• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Peter Butler interested in becoming Southend United's next boss

Gareth Southgate hasn't done too badly.

Brian Robson, Steve Bruce etc

Indeed a risk, but was a great player and always looked the type to make it as a manager.

Anyone that remembers him would say a blood and guts quality midfielder the type of player with the passion and attitude so clearly missing on the pitch in the last couple of seasons.Has he had any success on his travels?....Again is it someone looking for a stepping stone or someone with a connection to the club genuinely showing interest.
Would definitely have got more of a reaction than Sol from the players and been cheaper.
Worth an interview

Yes Butler would be right up my street. Tough character who knows how to win.

I always felt that PB was a player that always got the best out of himself as well as the team around him. He wasn't the best technically but he made up for that with his attitude and work-rate.

Years ago when Vic Jobson was chairman (and before Vic had left his wife and shacked up with the barmaid) I saw Peter Butler in a car as I drove past Roots Hall. Obviously I did the sensible thing and followed him. That was partly because I'm a stalker, and partly because he was going in the same direction as me.

I followed him all the way to my house! The reason is because he was visiting Vic Jobson, and we lived over the road to him. When PB got out of the car I had a shock. His knee had some serious strapping on it and he pretty much limped to Vic's front door.

Needless to say he was out injured for quite a long time after that. But what I noticed was when he came on as a sub in his first game back. Instantly the rest of the team upped their workrate. (However good Keith Jones was, he didn't have the same affect on the players around him.) Most league two players are (relatively) limited in their ability. The teams that do well are the ones that work hard and as a team.

I'm not sure he would be my first choice, but I wouldn't dismiss him just because he's spent so much time in the Far East and Africa.

Back