• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Do you have to do the statements in such long winded ways? As a prospective employer when I see CV's I like to see a personal statement given in a few bullet points, and not a long drawn out statement that I may not read unless it grips me in the first few lines.

I realise that applying to Uni is different than applying for a job, but not that much.

Good luck to those applying and hope you are successful.

Basically all Uni's strongly advice you use as many of the 4,000 characters allowed to 'sell yourself', i have wrote my CV as well and it is alot more to the point and not to 'flower' as it were.

Basically all Uni's strongly advice you use as many of the 4,000 characters allowed to 'sell yourself', i have wrote my CV as well and it is alot more to the point and not to 'flower' as it were.

Ok, you've done the right thing with your CV IMO, and it shouldn't really be more than two pages.

To my mind it's odd that you area advised to use 4000 characters, I'm not being funny but if I had to wade through 100's of similar applications I may suddenly lose the will to live.

Ok, you've done the right thing with your CV IMO, and it shouldn't really be more than two pages.

To my mind it's odd that you area advised to use 4000 characters, I'm not being funny but if I had to wade through 100's of similar applications I may suddenly lose the will to live.

In which case, as we all know, it's about an eye catching first paragraph.

My personal statement was just 3 paragraphs highlighting my background, strengths and why they should accept me... Got me into all of my 6 choices, so I must've done something right.

Could've been the tenner and naked photo staped to it, mind...

Make sure you blag how you'll contribute to the uni, we love students who will be keen and get involved... Join clubs and socities.

Also (as with any interview, cv, covering letter) make sure you back every statement up with examples. We want proof that you're a teamworker, not just waffle

My personal statement was just 3 paragraphs highlighting my background, strengths and why they should accept me... Got me into all of my 6 choices, so I must've done something right.

Could've been the tenner and naked photo staped to it, mind...

Not one of you then ;)

Have you thought of getting a friend to video yourself rapping your personal statement?

You could then send the university a YouTube link which would demonstrate that your mastery of modern technology and that you still have love for the street.

I have done the same with my CV and once the credit cruch releases it's grip on glabal finance I expect the offers to flood in.

On a more serious note I work as a developer in the financial services sector.

If you are serious about a development career I would strongly advise you to study mathematics rather than a more vocational computing degree. Employers in almost every sector will pick maths/physics/engineering graduates ahead of computer science graduates. If you can already program you don't need a lecture course to learn C++.

BTW - the games industry is competitive, relatively poorly paid and development companies go bust all of the time probably fun while you are young but you might want to bear that in mind.

Last edited:
We are all influenced, educated, entertained and informed through media products; and this is what excites me about the prospect of continuing my studies at degree level, as it will enable me to empower the audience to see things from different perspectives. By studying a BA Media Communication course it would equip me with the necessary skills for a diverse range of career options, not only within the media industry but in other professions.

Throughout my GCSE and A level media studies my teacher’s passion for his subject has inspired and motivated me to aspire to a career in media. I have learnt many valuable practical skills and theoretical knowledge that would assist me in my undergraduate studies.

In my four years of media studies I have reached a standard that has enabled me to achieve distinctions, using Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe audition working on the post-production of many short films, adverts and radio shows. Furthermore, I have used production equipment including; Video cameras (Canon XL1), handheld video cameras (Panasonic) and audio recording equipment. I have also learnt media professional practices’ such as; risk assessments, equipment forms, auditioning cast and directing films. The academic side to media studies included portfolios on newspapers, history and development of film, television, radio and specific genres, this has given me an in depth understanding of the media industry. Using this knowledge and the advice I have gained from being in contact with NME (New Musical Express) Journalist ‘James McMahon,’ has helped my contribution in a team environment to set up my Sixth Form’s first newspaper, ‘The Liber-teen’. The first issue is due to be released early next year; I am currently writing music reviews for bands from the local area, whilst also taking to role of co-editor.

English Language has developed and enhanced my analytical and writing skills through studying a variety of language used in everyday life. I now have a better understanding of interactions, both verbal and non-verbal through using the language frameworks. Lexical field has made me aware of how I and others communicate with different audiences; this has improved my ability to interact with audiences through the different products of media and performing arts.

In my last year of high school I was a senior prefect, which put me in control of a team of prefects. This has helped my communication skills, confidence and ability to address a large audience.

Away from my academic studies, I have a strong passion for sport and music and have recently returned from a tour of Denmark with my football academy (PFA- Professional Football Academy) which has given a great life experience. Captaining my schools football team has again improved my communication and leadership skills. Apart from football, I have a commitment to charity work. In February I ran a Sponsored half marathon in aid of Great Ormond Street. Furthermore, I have participated in the Duke of Edinburgh's award and have achieved awards at both bronze and silver and currently taking part in gold.

Through my GCSE and A levels studies of Media I have gained knowledge of a man called ‘Rupert Murdoch.’ This man, in my opinion, is one of the most powerful men on the planet. He uses media to influence many people, his company ‘News Corporation,’ started as just a single newspaper in Adelaide but has expanded into a nationwide corporation which reminds me of the motto ‘Who dares-wins’ which is taken from the S.A.S. and has also been quoted in many episodes of BBC’s ‘Only Fools and Horses.’ This is a motto I live by.

I am looking forward to university life where my enthusiasm for learning and social interaction will only flourish further.

It's not bad chap, but I would have liked more swearing in it and perhaps a mild threat or two
(i.e. if you don't give me what I want, I'll kill your pets/ carve you a new anus/ violently assault you repeatedly.)

Also make sure that enclose part of a finger with the note so that they know you're not joking.

The video idea previously mentioned is a good one, but I recommend you film yourself ranting and posing with guns, just to back up your statement about the SAS.

Hope this helps

Kind Regards

Back