• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ok, I might get shot down for this, and fair enough as we are all entitled to our opinions, but some of the negativity and comments on here in recents week has driven me up the wall.

Firstly, there are 10 games to go and we are in 7th place. I think the majority of us would have taken that at the start of the season. We are 10 points off of 3rd now, and that is disappointing considering where we were. However, let us take a look at this miserable run (after Hull City):

Daggers (A) 1-1 Draw - I never particularly have a problem with a draw away from home, and this was against a Daggers team on fire, who were taking points off of a lot of our rivals at that time at home and away. Verdict - A good result
Newport (H) 0-0 Draw - Average - bad conditions didn't help
Mansfield (A) 2-1 Loss - This was a very frustrating game. We didn't play well. The conditions were awful and we let in a couple of soft goals. Verdict - Frustrating day at the office.
Exeter (H) 3-2 Loss - A bit of a nightmare all round really. Verdict - Cr*p
Hartlepool (H) 1-1 Draw - We battered them. I will never know how we didn't win this game. Verdict - Very unlucky.
York (A) 0-0 Draw - Didn't we play ok here?
Northampton (A) 2-1 Loss - We were terrible. One of the worst away performances I've seen in a long time. Verdict - write it off, it happens. Just ask Man City and Wigan.
Wycombe (H) 1-1 Draw - A hugely unlucky equaliser for them. Verdict - Unlucky
Morcambe (A) 2-1 Loss
Scunthorpe (A) 2-2 Draw - A real game of 2 halves, but a great fight back, against a good side. Verdict - A point is a decent result.

Ok, so it's 9 games without a win, but we've only been beaten in 4 of those.
Could easily have been 2 home win from Hartlepool and Wycombe. That changes it to P9 W2 D3 L4 Pts 9
Ok, still not ideal, but taking into account 2 good away points, it could easily have been a lot better.

I didn't go last night, but from what I've heard our supporters embarrassed yourselves in the first half - do you think this is helping the players?

There has been so much talk of players losing it, no effort, don't care - what a load on rubbish that is?!

Yes, we have a small squad in areas, but we aren't Chelsea, we can't afford to have 50 players on our books. We are short in defence, and we've unfortunately had injuries there, but PB has brought in 4 quality looking players on loan, and been so unlucky with 2 getting injured on debut. Not his fault. We are short up top, and he brought Barnard in. OK, he hasn't set the world alight since coming back, but we were all very moist when he signed, and didn't expect this to happen.

There has also been talk of PB getting the sack - are you people serious? Do you really think that Bentley/Hurst/Leonard would have signed long contract without PB there? As a club we have lost players by not acting quickly enough in the past, something we have all moaned about. I've no doubt PB has been instrumental in getting the club to sort these out. Hardly the sign of a man constantly looking for a new job is it?

We've got 10 games left (nearly 1/4 of a season), and we still play 4 of those above us. It is still in our hands as to what happens, and we could still enter the playoffs in great form, but US as fans need to stop moaning, stop talking rubbish, and support the lads that play each week.

This isn't a great league, we all know that, which is why nobody has run away with promotion, there is still so much to play for.

Rant over.

UTB :loyalsupporter:

I agree with the general theme of your post. We need to get behind the lads and we have been desperately unlucky with injuries, especially in defensive areas.

However, pre-Hull we were in a great position and then had a run of about 5 or 6 very winnable games where I was really hoping we'd go on a bit of a winning run and get into the top 3. Looking at the fixtures towards the end of the season we've got a lot of games against the top sides. If we'd have been heading into these fixtures in the top 3 then even if we went on a poor run we'd still have a good chance of making the playoffs. As it is we're desperately holding on to 7th knowing Plymouth have a game in hand, Newport have 2, etc and we have much tougher run in than both.

So surely you've got to understand the disappointment and frustration on the board?

Really good post Shrimper and I agree entirely with everything you are saying. It is, however, a sad state of affairs on here that those who moan will simply ignore everything and every fact you have posted. To do otherwise would mean that they would never post anything as moaning is a way of life for them I'm afraid. It will probably get worse now that Freddie has got good press after last night and may well start the next match. Unfortunately, that's web democracy for you.

Sorry , I can't say anything positive towards a post entitled 'Perspective and Reality'.
That type of rational thought process will NEVER catch on.
This is Shrimperzone ,where 'irrational rants' are the given norm.
This really is too much !

I agree with the general theme of your post. We need to get behind the lads and we have been desperately unlucky with injuries, especially in defensive areas.

However, pre-Hull we were in a great position and then had a run of about 5 or 6 very winnable games where I was really hoping we'd go on a bit of a winning run and get into the top 3. Looking at the fixtures towards the end of the season we've got a lot of games against the top sides. If we'd have been heading into these fixtures in the top 3 then even if we went on a poor run we'd still have a good chance of making the playoffs. As it is we're desperately holding on to 7th knowing Plymouth have a game in hand, Newport have 2, etc and we have much tougher run in than both.

