• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Now coaching a Malaysian side, Sabah.

But check out this interview from Hammers News

“It never really worked out for me there either (Huddersfield)but I went to Cambridge United, which is probably the best thing I ever did because I left home and learned to stand on my own two feet. It was a fantastic experience and John Beck was a team-mate, as was David Crown who later went to Southend with me.
“Cambridge needed money desperately and Southend were struggling so they paid £75,000 for me. I signed for Southend early in 1988 and I guarantee the first day I walked through the door, I drove home and said to my wife: ‘If I could give the money back now I would.’
“I’d walked into an environment where it was full of East End ‘wide boys’. It was like walking into a dressing room where there wasn’t any football kit around. There were shoes, jeans, jackets and suits on sale and I thought: ‘What the f*** have I walked into here?’
“I couldn’t believe it and the first time I walked through the door it was: ‘f*****g hell Butts, want a f*****g suit?’ I thought: ‘I can’t believe this, welcome to the East End’. It was like walking into a boot sale!
“But I had a wonderful five years at Southend. At first I hated it but I grew to love it and I had an experience I’ll never forget.
“We went on a roller coaster ride from the depths of the Third Division and ended up at the top of the First, playing in the fourth round of the FA Cup against Everton.
“We dragged that club up and produced some good players like Justin Edinburgh, Spencer Prior, Dean Austin, Brett Angell and myself. We all came through together and I absolutely loved it. To be honest, that’s probably the highlight of my career.
“I was 25 and I’d said to my wife I felt I would always earn a decent living in the First Division but that I’d never get a break. Then three weeks later I got a call from Billy Bonds at West Ham

and more:

“I always wanted to finish my career back at my home town club but I lived in Essex for 10 years and my wife loved it down there, so I’ve got a feeling I’ll end up back there one day.
“There was talk of me going back as assistant when Alvin took the job in 1997 but Southend couldn’t afford to pay a fee at that time.

sad.gif

That's made me all wistful and nostalgic. Ever since he left, we've been looking for "the new Peter Butler". What an awesome player; if only he were joining us now - I wouldn't be concerned for a minute that we were going to avoid the drop...

Matt

Back