• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Mod too⭐⭐
Staff member
On Wednesday the team are off to the ABAX Stadium in the CheckaTrade Trophy. Not everyones favourite but it is the second round and the only Cup we still have an interest in. Barring unknown injuries, and assuming Kightly is definitely out I reckon we will start with this 11.

Oxley
Demi Ferdinand Turner Hendrie
Wright Lenny Wordsworth McLaughlin
Cox Fortune

although PB may rest Lenny and Fortune and possibly one of the CBs. If that happens I expect to see White, Ranger and Timlin make an appearance.

I got the jist from Phil's interview, that Timlin could well be coming in as a centre half for this one. That being said, we never know what PB's thought process is.

Either which way, It will be a strong line up. Phil wants the prize money for the January transfer market.

If Timlin was played at CB ahead of JW... I think I'd hand on a transfer request come January if it were me.

I'd be surprised if we are at full strength.

Think we'll go :-

Oxley
Bwomono White Turner Hendrie
McGlashan Wright Timlin Yearwood
Ranger Ba

Think we'd pack the subs though with the likes of Cox, Fortune, McLaughlin and Lenny.

Think PB will go for a semi strong side as it’s our only cup left. Back four for me would be the same except White in for either Ferdinand to Turner. Both maybe in need of a rest before the Xmas period.

I think Woody will come in for Kightly, and maybe Timlin in for McL or Wright.

Ranger in for MAF as well.

Oxley
Demi Turner White Hendrie
McL Woody Lenny Timlin
Ranger Cox

Still looks a pretty strong XI in my eyes, with Wright, Fortune, Yearwood, Ba, Ferdinand and McG on the bench.

There is a case for Elvis, but he will get games when Demi is away on international duty.

Fortune, Kightly, Cox and Ferdinand to be rested.

Would be nice to see Elvis and Dru. But its also a chance for Wordsworth to get fit.

I think we'll be seeing a few changes for this one. Anton, MAF, Turner maybe even Cox. I would expect a few of the younger lads to come in and White to partner one of them at CB.

Think PB will go for a semi strong side as it’s our only cup left. Back four for me would be the same except White in for either Ferdinand to Turner. Both maybe in need of a rest before the Xmas period.

I think Woody will come in for Kightly, and maybe Timlin in for McL or Wright.

Ranger in for MAF as well.

Oxley
Demi Turner White Hendrie
McL Woody Lenny Timlin
Ranger Cox

Still looks a pretty strong XI in my eyes, with Wright, Fortune, Yearwood, Ba, Ferdinand and McG on the bench.

There is a case for Elvis, but he will get games when Demi is away on international duty.

That does look very strong, you're right. I don't agree with people saying we have a small squad, I think it's quite the opposite, I've never seen such a big squad at Southend where we have quality throughout. I've said it so many times, we've been really underachieving thus far.

Yes, back to London Road. And despite all the plaudits that are thrown at Peterborough they are 1 point ahead of us in the league. Posh are still in the F.A. Cup though - scrapping a draw against Woking today ........... so it looks like they will have a cup game midweek for the next 2 weeks along with their weekend games (including at home to Blackburn on Saturday).

Makes for quite an interesting situation for the Posh manager. :smile:

Forgot about Wordy.

Might give him 60 minutes, to see how he goes.

I reckon both the Macca's will run the wings on this one. With Wordsy in the middle along side Leonard.

As mentioned prior, Hendrie will keep he's shirt at left back & Timlin will either a CB or on the subs bench.

Cox And MAF up front, with Ranger & Ba on the bench.

Unless of course we play a 5-3-2. Which in that case, throws up a whole new bag of worms. Actually, the more I think about, the more it makes sense.

How many do we think we will take? It's a short drive for me from Cambridge and yeah been made a tinpot cup now but hey its a Southend game after all

I'd go as near the same team as fitness allows. Could win it, go through, maybe even go some distance. No changes unless they are necessary please

I hope our young prospects, Yearwood, Elvis and Ba all start the game. It is important that they play in as many competitive matches as possible rather than being limited to under 23 games. They are all good enough to feature in the first team but will learn nothing by sitting on the bench week by week.

I hope our young prospects, Yearwood, Elvis and Ba all start the game. It is important that they play in as many competitive matches as possible rather than being limited to under 23 games. They are all good enough to feature in the first team but will learn nothing by sitting on the bench week by week.

They will also not have any other opportunity when we get dumped out of the last remaining cup competition of the season by playing a much weaker team due to making too many changes and playing too many youngsters.

Who would be a manager eh :winking:

They will also not have any other opportunity when we get dumped out of the last remaining cup competition of the season by playing a much weaker team due to making too many changes and playing too many youngsters.

Who would be a manager eh :winking:

Yes, it is a fine balancing act at times. Give youngsters the time on the pitch to develop and seasoned pros in the opposition might just eat up them and the rest of our team for tea. We have lost to Newport and Yeovil already in the cup and I can't think that Phil and Graham are keen to repeat that experience tomorrow night.

Even having good players on the bench is not much of an insurance policy - coming on after 60 minutes means that 2/3rds of the game is gone and that doesn't take any account of the player needing some time to get up to speed with the game and their opposite player.

All very interesting. Let's just go for the win I say.

Back