• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
League matches against Peterborough are tied at 19 wins apiece. Saturday gives us the opportunity to edge ahead with our first "double" of the season.

The referee is relatively inexperienced in only his second season as a League referee. He is Bristol-born Kevin Johnson from Weston-Super-Mare, a shaven-headed 38 year old who works in property maintenance.

Last season, his first in the League went reasonably well, albeit with only one Championship appointment. He showed an average-ish 95 yellows and 5 reds from 28 matches. Thus far this season his 17 games have seen 55 yellows and, as yet, no red (obviously been saving himself for Deegan). He recently got his first Championship match for a year at Fulham.

His previous Southend matches were both home games. Firstly, last season's home match against Shrewsbury when we won, and all the cards (4 yellows and a red) were shown to the visitors. Unsurprisingly there were few complaints.

Then earlier this season he took charge of our home win over Scunthorpe, again few complaints with our only yellow going to Deegan and three for the visitors. So 100% record with Mr Johnson.

There again so have Peterborough who he has only refereed once, last season's away win at Orient.

The season before last, he refereed the Gateshead/Grimsby play off semi-final; plenty of cards there.

His assistants are the incredibly short Matthew Buonassisi (né McLaughlin) from Bedford who can have a tendency to be a bit "busier" with the flag than always necessary and Stuart Eagland of Lichfield. Fourth Official will be Richard Kendall from Luton, one of the Assistants for the recent home defeat by Millwall.

Last edited:
His assistants are the incredibly short Matthew Buonassisi (né McLaughlin) from Bedford who can have a tendency to be a bit "busier" with the flag than always necessary and Stuart Eagland of Lichfield. Fourth Official will be Richard Kendall from Luton, one of the Assistants for the recent home defeat by Millwall.
Assuming it was Mr Bounassisi who gave the penalty, can you let us know next weeks lottery numbers please Mick?

Assuming it was Mr Bounassisi who gave the penalty, can you let us know next weeks lottery numbers please Mick?

It was but sorry, can't help. Lottery numbers are down to chance. Sadly, some officials are just too predictable.

Oh it was him who flagged for the pen.. If it is enough said.. an uncanny resemblance to a Hollywood actor

It is extremely rare that you find me standing on my chair shouting "******" at a match official.

Today you could

That's how bad that penalty decision was.

Thought the ref was pretty decent btw. Consistent throughout and didn't get card happy.

What is the refs stance on over ruling the Lino? He had just as good a view.
That apart had no complaints really about him.

It is extremely rare that you find me standing on my chair shouting "******" at a match official.

Today you could

That's how bad that penalty decision was.

Thought the ref was pretty decent btw. Consistent throughout and didn't get card happy.

I put this on the highlights thread, but I don't understand why the ref. allowed himself to be overruled by his linesman when he had a perfectly good view of the penalty/dive himself.

I put this on the highlights thread, but I don't understand why the ref. allowed himself to be overruled by his linesman when he had a perfectly good view of the penalty/dive himself.

Its really difficult because you don't know what either saw or what was said.

It all again comes down to instructions.... "if you see a penalty, be 100% sure it is one before you flag".

I actually don't think it was the assistants to give because the referees position was good enough. But if his view has been obstructed by a player or he isn't sure, and the assistant is adamant he is 100% correct then he can't really over rule him.

The whole thing, from an official's point of view, wasn't very good.

Its really difficult because you don't know what either saw or what was said.
It all again comes down to instructions.... "if you see a penalty, be 100% sure it is one before you flag".

I actually don't think it was the assistants to give because the referees position was good enough. But if his view has been obstructed by a player or he isn't sure, and the assistant is adamant he is 100% correct then he can't really over rule him.

The whole thing, from an official's point of view, wasn't very good.

I know what you mean, but it seems to me that the ref was in a very good position, and had no intention of giving anything until he saw his assistant getting all excited. It also seems to me that the assistant got so excited he didn't know what to do with his flag, and the ref went over to ask him what the hell he was getting at.

I think the final signal, the substitution one, was suggesting that he should be substituted by the Fourth Official.

Wouldn't the fact the ball went in the direction of the touchline indicate that Thompson played the ball first rather than the man ? (what do I know ! :winking:)

Well, it's not the first time we've discussed this assistant, but on the previous occasion it worked in our favour. The quotes below are from Hawkwell Blue and Brett Angle in that order, and the game was the home 3rd round FA Cup game vs Brentford 3 years ago. Brentford had a very slick offside trap for free kicks, but they had failed to do their homework on the (non)flag-waver.

<< It was close, as in was it 4 or 5 yards offside and were there 4 or 5 players offside too! After following the Blues for 43 years it the first "goal" I have not celebrated because I was waiting for it to be disallowed. >>

<< From my position in the Greens there were only 4 Southend players (inc Corr) in an offside position when the ball was kicked. We are due a bit of luck though. >>

Well, it's not the first time we've discussed this assistant, but on the previous occasion it worked in our favour. The quotes below are from Hawkwell Blue and Brett Angle in that order, and the game was the home 3rd round FA Cup game vs Brentford 3 years ago. Brentford had a very slick offside trap for free kicks, but they had failed to do their homework on the (non)flag-waver.

<< It was close, as in was it 4 or 5 yards offside and were there 4 or 5 players offside too! After following the Blues for 43 years it the first "goal" I have not celebrated because I was waiting for it to be disallowed. >>

<< From my position in the Greens there were only 4 Southend players (inc Corr) in an offside position when the ball was kicked. We are due a bit of luck though. >>

Good post that. :thumbsup:

Back