• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Man in charge Saturday will be seventh year referee Brendan Malone from Salisbury refereeing his eleventh Southend match.

He is one of the referees suffering as a result of the new full-time Select Group 2 officials refereeing predominantly Championship games. Previously he would have been doing a reasonable number of Championship matches, but this season his 12 matches thus far have been restricted to the lower echelons.

His tenth Southend match back in March went rather well for us, being our 2-0 win at promoted Barnsley which until the Millwall match was our last Saturday win anywhere. Jack Payne's early goal and Timlin's late goal secured the points and Bentley and Wordsworth got our two yellows. Also two yellows for Barnsley.

The ninth match also went rather well for us with a 3-0 home win against Coventry not that much previously. Main talking points were his perfectly justified dismissal of Deegan and, much later in the game, his failure to send off their keeper after awarding us a penalty. Again I thought that decision was reasonable. As well as Deegan's two yellows and their keeper's yellow he also cautioned Bolger.

Before that his most recent match was the season before last's home 0-0 draw with Cambridge. One yellow apiece - Timlin for us. Previously, also that same season, the 2-0 defeat at Plymouth when he upset Phil Brown in a match which produced 6 yellows for the home team and a yellow and red for Bolger and a yellow for Thompson who replaced Bolger at the back after his very early dismissal.

Before that it was the 2-2 home draw with Barnet in 2012/3. Yellow for Timlin and 4 of theirs.

A year before it was our inevitable win at Hereford. Prior to that it was 2011/12's home match against an inept Port Vale side when a 3-0 victory gave us our first home League win for a couple of months. They had one sent off and a couple of yellows with just Benyon cautioned for us.

He was in charge of the "dead" match, our fourth game against Macclesfield in 2010/11. Previously he was a late replacement for the Gillingham home game also that season (2-2, 5 yellows, 4 theirs, 1 ours) and, more memorably, before that he refereed the abandoned match at Cheltenham and the rather more successful re-arranged fixture. He cautioned Barry Corr for time wasting right at the end.

He has shown a just slightly high 40 yellows and 2 reds from those 12 matches, the vast majority being home wins; his only away victory was the opening day of the season.

The Assistants are Ashvin Degnarain from Islington and Matthew Lee from West Sussex with Geoff Russell from Rushden doing the Fourth Official stuff.

He was alright, the ref.

Did let them get away with more niggly fouls than we were allowed and Inniss was unlucky to be cautioned, though Anton had just given old matey boy a mouthful, so he probably thought he owed us one.

Overall, he got the key decisions right, so a steady 7 for him, I think.

He was alright, the ref.

Did let them get away with more niggly fouls than we were allowed and Inniss was unlucky to be cautioned, though Anton had just given old matey boy a mouthful, so he probably thought he owed us one.

He should be, he does it for a living.

It was not the scheduled Brendan Malone, but instead James Adcock from Long Eaton, one of the full-time Select Group 2 officials.

He was alright, the ref.

I think it was the double gesture that got him booked; if he'd just done the one, he might have got away with it, but I felt he was correct in booking him.

Gave a few strange decisions, but overall I thought he was OK.

Back