So surely you've got to understand the disappointment and frustration on the board?

Of course I do. As I said, the run has been far from ideal with the winnable games that it seemingly contained, and I'm just as frustrated as anyone, as I felt we were going to get in the top 3.

However, it's the comments that follow with the frustration that get me. The abuse towards players. The talk of PB getting sacked. Some of the talk about Eastood and Barnard have actually been awful.

As fans, we can play a huge part in turning around a bad run, and we're not doing that at the moment.

The point is that despite the good result last night and your analysis, the facts dont lie. We have lost to some very poor sides on awful runs yet because of one good second half fight back some on here are expecting or hoping that things will now suddenly change on the pitch. The true test is on Saturday and if we are to believe that the team are now more confident and really want to push on with the promotion race then the performance and result on Saturday are vital, especially with Oxford our next home game. The frustrating thing for me is where was the fight in the games against Exeter, Mansfield, Morecombe and Northampton. Yes last night was great, but if we had replicated that against the poorer sides surely we wouldnt even be having this discussion and this is what has frustrated so many on here.

Teams that do well produce week after week, not always getting the right result but generally the performances are good. We have struggled apart from maybe last night second half and in the games against Hartlepool and Wycombe, when i agree we were very unfortunate.

The most intresting thing also, is that despite our poor run we still have a slim chance of achieving something this season. This is because the teams around us, with the possible exception of Plymouth and York have also had dodgy spells. If im right that was scunthorpes 9th draw in 11 games. So any decent run from here in could still end on a positive note and i would rather enter the play offs on a good run than a bad one.

The simple reality is we haven't won in 9 games, supporters aren't going to sit there and feel happy about it, they will moan, that's normal and part of being a supporter wanting to win games.

You can dress it up in rose tinted, or doom ridden glasses explanations or however you like, but the stark reality is we are right at the wrong end of the form table and we need to get 3 points from at least 6 of the next 10 games. Its fine saying we were unlucky in X Y or Z game or if we had wont this or that things would be different, but they arent.

We need to go from winning none in 9 to 6 out of ten, lets hope after yesterdays comeback win number once comes on Saturday. Get a couple of back to back wins and fans will then start to feel more optimistic.

As fans, we can play a huge part in turning around a bad run, and we're not doing that at the moment.

Sadly I don't get to games anymore, and can't tell if the abuse is happening during the match - if it is then I agree 100%.

I don't think i have ever booed a Southend player at a match - not even Richie Foran or Derek Payne (2 of my least favourite) - however, if the 'abuse' or differing opinions (maybe) is happening on a discussion board then I have no issue with it at all.

It would be so boring if we all had the same opinions.

In what way did we embarrass ourselves. We travelled all the way up there on a Tuesday night on a dismal run expecting a tonking. How is that embarrassing.

As usual I agree with S2TC's post, and I do think we ought to bear in mind that we generally do fare worse against lower teams and always come away wondering why and how we didn't beat a team that played so badly. It's not new, it happens almost every year. Chuck in the atrocious conditions we've had to endure weather-wise and I don't think it should be any great surprise that we've been off the boil recently.

Our slice of luck is long overdue, nothing has bounced our way, 50/50 balls and decisions have generally gone against us, and deflections always fall to the opposition. Hopefully the worm has turned and the glorious Spring sunshine will help encourage our boys on to better, starting this weekend.

Back the team? Why not - I can hardly speak today following last night's game but ..........

We were woeful against Mansfield (in appalling conditions it has to be said),
the Exeter game was not good at all,
I wasn't at Northamption but I understand we were very, very poor and
we were absolutely dire for 60 minutes at Morecambe

And the game at York was poor as well ....... so that's 40 to 50% of the 10 games where the team did not perform.

That's not good enough for a team looking to be in the top part of the table come May. 45 minutes of euphoria last night doesn't balance the scales at all.

The reality is also that Plymouth are below us on goal difference only, and have a game in hand. We could easily find ourselves outside of the playoffs soon.

That said, I think Plymouth will finish in the playoffs, but not at our expense. The interesting thing about last night is that all the teams ahead of us drew with the exception of Rochdale, who lost. We didn't actually lose any ground on them, and gained two points on Rochdale.

Really good post Shrimper and I agree entirely with everything you are saying. It is, however, a sad state of affairs on here that those who moan will simply ignore everything and every fact you have posted. To do otherwise would mean that they would never post anything as moaning is a way of life for them I'm afraid. It will probably get worse now that Freddie has got good press after last night and may well start the next match. Unfortunately, that's web democracy for you.

Why is 'web democracy' unfortunate, do you expect people only to agree with your opinion?

