpg

Or defensive.
Remember the champs league final a few years ago when some Russian team played for penalties form the first whistle? Very boring, its a no from me.

And from me, it's bad enough teams playing for penalties as it is, without making the game even more sterile by deciding the result before it starts.

Was discussing at work today whether the whole penalty shoot out debate needs to be turned on its head with in fact the penalties being taken first before the kick off begins. The winner would be the winners if deadlocked after 90mins. Does this work or is this crazy. Would certainly create attacking football from the start.

No thanks.

There is a case to say it would create attacking football from the start, but then there is a case to say it would also create defensive football from the start.

John McCruick was going on about something similar on Soccer AM yesterday (1 point for a draw but the teams would have a shoot-out for a second point so the loser would come away with 1 point but the winner would get 2).

Personally I think it's rubbish. The reason they raised it to 3 points for a win was to stop teams 'playing for a draw' and this idea would be a step backwards as team who had nothing to offer in attack would just play for a draw and practice penalties loads.

John McCruick was going on about something similar on Soccer AM yesterday (1 point for a draw but the teams would have a shoot-out for a second point so the loser would come away with 1 point but the winner would get 2).

Personally I think it's rubbish. The reason they raised it to 3 points for a win was to stop teams 'playing for a draw' and this idea would be a step backwards as team who had nothing to offer in attack would just play for a draw and practice penalties loads.

3 points for a win and a point per goal regardless if you win or lose, that would make more attacking football, especially in the second half when the result is beyond doubt

Or defensive.
Remember the champs league final a few years ago when some Russian team played for penalties form the first whistle?

Seeing as no Russian side has ever reached the Champions League Final, no, I don't.

Back