• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
This one is probably tie of the round a future England player v a Busby babe and both answers to popular trivia questions.

A very difficult choice IMHO. On the one hand we have Phil Chisnall who was probably the most frustrating player of all time as he had superb skills but rarely used them. If he wanted it, he would be excellent. Trouble was, he didn't want it enough. Spud Taylor was a great product of our youth policy and was an excellent player for the short time we had him in the first team. I will remember for ever him tearing down the wing with his elbows out like an aeroplane. I also had the pleasure of playing cricket against him when one A. Rowley was the bowler and Spud was the wicket keeper (out first ball!) Spud for me.

Certaintly the most difficult choice(for me at least)so far.
Phil Chisnall was a great player for us and his ex-MU and Liverpool pedigree was obvious at our level even in the fourth division.He was part of that great team(in their Scotland shirts)that destroyed Bournemouth away 6-1 in the League Cup.
Spud was one of our own and went on to greater things at Palace,Spurs and with England.Probably for that alone he deserves the nod as he achieved more in the game as a player (and then a manager)than Phil Chisnall ever did.

Last edited:
As has been said a tough one, Chisnall could be very frustrating, one moment brilliant and the next he gave the impression it was all to much for him. It's possible the culture shock of Liverpool / Man Ure to Roots Hall may have impacted on him, but watching him in the same side as Clayton & Chico Hamilton and laying on chances for Billy Best and Gary Moore was a privilege to watch in that much vaunted 68/69season.

Spud came through the ranks at Roots Hall and to be fair Malcolm Allison probably rated him higher than the majority of Blues fans. Off he went to Palace for a staggering (reported) fee of 120k. He was scoring for England within a year.

I'm probably edging towards Taylor here.

As has been said a tough one, Chisnall could be very frustrating, one moment brilliant and the next he gave the impression it was all to much for him. It's possible the culture shock of Liverpool / Man Ure to Roots Hall may have impacted on him, but watching him in the same side as Clayton & Chico Hamilton and laying on chances for Billy Best and Gary Moore was a privilege to watch in that much vaunted 68/69season.

Spud came through the ranks at Roots Hall and to be fair Malcolm Allison probably rated him higher than the majority of Blues fans. Off he went to Palace for a staggering (reported) fee of 120k. He was scoring for England within a year.

I'm probably edging towards Taylor here.

Just like 'irenbird' did then. :)

As others have said-a difficult choice. Chisnall gifted but frustating, Taylor good enough to play for England. Like most contributors to this thread I'll be plumping for Taylor. Spud always gave 100%, brought over 100 grand into the club for his transfer fee and went on to become an international.

Gifted - that was Phil Chisnall-truly gifted.
But Spud is still a local hero and always will be

Got to be Spud Taylor, Chisnall a very gifted player but needed an all park player with him as imo Phil didnt cover every blade of grass on the pitch. Taylors first tough was so good at pace he could be round his fullback in a trice, and would poss be in a lot of fans alltime left sided player.

Very difficult for me. Spud was a great player who i watched play many times for Southend and Spurs. Whereas Phil Chisnall lived a couple of doors down from my family while he was at Southend and I was good friends with his elder daughter (not like that - we walked to infant school together). Phil and his wife were a very kind couple and very tolerant of all us local kids and I still think about his family fondly when I reminisce about those times. Sadly only saw him play in the street with the kids, never in a blue shirt so unable to vote on his ability so will probably have to abstain on this one.

Back