• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Peterborough v Southend United, 23 March 2019

Pick your team here folks; plus - win, lose or draw?

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 84 53.8%
  • Nathan Bishop

Votes: 59 37.8%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 44 28.2%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 86 55.1%
  • Sam Hart

Votes: 134 85.9%
  • John White

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • Rob Kiernan

Votes: 136 87.2%
  • Michael Turner

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • Harry Lennon

Votes: 77 49.4%
  • Taylor Moore

Votes: 115 73.7%
  • Tim Dieng

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • Sam Mantom

Votes: 56 35.9%
  • Dru Yearwood

Votes: 123 78.8%
  • Luke Hyam

Votes: 99 63.5%
  • Michael Kightly

Votes: 33 21.2%
  • Stephen McLaughlin

Votes: 66 42.3%
  • Isaac Hutchinson

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Charlie Kelman

Votes: 36 23.1%
  • Norman Wabo

Votes: 48 30.8%
  • Simon Cox

Votes: 137 87.8%
  • Harry Bunn

Votes: 92 59.0%
  • ______________________

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Win

• Lose

Votes: 45 28.8%
  • Draw

• Total voters

Spaceman Spiff

Attila the Admin ⭐
Staff member
Righto people. Lets be positive please! Consign all negative thoughts to the past; rub your crystals; dust off the rabbits foot; hoover the prayer mat and put your best foot forward to support the mighty Shrimpers to three much needed points at Posh. A repeat of last year's scoreline would be smashing, God, if you're reading this.

Ok, I've gone for broke here and tried something different. Bear with me on this.

For me, our midfield is our weakness, especially out wide. Injuries have hampered defence and attack this season but the midfield has been for more present bodily - but contributed less overall. However, we do have people that can pass, run at defenders and cross a ball so we need to put them wide midfield and go 4-4-2 and balls out for a win.

Oxley
White Kiernan Lennon Moore

Demetriou Yearwood Hyam Hart

Cox Wabo

Subs: picked on form, cover needs from who is available

Now, I'm not wedded to my two full backs if others have different suggestions - but the point I'm making is that we need midfielders who can a) attack and b) defend. Stop using them as wing backs and get some others to fill in the full back slots behind.

Feel free to shoot me down in flames. Ready? Go!

Bishop

Demi Kiernan Lennon Hart

McLaughlin Hyam Yearwood Kightly

Dieng

Cox

Don't play 5 at the back. They're out of form too with only 1 more point in the last 5 games than us. Bring Dru back in as we were massively missing a runner in the middle on Saturday. I quite like Hyam, he just recycles the play well but he needs to play in a side than has wingers so he has outlets all the time as being the complete opposite to Dru, he's not gonna run with it.

I'm not a massive fan of Dieng in the more advanced role but going on the points Ron was alluding to about CP's preferred style of play it needs a focal point in attack.

With the ridiculously tight bottom half of the table, one win probably makes us safe. There's more than enough talent in that side

I thought Bishop was away with the England u19 this week and unavailable?

It's worth saying again - well done Sam Hart. He's grown into the team and is now one of the first names on the team sheet for me, alongside Coxy. If only the others could show as much desire.

It's worth saying again - well done Sam Hart. He's grown into the team and is now one of the first names on the team sheet for me, alongside Coxy. If only the others could show as much desire.

When he first appeared in the first team there were many that just didn't rate the guy. Interestingly, now, if you were to trawl back through the last few starting 11 polls, you will see that Sam is up there with Coxy in the votes awarded.

Ok, I've gone for broke here and tried something different. Bear with me on this.

For me, our midfield is our weakness, especially out wide. Injuries have hampered defence and attack this season but the midfield has been for more present bodily - but contributed less overall. However, we do have people that can pass, run at defenders and cross a ball so we need to put them wide midfield and go 4-4-2 and balls out for a win.

Oxley

Cox Wabo

Now, I'm not wedded to my two full backs if others have different suggestions - but the point I'm making is that we need midfielders who can a) attack and b) defend. Stop using them as wing backs and get some others to fill in the full back slots behind.

but why keep tinkering with the team, its clear we haven't got a foggy how to play, so just go 4-4-2. with players that all know there best positions, and work through the basics.. dont start trying to try players in different positions this late in the season , would you really play left and a right back as wingers when our survival is this critical?

When he first appeared in the first team there were many that just didn't rate the guy. Interestingly, now, if you were to trawl back through the last few starting 11 polls, you will see that Sam is up there with Coxy in the votes awarded.

