• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We were talking about this on the way home last night 'cerbera' and came to the conclusion that you are about spot on.

We remembered Dean Austin missing one and then a whole host of others had a go and missed, as well.

Can't quite date it exactly, but it was under Webby, as you thought.

It was 90/91. Dean Austin missed the first of seven, before a host of others missed before Dean Austin scored the eighth.

We were talking about this on the way home last night 'cerbera' and came to the conclusion that you are about spot on.

We remembered Dean Austin missing one and then a whole host of others had a go and missed, as well.

Dave Martin missed 3 on the trot starting April 1991 , followed by misses by Ooh Bretty Angel , Tilly , Andy Sussex + Dean Austin on 28/9/91

Its funny , i saw all of them and i could have sworn we missed about 10 on the trot !!!!

AndyT said:

I think Austin was the last one to miss, but by that stage they'd just decided to go with the same person regardless, and he then scored the next one. I remember Tilly missing one at home towards the start of the run (Bristol Rovers?), and IIRC we missed 2 in the same game at home (Charlton). Not sure if the double miss by Dave Martin at home to Tranmere on a Friday night was included in that sequence

I think Austin was the last one to miss, but by that stage they'd just decided to go with the same person regardless, and he then scored the next one. I remember Tilly missing one at home towards the start of the run (Bristol Rovers?), and IIRC we missed 2 in the same game at home (Charlton). Not sure if the double miss by Dave Martin at home to Tranmere on a Friday night was included in that sequence

Dave Martin missed the last one before Austin scored IIRC.

I really don't understand how so many penalties can be missed. It is a very simple discipline, I was not a great player when I played and I never missed a penalty in a game. You can take your own time and the ball is stationary, everybody should be able to convert 9/10 IMO. Penalty will pretty much always be pressure situations but you have time to compose yourself and concentrate on the task at hand, it's not a one on one situation where you have a second to think.
Every professional should be able to strike a dead ball clean and low with a good level of accuracy

I loved that Tranmere double miss.

Remember Eric Nixon in the Tranmere goal giving it large to the North Bank after saving the first one, only to be laughed and pointed at when it was ordered to be re-taken. :smile:

He had the last laugh, though!

Fully agree, taking a pen is not a pressure moment. I used to take pens in ye olde days of footy and never missed one. The modern day pro should easily net 9/10 !
I really don't understand how so many penalties can be missed. It is a very simple discipline, I was not a great player when I played and I never missed a penalty in a game. You can take your own time and the ball is stationary, everybody should be able to convert 9/10 IMO. Penalty will pretty much always be pressure situations but you have time to compose yourself and concentrate on the task at hand, it's not a one on one situation where you have a second to think.
Every professional should be able to strike a dead ball clean and low with a good level of accuracy

Fully agree, taking a pen is not a pressure moment. I used to take pens in ye olde days of footy and never missed one. The modern day pro should easily net 9/10 !

I wonder what the actual ratio of pens scored actually is? I bet it's worse than 9 out of 10 even at the highest levels of football.

Maybe the goalkeepers you played against were not quite international standard:smile:

I always think the keeper has an equal chance to save, as the taker to score

The keeper has three options dive left or right or stay and hope its down the middle, the same as the penalty taker

With Youtube showing a penalty takers technique this must favour the keeper when watching oppo teams

Personally the Stuart Pearce technique is my favourite, hit it hard and fast, at best its hits the net the next best option keeper gets a hand to it and it rolls out for a rebound chance

UTS

Did you use to take them with thousands of people watching ?

Taking one over Leigh Marshes against a milkman is probably a bit different :smile:

I always think the keeper has an equal chance to save, as the taker to score

The keeper has three options dive left or right or stay and hope its down the middle, the same as the penalty taker

With Youtube showing a penalty takers technique this must favour the keeper when watching oppo teams

Personally the Stuart Pearce technique is my favourite, hit it hard and fast, at best its hits the net the next best option keeper gets a hand to it and it rolls out for a rebound chance

UTS

Italia 90 disagrees !

As for the keeper, no its harder to save one than score one. He has to react after the ball has been hit (or get lucky), the ball doesnt just go left or right, it can be bottom corner, top corner or anywhere in between.

The odds of scoring are well in favour of the striker, or it wouldnt be a justified punishment against the defending team. Which makes the fact we cant score them even more frustrating!

Years and years ago as a teenager I changed Sunday League teams during the summer and was made captain of my new team. Very early on in the season we were given a penalty, and 4 of the biggest prima donnas you can imagine were fighting over the ball. All of them looked at me to make a decision. I did, and annoyed all four of them.

I told our goalkeeper to come up and take the penalty and told all four of them to stand in the goal just in case he missed. He didn't miss. Not long after it became a well rehearsed routine. As soon as the penalty was awarded our 'keeper came up, and all four of them went back.

We didn't miss a penalty all season and (because we were probably the worst team ever) our 'keeper ended the season as our top scorer.

The point of this? There isn't one, I just wanted to tell you all a story!

I wonder what the actual ratio of pens scored actually is? I bet it's worse than 9 out of 10 even at the highest levels of football.

Maybe the goalkeepers you played against were not quite international standard:smile:
I read somewhere it's around 75% - it's certainly not as high as 9/10.

Their penalty wasn't taken any better than ours, in truth. If the Ox had gone the right way, he'd have saved it comfortably.

Back