• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Peter Clarke: top bloke but careless? Discuss.

Robbo

South Upper miserabilist
I was at Saturday's game and again was struck by how edgy I get when Peter Clarke gets involved around the box: great player, great battler but too prone to the occasional costly mistake.

Having just watched Saturday's highlights on Blues World it's worrying to see how much space the central defenders gave Carlisle as the ball was pumped into the box for the goal and then how Clarke's carelessness almost gifted them a second goal as we chased the equalizer.

The defence is still making me worried. Any views?

Its just after he leaves and everyone says how wonderful he was and how much better we were with him than without him....:p

Like the Blackpool fans who ripped up their season tickets and missed their promotion season?

nelson-muntz-12989.jpg

Does Peter Clarke actually make any more costly mistakes than anyone else in the team? I suspect this perception is a hangover from last season when he did struggle in a very fragile defence against some good quality forwards.

I've looked back over the match reports this season and can't find any mention of any real gaffes. In fact his ratings are consistently high which backs up his value to the team.

I still prefer him as part of a Clarke-Richards partnership in the centre. Not sure where this leaves Sir Adam though.

Does Peter Clarke actually make any more costly mistakes than anyone else in the team? I suspect this perception is a hangover from last season when he did struggle in a very fragile defence against some good quality forwards.

I've looked back over the match reports this season and can't find any mention of any real gaffes. In fact his ratings are consistently high which backs up his value to the team.

I still prefer him as part of a Clarke-Richards partnership in the centre. Not sure where this leaves Sir Adam though.

Hmmmm SB - have a look at his contribution in the Carlisle highlights where their guy (Lumsdon?) misses a sitter . Got away with that one but there is usually one or two per game like it .

takes cover , realising he could be agreeing with the Wigster on this one ...

I think a few people on here should get real. We're dealing with 3rd tier footballers FFS (they're never going to play for their country) so are bound to make the odd error from time to time. What's refreshing is that how we tend to have cover (like we did last time in L1) if somebody makes a mistake and 90% of the time it can be mopped up without providing the oppostion a goalscoring opportunity (Carlisle game excluded obviously!)

I think a few people on here should get real. We're dealing with 3rd tier footballers FFS (they're never going to play for their country) so are bound to make the odd error from time to time. What's refreshing is that how we tend to have cover (like we did last time in L1) if somebody makes a mistake and 90% of the time it can be mopped up without providing the oppostion a goalscoring opportunity (Carlisle game excluded obviously!)

I think the trouble is many people have been spoilt by our recent success and therefore are expecting the players to be better than they actually are...

Spencer Prior use to get crucified for making a howler every fourth game or so, and that was in the 4th division.

Peter Clarke makes a howler every other game in a division higher and is nowhere near the class of Spinner.

Spencer Prior use to get crucified for making a howler every fourth game or so, and that was in the 4th division.

Peter Clarke makes a howler every other game in a division higher and is nowhere near the class of Spinner.

Exactly. Spencer Prior was our best defender for the last 3 seasons and during his first spell with the club he was the best defender I've ever seen in a Southend shirt

Back