• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tice_18

First XI
Really getting quite annoyed with a lot of fans simply jumping on the bandwagon about Peter Gilbert.

Whilst I can appreciate there are many who don't think he's a good defender, or he doesn't bring much to the team, a lot of people seem to be blaming him for our supposed 'hoofball' tactics. Its quite clearly not Peter Gilbert's decision to make the team play a direct style, its a tactical instruction! I can't believe how far some people are going to blame Gilbert for our style of play! I appreciate this isn't everyone who is critisizing Gilbert, and I'm sure many people have genuine reasons for it, but personally I don't see what he's done to deserve this stick.

Whilst we were on our unbeaten run, I wasn't hearing complaints about his defending then? I dont have an issue with his defending, you look at the goals we've conceded this season and I don't think many of them have been down to him, going forward he's not as good as Clohessy on the other flank, but Clohessy is the best full back I've seen in the division so it is unfair to compare the two, especially as again, it could well be a tactical instruction for Sean to push on more and Peter Gilbert to sit back more. Despite this, he put in the cross that set up the own goal against Port Vale, which although didn't find a blue shirt, it pressured the defender, put it into an area where he had to do something about it, and eventually led to a goal, it also shows that he does get forward. He does alright going forward for Corners, especially for a full back, I think he's scored 1 so far but come close with a few and might even have a couple of assists.

As a defender I don't have any issues with Gilbert, I'll accept he's not the best left back we've ever had, equally he's not the worst. He's good in the air, defends his flank reasonably well and isn't prone to glaring errors. I don't see why the criticism upon him is justified, I wouldn't mind seeing a left back come in, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that means he should be getting as much stick as he is.

But mostly, please stop blaming him for 'hoofball'.

Hear, hear to that!
It would make a pleasing change if the numbskull "experts" on here were to refrain from their usual witchhunts, etc. Perhaps it would even encourage more people to join discussions about their beloved club on here.

I dont think you can blame the style of football for his decision to go long all the time.

Clohessey on the other flank dosent seem to have the same intructions if that is the case. Whilst I dont overly rate either full back I would ask you to consider what Sean offer to the side and then what Peter Gilbert does.

I dont think Gilbert is terrible but I think he is below the level that a top three side should expect. Defensively he is the best we have but that isnt my benchmark and attack wise he is woeful. He can barely pass a ball more than 5 yards without putting us under pressure. I look forward to the posts reminding me of his "assists" last match.

He is committed and works hard but fundamentaly as a player he is flawed. I dont boo him or shout abuse at him vuring games but if you asked me today for the weakest link its him by a country mile. I dont think he is a scape goat he is just a player that consistantly puts in average at best performances. If your a Barnet of L2 maybe you can accept that, if your in a seven horse race for three automatic slots for my mind you cant.

I disagree

If the likes of Gilbert and TBH Barker could actually manage to kick the ball to a team mate who is further than 3 yards away the the direct style of play would be lauded as exactly that, a decent , albeit direct, style of football. Its the individuals inablity to put their long pass in the same postcode as the intended recipient which is getting the style named as hoof ball.

I have been critical of Gilbert , he scares the living beejesus out of me 90% of the time the ball goes near him but he is not the only culprit when it comes to not being able to kick straight

I dont think you can blame the style of football for his decision to go long all the time.

Clohessey on the other flank dosent seem to have the same intructions if that is the case. Whilst I dont overly rate either full back I would ask you to consider what Sean offer to the side and then what Peter Gilbert does.

I dont think Gilbert is terrible but I think he is below the level that a top three side should expect. Defensively he is the best we have but that isnt my benchmark and attack wise he is woeful. He can barely pass a ball more than 5 yards without putting us under pressure. I look forward to the posts reminding me of his "assists" last match.

He is committed and works hard but fundamentaly as a player he is flawed. I dont boo him or shout abuse at him vuring games but if you asked me today for the weakest link its him by a country mile. I dont think he is a scape goat he is just a player that consistantly puts in average at best performances. If your a Barnet of L2 maybe you can accept that, if your in a seven horse race for three automatic slots for my mind you cant.

couldn't have put it better

I don't blame him for style of play I just don't rate him as a player never have I think he has improved from last year but for me he can't pass, tackle, head. His first touch is woeful and watch his positioning tomorrow he is constantly caught upfield and the wrong side of the winger, he is also constantly moaning and comes across up his own arse Rant over

Although I agree with the majority of the posts so far that Gilbert isn't really very good , in fact , and I can't believe I'm writing this , but if Prosser was given a decent run ( which he never gets ) he may turn out to be a better alternative - still can't believe I wrote that.......
Anyway , I'm getting off the point , the reason for the anti-Gilbert brigade right now is related to Mohsni and Gilberts obvious dislike of the man.
Gilbert was the one who spoke out openly against Mohsni and that has upset the majority.
I am a huge Mohsni fan ( flawed or not , he is different , and we need different from time to time ) and Gilbert should have kept everything within house.
He is right to have his opinion , and I respect that , but don't go moaning to the media , it's pathetic.

Although I agree with the majority of the posts so far that Gilbert isn't really very good , in fact , and I can't believe I'm writing this , but if Prosser was given a decent run ( which he never gets ) he may turn out to be a better alternative - still can't believe I wrote that.......
Anyway , I'm getting off the point , the reason for the anti-Gilbert brigade right now is related to Mohsni and Gilberts obvious dislike of the man.
Gilbert was the one who spoke out openly against Mohsni and that has upset the majority.
I am a huge Mohsni fan ( flawed or not , he is different , and we need different from time to time ) and Gilbert should have kept everything within house.
He is right to have his opinion , and I respect that , but don't go moaning to the media , it's pathetic.