That in itself shows just how much young players need some time to adapt, whether it be to the new surroundings, new team, or different standards....it’s why I look at the intentions and the effort of a yong player rather than the outcome.....the outcome will always improve if the effort and intent is there.

That in itself shows just how much young players need some time to adapt, whether it be to the new surroundings, new team, or different standards....it’s why I look at the intentions and the effort of a yong player rather than the outcome.....the outcome will always improve if the effort and intent is there.
Which, in turn, creates an interesting dilemma for Powell next season. A fit Coker? A confident & fit Hendrie? A permanent bid for Hart? Or a Kyprianou n his original position. We shall see.

Bishop

Demi Kiernan Lennon Hart

McLaughlin Hyam Yearwood Kightly

Dieng

Cox

Don't play 5 at the back. They're out of form too with only 1 more point in the last 5 games than us. Bring Dru back in as we were massively missing a runner in the middle on Saturday. I quite like Hyam, he just recycles the play well but he needs to play in a side than has wingers so he has outlets all the time as being the complete opposite to Dru, he's not gonna run with it.

I'm not a massive fan of Dieng in the more advanced role but going on the points Ron was alluding to about CP's preferred style of play it needs a focal point in attack.

With the ridiculously tight bottom half of the table, one win probably makes us safe. There's more than enough talent in that side
With the ridiculously tight bottom half of the table, and with consequently so many "six-pointer" games still to be played with no obvious whipping boys (except maybe us and Bradford), three wins will most likely be necessary. Personally I will only feel confident if we get to 52 points.

Off topic , but just checked the fixtures of all 13 teams in a relegation scrap ( from Plymouth down - they are on 45 points ) and the number of fixtures involving both teams is high ( although guess it would be given its half the teams in the League ! ).

What I'm trying to say is that many teams will drop points ( because they're playing each other ) , so we dont need a huge upturn to stay in the League.

Having said that , I can't see where our next point is coming from.

So I dont really know what point i'm trying to make .....

Hope someone does.......

I'll get my coat

but why keep tinkering with the team, its clear we haven't got a foggy how to play, so just go 4-4-2. with players that all know there best positions, and work through the basics.. dont start trying to try players in different positions this late in the season , would you really play left and a right back as wingers when our survival is this critical?

Yes, because Kightly is utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, utter, utter double gash with bells on and McLaughlin does at least try but is still utter gash. We need people that actually have a scooby about what to do with a football. We wonder why CP keeps picking defenders? Its because the available midfielders have had chance after chance after chance after chance to earn their megabucks (for us) salaries and have singularly failed to do so every single time they have got anywhere near the pitch. Hart and Demetriou can play wide mid - Demi is an international in that position for Chrissakes! Hart was the only one other than Cox who knew what to do once he left our half of the pitch on Saturday! Start them there and make the most of it. If we persist with the dross that Kightly, McLaughlin, Mantom and Dieng serve up time and again we can say 'hello' to trips to Exeter and Carlisle next year.

I think I'd stick to the same shape in defence.

It's not my favourite formation but it's one we've had success in, particularly away from home. I think the players will be more comfortable continuing in a shape that we've been using for the last couple of weeks than switching again.

We're also coming up for a run of opponents (Fleetwood, Wycombe) who we beat with 3 centre-halves earlier in the season.

If Lennon is fit Moore would come in for Turner. I'd look to have Dru in midfield. I'd still have Elvis at RB and Demi at LB but I'm in a minority there and Hart seems to be getting better and better.

I think we have half a dozen proven first team players in Oxley, Demi, Kiernan, Lennon, Hyam and Bunn who are coming back from injury and aren't at top form yet. They are going to get better with every match they play for the next month.

It's also worth noting that we start April with 4 matches against teams we beat earlier in the season.

Oxley

Cox Wabo

Good selection but I would have Dieng up front with cox

I haven't read all the posts in depth, but I'm assuming Demi isn't away with Cyprus this weekend then?

Oxley
Demetriou Kiernan Lennon Hart
Bunn Yearwood Hyam McLaughlin
Cox Kelman
Let's go 442 with 2 strikers on the pitch. I would like to see Yearwood back in the side as someone likely to run with the ball as opposed to the other CM's who are all very similar DM players.

We need wins so I pray to God we see some attacking football.

Powell needs a big result to bring the fans back onside

Back