• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

chapperzUK

I am looking to do a course in Computer Games Programming and need some help with my personal statement. Here it is at the moment :

Everyone wants to have the latest technology. Technology has evolved so much and it can be found everywhere you look, and there is nothing better than being on the forefront of a highly competitive market that is continually making strides towards the future of computer technology. I have a passionate interest in computing and I enjoy programming in my spare time. I am interested in the latest pioneering developments of technology and the wide range of ways in which they are used, from personal computers to life saving devices that are used in hospitals. I am fascinated with the computer games industry and the programming side of the computer games. I keep up to date with the latest programming news as I am a member of several technology and programming forums.

I have chosen to study Mathematics, Computing and Accounting for my A levels and I have also completed a Business AS course. I enjoy working with numbers and solving problems and algorithms in maths, this helps when it comes to solving computing problems and creating computer programs. I enjoy creating programs in computing because I find it challenging and I taking on a challenge. I have previous work experience, I worked for CJ Gardeners, a local accounting firm, and some of my tasks included, answering the telephone, talking to clients, entering information into tax forms and into different structures of database. I believe that I have the skills to be able to work in either a team or as an individual because during my work experience I mainly worked on my own, but I also have to work in a team.

At the weekends, I enjoy playing football for a local team, how the team can only work together when each unit links and communicates with each other and, as a result, I have developed my communication skills. I have been able to play football at least twice a week and still keep up to date with my academic studies which has required me to have good time management and good self discipline.

I have previous experience of and I am familiar with the programming language and the interface of Visual Basic .NET and C# programs and I am keen to expand my knowledge of the different programming languages and I am also interested and excited about learning the C++ programming language.

A major part of my life is my Christian faith which has taught me how to be supportive of others, and I have also learnt commitment in keeping my faith when other people have stopped. I wouldn't say I was a leader but I tend to find that my qualities enable me to have a supportive role, although I can also quietly take the lead when required and I have proved to be faithful and trustworthy. I have also encouraged people, whether in work, their faith or in ill-health.

The experience I have had from computer programming has enhanced my desire to learn more about this subject and to further my knowledge and understanding of computers.

Thanks in advance :)

I just finished mine, i would have a look at the sentance structure and commas and that.
Also maybe start it with a quote that inspires you or a really strong opening sentance to grip the reader.

I just finished mine, i would have a look at the sentance structure and commas and that.
Also maybe start it with a quote that inspires you or a really strong opening sentance to grip the reader.

Thanks. I have been getting some help from my sister (who is at Liverpool uni doing Vet Science), have you had any help?

I'm looking at Leicester, Derby, Huddersfield, Staffordshire and De Montfort.

Where are you applying?

We are all influenced, educated, entertained and informed through media products; and this is what excites me about the prospect of continuing my studies at degree level, as it will enable me to empower the audience to see things from different perspectives. By studying a BA Media Communication course it would equip me with the necessary skills for a diverse range of career options, not only within the media industry but in other professions.

Throughout my GCSE and A level media studies my teacher’s passion for his subject has inspired and motivated me to aspire to a career in media. I have learnt many valuable practical skills and theoretical knowledge that would assist me in my undergraduate studies.

In my four years of media studies I have reached a standard that has enabled me to achieve distinctions, using Adobe Premier Pro and Adobe audition working on the post-production of many short films, adverts and radio shows. Furthermore, I have used production equipment including; Video cameras (Canon XL1), handheld video cameras (Panasonic) and audio recording equipment. I have also learnt media professional practices’ such as; risk assessments, equipment forms, auditioning cast and directing films. The academic side to media studies included portfolios on newspapers, history and development of film, television, radio and specific genres, this has given me an in depth understanding of the media industry. Using this knowledge and the advice I have gained from being in contact with NME (New Musical Express) Journalist ‘James McMahon,’ has helped my contribution in a team environment to set up my Sixth Form’s first newspaper, ‘The Liber-teen’. The first issue is due to be released early next year; I am currently writing music reviews for bands from the local area, whilst also taking to role of co-editor.

English Language has developed and enhanced my analytical and writing skills through studying a variety of language used in everyday life. I now have a better understanding of interactions, both verbal and non-verbal through using the language frameworks. Lexical field has made me aware of how I and others communicate with different audiences; this has improved my ability to interact with audiences through the different products of media and performing arts.

In my last year of high school I was a senior prefect, which put me in control of a team of prefects. This has helped my communication skills, confidence and ability to address a large audience.

Away from my academic studies, I have a strong passion for sport and music and have recently returned from a tour of Denmark with my football academy (PFA- Professional Football Academy) which has given a great life experience. Captaining my schools football team has again improved my communication and leadership skills. Apart from football, I have a commitment to charity work. In February I ran a Sponsored half marathon in aid of Great Ormond Street. Furthermore, I have participated in the Duke of Edinburgh's award and have achieved awards at both bronze and silver and currently taking part in gold.

Through my GCSE and A levels studies of Media I have gained knowledge of a man called ‘Rupert Murdoch.’ This man, in my opinion, is one of the most powerful men on the planet. He uses media to influence many people, his company ‘News Corporation,’ started as just a single newspaper in Adelaide but has expanded into a nationwide corporation which reminds me of the motto ‘Who dares-wins’ which is taken from the S.A.S. and has also been quoted in many episodes of BBC’s ‘Only Fools and Horses.’ This is a motto I live by.

I am looking forward to university life where my enthusiasm for learning and social interaction will only flourish further.

I have done the same but I don't think that they have done my references which is something I will have to check.

Just find someone else who is doing the same subject as you and look at their personal statement as a template, pretty easy!

That one's 5 years old! I really don't see the point of these, is it just to try and sell yourself? Surely anyone with an ounce of common can distinguish the difference between someone who wants to do something for the right reasons and someone who doesn't? I thought that's what those in that kind of position are trained for!

Thanks, looking at that at the moment.

The reason for a personal statement is to sell yourself to the uni, say what interests you have, why they should accept you etc.

But why give it that name? Surely this should be dealt with in a covering letter? Probably yet another American idea that has come over.

It's basically your only chance to let the uni know a little bit about yourself and the reasons they should take you, as unless you get an invite to interview they won't no you until you go there.

It's basically your only chance to let the uni know a little bit about yourself and the reasons they should take you, as unless you get an invite to interview they won't no you until you go there.

Do you have to do the statements in such long winded ways? As a prospective employer when I see CV's I like to see a personal statement given in a few bullet points, and not a long drawn out statement that I may not read unless it grips me in the first few lines.

I realise that applying to Uni is different than applying for a job, but not that much.

Good luck to those applying and hope you are successful.

Back