• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Perspective and is it all worth it!

Hawkwell Blue

Manager
It's 50 years this year since my first Southend game and in those years I have seen some amazing games and some awful games. Unfortunately social media means that when we lose everybody should get sacked and when we we win we're off to the Champions League.

Well, how about this for some perspective. Being a bit bored tonight I decided to add up all the league games that the Blues have played starting the season after I was born. Including the great win at Bradford this is 2,604 games. Believe it or not, and there have been 653 draws, Southend United have won just one more game than they have lost over those 56 years. And scored just 16 more goals than they've conceded. 976 wins, 975 defeats.

So basically what's the point!

Right, anorak away, see you Saturday and Up the Blues!

Would be interesting to see the same stats for the other 18/19 L1 teams.

Put your anorak back on :Thumbs up::Smile:

Including the great win at Bradford this is 2,604 games. Believe it or not, and there have been 653 draws, Southend United have won just one more game than they have lost over those 56 years. And scored just 16 more goals than they've conceded. 976 wins, 975 defeats.

I reckon that win ratio puts us just outside the playoffs. Our goal difference is pretty good though, which will come in handy during the Armageddon.

I reckon that win ratio puts us just outside the playoffs. Our goal difference is pretty good though, which will come in handy during the Armageddon.

if only we hadn't of sat back in those 500 games. We should have walked this league.

So basically what's the point!!

Do think to deeply otherwise what's the point of doing any hobby/sport.

There's only 3 things you should never try. Supporting Col U (obviously), incest and Morris dancing......The worrying thing is some people in North Essex enjoy all 3.

It's 50 years this year since my first Southend game and in those years I have seen some amazing games and some awful games. Unfortunately social media means that when we lose everybody should get sacked and when we we win we're off to the Champions League.

Well, how about this for some perspective. Being a bit bored tonight I decided to add up all the league games that the Blues have played starting the season after I was born. Including the great win at Bradford this is 2,604 games. Believe it or not, and there have been 653 draws, Southend United have won just one more game than they have lost over those 56 years. And scored just 16 more goals than they've conceded. 976 wins, 975 defeats.

Please don't tell the wife.... if she finds out what it's cost for 1 win and 16 goals

the Echo has an article about CP's first 50 games. Now without looking at the stats cos that's cheating, where would you place him in the all time record of managers for % wins.

Amazing stay. So when CP took over, were you more losses than wins?

When I originally posted this we had just beaten Bradford 4-0 away. We then didn't win for 15 games so thought I had jinxed it. Oh well, it had a happy ending.

Incidentally in my lifetime we have now lost seven more games than we have won, but there is only one goal between the 6,925, 3,462 for and 3,463 against.

Now, where did I put that life. :Clap:

Who really cares about stats? They get in the way of what we know to be true. We are the Mighty Shrimpers and we can beat any team in the world. Roots Hall is fortress and every player ever born has wanted to sign for us. I may let reality pass me by but it makes it easier to be a Blues fan.

Back