If there was no such thing as web democracy you would not have been able to voice your opinion either!

Why is 'web democracy' unfortunate, do you expect people only to agree with your opinion?

If there was no such thing as web democracy you would not have been able to voice your opinion either!

Certainly don't. But Web democracy also means that I can find it unfortunate when people continually post downbeat stuff.

In what way did we embarrass ourselves. We travelled all the way up there on a Tuesday night on a dismal run expecting a tonking. How is that embarrassing.

In answer to your question, we didn't embarrass ourselves, nor I suspect did you .
Before kick off 1 person was shouting obscenities and abuse at our players, calling on them to grow some balls and making full use of a descriptive term for female genitalia. This then got some fair request for refrain which was responded to with insults and such unpleasantry. Followed by more after the Scunny goal on 3 minutes. Then after by a scuffle when same supporter was grappled by another fellow, resulting in stewards intervention. Then after goal 2 the potty mouth chap who had gone quiet after the scuffle appeared to leave the ground before half time to a few not well meant goodbyes. I am surprised that you did not see or hear all of that as it did put a damper on many of the Blues fans which only lifted with a few songs etc just about the same time as the party to the incidents left.
Finally well done for making the trip. Ended well didn't it!:smile:

Ok, I might get shot down for this, and fair enough as we are all entitled to our opinions, but some of the negativity and comments on here in recents week has driven me up the wall.

Firstly, there are 10 games to go and we are in 7th place. I think the majority of us would have taken that at the start of the season. We are 10 points off of 3rd now, and that is disappointing considering where we were. However, let us take a look at this miserable run (after Hull City):

Daggers (A) 1-1 Draw - I never particularly have a problem with a draw away from home, and this was against a Daggers team on fire, who were taking points off of a lot of our rivals at that time at home and away. Verdict - A good result
Newport (H) 0-0 Draw - Average - bad conditions didn't help
Mansfield (A) 2-1 Loss - This was a very frustrating game. We didn't play well. The conditions were awful and we let in a couple of soft goals. Verdict - Frustrating day at the office.
Exeter (H) 3-2 Loss - A bit of a nightmare all round really. Verdict - Cr*p
Hartlepool (H) 1-1 Draw - We battered them. I will never know how we didn't win this game. Verdict - Very unlucky.
York (A) 0-0 Draw - Didn't we play ok here?
Northampton (A) 2-1 Loss - We were terrible. One of the worst away performances I've seen in a long time. Verdict - write it off, it happens. Just ask Man City and Wigan.
Wycombe (H) 1-1 Draw - A hugely unlucky equaliser for them. Verdict - Unlucky
Morcambe (A) 2-1 Loss
Scunthorpe (A) 2-2 Draw - A real game of 2 halves, but a great fight back, against a good side. Verdict - A point is a decent result.

Ok, so it's 9 games without a win, but we've only been beaten in 4 of those.
Could easily have been 2 home win from Hartlepool and Wycombe. That changes it to P9 W2 D3 L4 Pts 9
Ok, still not ideal, but taking into account 2 good away points, it could easily have been a lot better.

I didn't go last night, but from what I've heard our supporters embarrassed yourselves in the first half - do you think this is helping the players?

There has been so much talk of players losing it, no effort, don't care - what a load on rubbish that is?!

Yes, we have a small squad in areas, but we aren't Chelsea, we can't afford to have 50 players on our books. We are short in defence, and we've unfortunately had injuries there, but PB has brought in 4 quality looking players on loan, and been so unlucky with 2 getting injured on debut. Not his fault. We are short up top, and he brought Barnard in. OK, he hasn't set the world alight since coming back, but we were all very moist when he signed, and didn't expect this to happen.

There has also been talk of PB getting the sack - are you people serious? Do you really think that Bentley/Hurst/Leonard would have signed long contract without PB there? As a club we have lost players by not acting quickly enough in the past, something we have all moaned about. I've no doubt PB has been instrumental in getting the club to sort these out. Hardly the sign of a man constantly looking for a new job is it?

We've got 10 games left (nearly 1/4 of a season), and we still play 4 of those above us. It is still in our hands as to what happens, and we could still enter the playoffs in great form, but US as fans need to stop moaning, stop talking rubbish, and support the lads that play each week.

This isn't a great league, we all know that, which is why nobody has run away with promotion, there is still so much to play for.

Rant over.

UTB :loyalsupporter:

99% of those who made the trip up on a Tuesday night despite recent results did the team proud, those who stay away because of recent results are more of an embarassment IMO. Dont tar us all with the same brush!!

Last edited:
Yes I was right by this 1 fan embarresed himself and the guy who grappled him was actually trying to calm him down nothing else which is exactly what happened and yes he left by his own accord. But this one fan is normally the backbone of our support what was wrong I ain't got a clue but us as a collective group certainly got behind the lads even at 2-0

Back