• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Javea Shrimper

Reading through the Shrimpers' Trust liaison meeting notes, I have come to the conclusion that Geoffrey King somewhat misses the point about persistent standing in the North Stand.

Despite the Trust representative informing him that "our experience at away matches was that stewards kept a very tight leash on standing", King appears to dismiss the issue by claiming that "it was very difficult getting away fans to sit in the North Stand".

I'm sorry but that's absolute crap!

It is extremely simple to get away fans to sit in the North Stand. You do what virtually every other club with an all-seater stadium does; threaten those who won't sit down with expulsion. And remove those who still refuse to do so. It's extremely simple. Consider stadiums like St. Mary's in Southampton where those fans (home AND away) "guilty" of persistent standing are immediately removed from the stadium. No questions. Following the Shrimpers, we've seen the same thing at places like Kenilworth Road, Nene Park, and Hull City.

I don't necessarily condone much of what the 'F Block' gets up to but their (and the Trust's) complaint about lack of consistency in dealing with the standing issue is something that King seems to dismiss rather too blase for my liking. In this case, blaming the FLA is too easy. There has been far more obvious persistent standing at grounds in the Premiersh*te (where whole sections of the ground stand for lengthy periods of time) and I'm sure the FLA would make more of a statement by shutting Anfield's Kop Stand or the North Stand at Old Trafford than they would by shutting the West Stand at Roots Hall. Or would they really be that daft?

WS

Completely agree there Mike. Just sounds like that he's avoiding the issue instead of dealing with it.

The other thing i noticed (apart from the bit about FF) is that the club didn't seem too happy with Nigel's comment in the Trust newsletter, which a fair few of us picked up on. Having said that, lets hope they concentrate on more important issues rather than Nigel's use of the 'fradulent' ...

Kev

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Dec. 09 2004,21:39)]'fradulent'
Was that meant to be fraudulent of flatulent?

biggrin.gif

I can't believe that thing about persistent standing. I know, I know, some people don't want to stand and get restricted view and all the safety concerns but standing is the best way to watch football.

Still, if this is banned, it's banned. If we're going to take double standards, why be at the expense of our own fans. You can bet away fans don't appreciate it either.

One option, of course, is to score about 10 goals every game with loads of chances. That way, you're stood up most of the time anyway. Let's get those massive goals they were going to use in MLS!!

You know i will back you on this Jávea as i was banned for complaining to Clive (Wannabe Copper) The Steward. About Away fans always being allowed to stand, i guess i should not have called him a **** but it just makes my blood boil how you see 10,000 home fans in the prem standing at every home game and we have 30-50 and we get banning orders and threatened with the closure of part of roots hall.

If hanging was an option i am sure those in the f-block would be threatened with that if they did not sit down.

mad.gif
If we sit down everyone should sit down, Except the players and match officials of course
biggrin.gif

Bruce Shrimpsteen

Born to Shrimp

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Dec. 10 2004,00:17)]You know i will back you on this Jávea as i was banned for complaining to Clive (Wannabe Copper) The Steward. About Away fans always being allowed to stand, i guess i should not have called him a **** but it just makes my blood boil how you see 10,000 home fans in the prem standing at every home game and we have 30-50 and we get banning orders and threatened with the closure of part of roots hall.

If hanging was an option i am sure those in the f-block would be threatened with that if they did not sit down.

mad.gif
If we sit down everyone should sit down, Except the players and match officials of course
biggrin.gif

Bruce Shrimpsteen

Born to Shrimp
I wondered why a loyal southend fan and recognised face got thrown out of a game from the F block a month/6weeks or so ago. I presume that was you? I wondered what had happened I must say.

Back