• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mfurok

Manager⭐
No tribute on Saturday. That is an absolute disgrace.

His death was mentioned in the programme apparently but there should most certainly have been a minute's silence before the game.

They do that sort of thing regularly here in Spain.Have we forgotten all about sportsmanship and remembering loyal club servants in the UK?

Given that Alan Moody was also in the East Reds on Saturday, he'll perhaps have been given a taste of how he'll be remembered by SUFC, too.

(I'm so glad I actually met Peter Watson and played table tennis against him-as a kid- after his career ending eye injury in Holland.He was a very nice man and the best centre half I've ever seen play for SUFC).

R.I.P.

Last edited:
Better remembered by the club he played 20 times for than the one he played 263 times for. Or perhaps they just have a better paper !!

a tribute

As a true legend imo Peter was the mainstay of our defence in the days of the W formation. He suffered double vision in a pre season friendly in I think the Netherlands. While he did play a few times after that was not the same player and had to retire from the game. I think it was late fifties but i do know that season after being top half old Div 3 while he was playing, we got relegated for the first time. It is only when a player doesn't play that you realise how important they are to the team. Whenever we do the favourite players on here Peter Watson is my first name on the list.
So glad I saw him play
UTB

As a true legend imo Peter was the mainstay of our defence in the days of the W formation. He suffered double vision in a pre season friendly in I think the Netherlands. While he did play a few times after that was not the same player and had to retire from the game. I think it was late fifties but i do know that season after being top half old Div 3 while he was playing, we got relegated for the first time. It is only when a player doesn't play that you realise how important they are to the team. Whenever we do the favourite players on here Peter Watson is my first name on the list.
So glad I saw him playUTB

We were relegated for the first time in 65/66.My parents had been season ticket holders up until that time but rarely bothered to watch (what was then) 4th division football afterwards.

Entirely agree with what you say about Peter Watson.

Yesterday I was speaking to Penny Watson, wife of former England International Dave, who is Peter's brother. It was to do with a little SUEPA project I've got brewing but I won't bore you with that now.

Anyway, by sheer coincidence, yesterday eve I posted up on SUEPA Facebook the latest season by season SUEPA membership review I'm currently doing and it was re 1960/61, the season Peter made his SUFC debut.

There are some nice comments on SZ re Peter's time with us which I'm sure Dave would live to see. If those of you with fond memories of Peter's time as a Shrimper could please kindly go on SUEPA Facebook and post them there that would be great. Penny is tagged in to the post so will see them and relay them to Dave who now sadly is suffering from dementia.

Thank you

Back