The only reason Gilbert was crying after the Oldham game about Bilel was because he wasn't going to be going to Anfield.

Our fans have to have a fall-guy, sad fact of life. It's the same for many clubs' fans. The fact that it's a left back who has been part of one of the meanest defences in League Two can only be considered to be a good thing.

Really getting quite annoyed with a lot of fans simply jumping on the bandwagon about Peter Gilbert.

Whilst I can appreciate there are many who don't think he's a good defender, or he doesn't bring much to the team, a lot of people seem to be blaming him for our supposed 'hoofball' tactics. Its quite clearly not Peter Gilbert's decision to make the team play a direct style, its a tactical instruction! I can't believe how far some people are going to blame Gilbert for our style of play! I appreciate this isn't everyone who is critisizing Gilbert, and I'm sure many people have genuine reasons for it, but personally I don't see what he's done to deserve this stick.

Whilst we were on our unbeaten run, I wasn't hearing complaints about his defending then? I dont have an issue with his defending, you look at the goals we've conceded this season and I don't think many of them have been down to him, going forward he's not as good as Clohessy on the other flank, but Clohessy is the best full back I've seen in the division so it is unfair to compare the two, especially as again, it could well be a tactical instruction for Sean to push on more and Peter Gilbert to sit back more. Despite this, he put in the cross that set up the own goal against Port Vale, which although didn't find a blue shirt, it pressured the defender, put it into an area where he had to do something about it, and eventually led to a goal, it also shows that he does get forward. He does alright going forward for Corners, especially for a full back, I think he's scored 1 so far but come close with a few and might even have a couple of assists.

As a defender I don't have any issues with Gilbert, I'll accept he's not the best left back we've ever had, equally he's not the worst. He's good in the air, defends his flank reasonably well and isn't prone to glaring errors. I don't see why the criticism upon him is justified, I wouldn't mind seeing a left back come in, don't get me wrong, but I don't think that means he should be getting as much stick as he is.

But mostly, please stop blaming him for 'hoofball'.

Well said that man..:thumbsup:

I said in another thread about him putting the cross in for the own goal, yet even after that there were people around me in the east stand getting on his case for the smallest thing. The guy had a solid game that day but some people are never going to accept him..:unsure:

At the start of the season Prosser was excellent at left-back but then he fell down the pecking order and against Dagenham he had a nightmare. Gilbert's not done much wrong this season from what I've seen, yes his passing is pretty hopeless but Prosser's isn't much better either. Gilbert's a solid defender for League 2 which is the main thing, don't forget he won player of the year at Northampton and their fans didn't want him to go, and he's played at a higher level. We're 2nd in the league, he can't be doing that much wrong. I thought he was very good last Saturday. We have an excellent attacking full-back on the other side in Clohessy so I also think Gilbert offers some balance. You don't need Roberto Carlos in your team to get promotion out of this league, we got successive promotions with Che Wilson for goodness sake! Our fans just like to have a scapegoat and as Gilbert's one of the less talented players in the side, it's him. Let's get behind him tomorrow, I'm sure he'll be getting some stick from the home fans.

Our fans have to have a fall-guy, sad fact of life. It's the same for many clubs' fans. The fact that it's a left back who has been part of one of the meanest defences in League Two can only be considered to be a good thing.

Problem is we have two fall guys Gilbert and Prosser. People get fed up with people like me going on about hoofball. I get fed up with people calling hoofing the ball any which way as a 'direct style'. It is direct , straight to the opposition normally but it aint style.

Well said that man..:thumbsup:

I said in another thread about him putting the cross in for the own goal, yet even after that there were people around me in the east stand getting on his case for the smallest thing. The guy had a solid game that day but some people are never going to accept him..:unsure:

Put the ball in for the own goal !!! But in the paper it said that the own goal was totally unnecessary because no southend player was any where near him. And this is the proof he is a good player??

Once again, i just dont get this. We are second in th eleague only lost 5 league games all season, yet people still have to have something to moan about. Gilbert is a defender., thats what he is primarily paid to do and for what its worth i quite like him. he does the basics well and no his distribution is poor, but at times the midfield dont always provide an option. Our defence for the most part has been solid, thats why we are at the top and he has been a big part of it. People need to grow up and look at the broader picture. Its a team game, you win as one and lose as one. If you dont like it then dont bother turning up. Ive loved this season and when you support a club you support it through the thick and the thin as you do the players. UTB

Spot on.

O.K. he put in a good cross against Port Vale, but his passing from the back was horrendous, hardly ever finding a Blue shirt. It didn't go unnoticed, that's why he is getting a bit of stick on here. It was a bit like watching a golfer who has no control, strike the ball.

Put the ball in for the own goal !!! But in the paper it said that the own goal was totally unnecessary because no southend player was any where near him. And this is the proof he is a good player??

No

Its proof he was in the opponents half putting a cross in, which the Vale defender for whatever reason turned into his own net. But some people around me in the east still took it upon themselves to have a go at him no matter what.

I suppose if Martin had made that cross he would have been the new messiah.

'''I suppose if Martin had made that cross he would have been the new messiah.''''

He's not the messiah , he's a very naughty boy.

Back