• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Petrol in a diesel car.

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
A relative has just filled their diesel car with unleaded and driven off chugging to a halt very soon afterwards.

Is the engine likely to be ****ed?

Will need totally flushing by a garage but I'm sure GHG will be able to advise better. Some insurance companies cover for this nowerdays

A relative has just filled their diesel car with unleaded and driven off chugging to a halt very soon afterwards.

Could well cost a packet to get it fixed. It would have been less bad if they had realised their mistake before driving off. That way you just need to drain the fuel tank and start again...

If it's petrol in a diesel car can't you just syphon the tank and run it through (keep on topping up with diesel?). I wouldn't recommend it but when I got my latest car (a diesel) I was so worried I read up on it!

The other way around is worse I think (and why a diesel nozzle is bigger at the pump)

Actually turning on the ignition is enough to get fuel into the engine. On some diesels opening the door is enough because it preps the engine for ignition.

Never understood why the nozzles for diesel & petrol are the same shape and/or size.

Never understood why the nozzles for diesel & petrol are the same shape and/or size.

They're not, diesel nozzles are bigger. I've not tried it but apparently you can't get a diesel nozzle in a petrol hole.

They're not, diesel nozzles are bigger. I've not tried it but apparently you can't get a diesel nozzle in a petrol hole.

You could be right: I know plenty of people who've done petrol in diesel but not the other way around. Comes with work vans being diesel and your own car generally petrol. Never done it myself :smile:

You could be right: I know plenty of people who've done petrol in diesel but not the other way around. Comes with work vans being diesel and your own car generally petrol. Never done it myself :smile:

In flying there is a common saying about any mistake: There are those pilots that have made said mistake, and those that haven't made said mistake...yet.

Don't get complacent, it could cost you a lot! I always double check before I fill up, and I haven't driven a petrol car for over 10 years.

In flying there is a common saying about any mistake: There are those pilots that have made said mistake, and those that haven't made said mistake...yet.

Don't get complacent, it could cost you a lot! I always double check before I fill up, and I haven't driven a petrol car for over 10 years.

Do what I did, buy a black diesel car so that the pump colour matches the car colour (and also look a bit gangster!)

A relative? It's ok Cyril we've got your back :winking:

Could well cost a packet to get it fixed.

I did this in March - exactly one week after getting a new car. Main dealer towed it and fixed it - 650 quid - plus the 50 quids worth of petrol I lost.
Not one of my best days.

I did this in March - exactly one week after getting a new car. Main dealer towed it and fixed it - 650 quid - plus the 50 quids worth of petrol I lost.
Not one of my best days.

£270 for system drain. Car is running perfectly....for now.

Back