• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
The man in charge of tomorrow's early kick off will be Simon Hooper from Swindon refereeing Southend for the sixth time in his 8th season as a League referee. On Swindon’s books as a junior he was released at the age of 16 and turned his attentions towards refereeing. He also represented Wiltshire at tennis and athletics in his younger days.

He will need little introduction to most, being the man who refereed the Play-Off Final last year and who, in my opinion, did so rather badly. Someone must like him because he has already been given a Premiership match this season; suffice to say he probably won't get another one any time soon.

Before that final, his most recent Southend match was the unfortunate game at Mansfield the season before last when we lost 2-1 and had Clifford sent off along with yellows for Bentley, White and Barnard. Phil Brown went very public with his criticism of the referee on this occasion and it seemed from the Wembley performance that Hooper still bears a grudge!

Before that it was the early season home draw with Northampton in 2011/12 - yellows for Mohsni, Grant and Phillips and 2 yellows and a red for them. His previous visit to Roots Hall was the match against Brighton (0-1) which I believe sealed our relegation in 2009/10. Only a yellow apiece, ours went to Moussa.

The other match was a win at Hereford, as always, in 2008/9 with all four yellows going to the home team.

He was also 4th Official at the away leg of our Orient JPT triumph en route to our last visit to Wembley.

His card count this season is a low 11 yellows and no reds from 6 matches, having been pretty average last season in this respect.

Assisting are John O'Brien from London and decent non-league referee Alan Young from Ely. The latter works as Referee Development Manager for the Cambridgeshire FA. Fourth Official is a "proper" referee as the match is being televised, Tim Robinson from Bognor Regis.

Really, what I think we need to be reading is something along these lines:

"The man in charge of tomorrow's early kick off will be Simon Hooper from Swindon refereeing Southend for the sixth time in his 8th season as a League referee. The last match of ours he officiated was the Play Off Final where he was really crap, and has agreed to allow us to win by way of an apology."

I'm sure Peterborough would understand.

Assisting are John O'Brien from London and decent non-league referee Alan Young from Ely. The latter works as Referee Development Manager for the Cambridgeshire FA.

It's uncanny how many 'ex Blues' are officiating at the Hall recently!.......

Oh dear; he MUST know he wasn't very good at Wembley (or Norwich). We must hope that he has a good game in him and it is tomorrow.
At best, and trying to be positive, most of our squad will know what to expect from him - not a lot!

Our only hope is that his "performance" in the play-off final was just a "bad day at the office".

Got to wonder if he is just a wannabe politician...crap in front of the cameras :winking:

Hopefully he'll have been told how crap he was at Wembley and keen to make it up to us! Anything to please annoy the POSH hierarchy!

Our only hope is that his "performance" in the play-off final was just a "bad day at the office".

Got to wonder if he is just a wannabe politician...crap in front of the cameras :winking:

I think Norwich fans would question whether his performance was just a one-off!

Well the plus point is that we still won the Play Off Final with him in charge!

Well the plus point is that we still won the Play Off Final with him in charge!

Technically we drew it; we won the supplementary competition to determine who goes up in the event of a draw.

This being a live TV game MUST have been a thought for the FA when Mr Hooper was appointed; are they expecting him to give it his A game while knowing that any major errors won't escape comment - or are they looking for evidence by which they can "demote" him down the league listing & rebut any industrial job related employment dispute?
It is an odd ref to have, for us, for a live game, given Mr Hooper's previous recent history.

This being a live TV game MUST have been a thought for the FA when Mr Hooper was appointed; are they expecting him to give it his A game while knowing that any major errors won't escape comment - or are they looking for evidence by which they can "demote" him down the league listing & rebut any industrial job related employment dispute?
It is an odd ref to have, for us, for a live game, given Mr Hooper's previous recent history.
Not at all. He is, for reasons lost on me, viewed as one of the top Football League referees. He did the live game between Barnsley and Everton..

15 minutes in and nothing has changed; how does this guy keep his job!!

15 minutes in and nothing has changed; how does this guy keep his job!!

I said it at Wembley and I've said it again today (before finding out it was the same person) that he is the worst referee I've ever watched, and if I was as bad at my job as he is at his, I would not have a job!

Clueless referee and if he is highly rated then clueless FA!

He was bad, should have given SEND at least one penalty and what was going on with the added time, I thought he was never blow his whistle.

Marks 1 out of 10

Back