• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Century United

Firewalking for HD
Letter in Monday's Times I though worthy of wider circulation:

Sir, Instead of throwing coins back into the crowd (report Nov 14), today's footballers should be thankful that decimalisation has reduced the size of the average missive (sic).

In the 1950's, as an 11 year old, I was employed by Southend United to trawl around the pitch perimeter at half time holding one corner of a large sack while crying out "penny for the band" for the local Salvationers who played at half time.

My pain threshold was tested weekly as bored sections of the crowd aimed those big old pennies at the sack draggers rather than the sack itself. In damp weather conditions I still feel the odd twinge.

VICTOR LEWIS
London N6

Nice story. Just one quibble, surely the band was the supporters club's, and not the Sally Army's?

Back